PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Sensor, Pex OR BOWA or BMW Genuine?

alirzn
06-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi,
I am going to buy a rear brake pad sensor for my 2005 530I. I was wondering which brand is better and if I buy the PEX or BOWA, do they work like the original one? The PEX and BOWA are much cheaper that Genuine. What do you prefer?

todd92
06-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Doesn't matter. It's just wire that wears through when rubbed by the rotor.

boramkiv
06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Doesn't matter. It's just wire that wears through when rubbed by the rotor.

Word!
You should be more concerned about the brakes themselves. The sensor quality doesn't matter at all. Cheaper is usually better in this case. I'm sure there are quite a few people on here that can make one. :rofl:

PEX_Sensors
10-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Word!
You should be more concerned about the brakes themselves. The sensor quality doesn't matter at all. Cheaper is usually better in this case. I'm sure there are quite a few people on here that can make one. :rofl:

For what itís worth, since itís been some time since this post was made, sensors made with cheap plastic can easily overheat and malfunction. PEX electronic brake pad sensors are built with advanced heat-resistant plastics that can withstand high temperatures caused by braking. This attention to detail means a safer ride and peace of mind.
Also, check out our oven test comparing our part with the competition.

http://youtu.be/hL2je0h4Wgo?list=UUsFDIYFmBZ5iV-6Z8Z3vGjg
We hope this was helpful. Feel free to check out our site, pexna.com, and join our discussions! :)

l1tech
10-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Is the oven in that video set to 500 degrees Celsius? Brakes on F1 cars run at that temperature, the brakes on your E60 are going to have a lot bigger issues than a melted sensor if they ever get that hot. FWIW I have never seen a BMW with a melted wear sensor. What would be interesting is if the video showed the actual temperature of the other sensor when it starts to melt. I'm sure PEX knows.

Jaystyles
10-17-2014, 07:58 AM
I've used BOWA with no issues from pelican parts. In fact it was the only option when i ordered my pads.

PEX_Sensors
10-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Is the oven in that video set to 500 degrees Celsius? Brakes on F1 cars run at that temperature, the brakes on your E60 are going to have a lot bigger issues than a melted sensor if they ever get that hot. FWIW I have never seen a BMW with a melted wear sensor. What would be interesting is if the video showed the actual temperature of the other sensor when it starts to melt. I'm sure PEX knows.

Yes, hereís why we test at 500 degrees:
Different car makers and pad manufacturers have different temperature limits. There is no official standard so those guys carry out testing by putting a temperature sensor somewhere in or around the brake system.
Pex Hungary has been OE Manufacturer since 1990ís and never had a set standard but instead built sensors to their customers (like MB, Porsche etc) requirements. Of course, they gave them guidance and usually would err on the side of caution by recommending a high limit.
Continental set the highest limits at 500 degrees. Others ranged from 380 upwards. Pex has taken the highest limit to put the resistance of the material beyond question.
We were in Toronto recently and met with a senior project engineer. He said they put a temp sensor on the back of the DPlate (of the pad) and it tested 380-400 degrees. Interestingly, he added that it could vary on where you put the temp sensor.
Other sensor suppliers have promoted lower temperature resistance levels but most donít mention it all.
So, as there is no standard, it is important to us that a reasonable standard is arrived at and we keep to it. Some promote a standard and donít meet it and many donít have a standard at all.
We have a standard Ė the standard is a high one. No apologies for that as it has been set by one of the biggest and most trusted companies in the world (Continental). Maybe itís higher than testing limits or estimates of some but when it comes to safety we want to ensure our sensors can withstand even the most extreme conditions.

Blue Blood
10-17-2014, 10:29 PM
What about the rotors, do they need to be replaced like the dealer seems to want to do?

boramkiv
10-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Well, it's not like the sensor is feeding back brake temp and pressure readings or moisture level readings for telemetry purposes.
That was my initial thought with this thread.
A basic design for road use where temp readings will not get high enough to cause issues, and it's purpose is to simply make contact with itself to tell you that your pads, and only your pads are worn.
But hey, to each his own.