PDA

View Full Version : Check this Bill out for my 2006 750i leak.

kwang0429
06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
The most expensive leak fix ever .................

and I know those guys are doing their best to help me since I've known them for years......... sucks for 2 days of labour !!!

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/252664_10152000987490355_34936580_n.jpg

pkathee
06-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Wow!

Your 750 only has 51k miles and it has all these leaks? I can vouch for the Alternator Housing Bracket Gasket but the rest....I mean, valve covers, timing covers etc. Seems a little too extreme.

Oh, I forgot. BMW engineering.........FAIL!

Take heart brother. On a brighter side, it is a good thing that you have all the gaskets replaced. There is no excuse for any type of oil leak anytime soon. :thumbup:

PREDATOR 007
06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
WOW, that is a kick i the pants.

Bimmerfan27
06-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Wow!!! $2500 worth of labor, that really hurts

Rookie2008
06-24-2012, 06:03 PM
You can do valve cover an timing cover for under $1000.00 parts an labor

Valve cover gasket $80.00 fir both Left, Right side.

Spark Plugs $40.00 ($8.00 ea)

CCV $40.00 ($20.00 es)

Timing Cover gasket $40.00 ($20.00 ea)

Alternator Gasket $2.99

* Optional You can change the spark plug tubes if you like $256.00 ($32.00 ea)

Labor $400.00

samadkins29
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM

CCV $40.00 ($20.00 es)

Alternator Gasket $2.99

Labor $400.00

Lol thats ****ed up to post this AFTER..... :rofl:

Rookie2008
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
What I was just trying to help:(:rofl:

sirstopher
06-24-2012, 06:21 PM
I like how they rounded the total to a nice and even 3200.00

Rookie2008
06-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Just find your self a good Indy. Were in L.A are you? I know a good BMW Tech that you can get a price quote from if you like. Just PM me

jenkx
06-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Not surprising, the labor for the timing cover gaskets and alternator bracket gaskets is time intensive. However, I got all that and my valve stem seals done for $3,500. Shop around.

bigugly fab
06-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow they took you to the cleaners.
I do upper timing case covers and valve cover gaskets for 10 hours, and the alternator Oring for 9. I also don't replace the vacuum pump, I reseal it for less than it costs

kwang0429
06-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Just find your self a good Indy. Were in L.A are you? I know a good BMW Tech that you can get a price quote from if you like. Just PM me

I am actually in San Diego :(

PRBMW7ser05
06-24-2012, 11:41 PM
I just had mine done. My car has 91k and I had my guy prepare a list of all parts needed. I also did a complete hose replacement on my care. All parts from ECS cost under $550.00. Original BMW parts. He also did an oil change, 90k service, Four wheel alignment, Brakes squeaking. Rough up the surface with sanding disk, Replaced coolant overflow tank (tank was $72.00), Valve clean, and some other minor service items. He did everything for $1,800.00. Dealer was over $3500.00. The car runs great!!!

PAPER
06-25-2012, 12:27 AM
you can do valve cover an timing cover for under $1000.00 parts an labor

valve cover gasket $80.00 fir both left, right side.

Spark plugs $40.00 ($8.00 ea)

ccv $40.00 ($20.00 es)

timing cover gasket $40.00 ($20.00 ea)

alternator gasket $2.99

* optional you can change the spark plug tubes if you like $256.00 ($32.00 ea)

labor $400.00

that's a total of $858.99 .
What shop will do all that work for that price ???
# & address so i can make an appointment please ...

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:27 AM
I had all that done for $500.00 Did you forget?????? I did it all except timing cover gasket Alternator gasket and Spark plug tubes. Plus subtract the optional part I listed (Spark plug tubes) Now what you come up with???

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Looks more like $560.00.....

PAPER
06-25-2012, 12:57 AM
I ONLY NEED VALVE COVERS DONE . MY DRIVER SIDE HAS A SMALL LEAK .
i FIGURED MIGHT AS WELL DO BOTH SIDES .

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 01:01 AM
The guy who did mines is no longer avaliable. My BMW Tech Guy can do both sides Valve cover an Timing cover for $495.00 each side $990.00 out the door (That's parts an labor). As for what else he includes I never asked.

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 09:51 AM
First off, if the valve covers come off, DO THE TIMING CASE COVERS.
Secondly, if the valve covers come off, REPLACE THE SPARK PLUG TUBES.
Thirdly, if the person who is doing it CANNOT readapt the valvetronic via an appropriate scan tool, you risk damaging the engine...... Like bending or dropping a valve. I have seen it many times.

Those who think they are getting a good deal probably do not understand they are not getting the parts that NEED to be replaced. To each their own, there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.......

kwang0429
06-25-2012, 10:52 AM
so how much should an actual indy cost to repair all these listed on the bill?

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:02 PM
First off, if the valve covers come off, DO THE TIMING CASE COVERS.
Secondly, if the valve covers come off, REPLACE THE SPARK PLUG TUBES.
Thirdly, if the person who is doing it CANNOT readapt the valvetronic via an appropriate scan tool, you risk damaging the engine...... Like bending or dropping a valve. I have seen it many times.

Those who think they are getting a good deal probably do not understand they are not getting the parts that NEED to be replaced. To each their own, there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.......

I fully agree with the 1st an 2nd but disagree with the 3rd you DO NOT HAVE TO TOUCH VARIABLE TIMING PERIOD. I don't know if that's what you mean but my tech is a master tech for Center BMW here in Sherman Oaks for 14yrs Not only is he certified on 1,3,5 m X models he is certified on the E65/E66 Which most Tech lack. He has all the credentials on the wall to prove his qualification. The next thing is he said if you are changing Timing cover case you need to do nothing with valve. the only way you can drop a valve is when you are do valve stem seals an you need a compression kit. An they make several different kinds.

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:06 PM
For the record there is No way I am giving the dealer or anyone for that matter $3200.00 to do the work that member has been quoted. As for me thinking I am getting a good deal .... NO BUDDY I DID. No I did not change the tubes but they were not cracked or leaking so yea TO EACH THEIR OWN!

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Timing case cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, Vanos orings,valvetronic seals, cam sensor orings, reseal vacuum pump, crank case vent valves, spark plug tubes,oil pressure switch parts labor tax runs about 2100 bucks or so.

Alternator bracket runs about 920 parts labor tax

Pull the heads, redo the valve guides, clean Out the secondary air ports, valve job parts labor tax runs about 4200.

Replacing the valve guide seals without checking and replacing the guides is asking for smoke in 30,000 miles.

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree with some of what you said unlike the alternator gasket. you can have that done for $350.00 You sound like someone with his own shop trying to charge dealer prices BUDDY. There are many member here including myself who have done the alternator gasket our self's so $900.00 yea right in your wildness dream FOR THE RECORD THE PART IS ONLY $2.99 so how much labor are you talking $917.000????? Oil pressure switch is only $50.00 takes 2mins to change. If you are a tech You never should reseal the vacuum pump because most of the time the leaks are internal which means you have to change the whole pump. In those rare cases you can change the seal or should I say seals for only $20.00 in parts and the pump takes 15min to pull so yea I would not let you touch nothing on my ride bro!

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Also I don't know who here is pulling the heads on there car without warranty if there are any I am sure its very few.

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
I fully agree with the 1st an 2nd but disagree with the 3rd you DO NOT HAVE TO TOUCH VARIABLE TIMING PERIOD. I don't know if that's what you mean but my tech is a master tech for Center BMW here in Sherman Oaks for 14yrs Not only is he certified on 1,3,5 m X models he is certified on the E65/E66 Which most Tech lack. He has all the credentials on the wall to prove his qualification. The next thing is he said if you are changing Timing cover case you need to do nothing with valve. the only way you can drop a valve is when you are do valve stem seals an you need a compression kit. An they make several different kinds.

For the recprd there is No way I am giving the dealer or anyone for that matter $3200.00 to do the work that member has been quoted. As for me thinking I am getting a good deal .... NO BUDDY I DID. No I did not change the tubes but they were not cracked or leaking so yea TO EACH THEIR OWN!

Your handle describes your experiences with these cars, a rookie.
Misinformation is common when you don't work on these cars daily.
Especially when you aren't trained on them.

Valvetronics isn't variable valve timing, like you are misquoting and not understanding.

I have all the certifications your master tech says he has, including hybrid. Your kind of being daft here, E65 is old Skool technology, that has been rolled into a 3 day class. I went for 2 weeks for E65 alone. Let's talk about F01/02/10 and hybrids if you want too swing Certs around.I'm also a seminar instructor and tech support for a private European shop website that has a few hundred shops over the united states. In fact, I'll be in new york in 2 weeks for a seminar I'm teaching in BMW CAN and bus systems, along with hands on ISTA and ISTA-P training.

Your tech is wrong. When removing valvetronic motors, you have to tell the DME you are removing them. Then, when reinstalling them you have to realign them via service functions. Failure to do so is Russian roulette with the valvetronic motors over running the valvetronic gear train, pushing the eccentric rockers past their motions and bending/dropping valves. I have run into this issue with cars I purchased from independent shops who tried to do this. I have seen this 4-5 times at the dealership when I worked there. I have seen this first hand.

Spark plug tubes need to be replaced for oil and air leaks. They are one time use, and the tension between new ones and old ones when installing them proves their requirement.

If you want more questions answered over this, I'm always eager to help others. Put the cocky card down, this ain't my first rodeo with an N62 :thumbup: I just retimed a 745 from another shop who didn't know what they were doing last week. That seems to be my forte, fixing other people's problems and mistakes from shops and individuals in the Houston area :bigpimp:

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Also I don't know who here is pulling the heads on there car without warranty if there are any I am sure its very few.

I have done over 15 of them this year alone FWIW

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
I agree with some of what you said unlike the alternator gasket. you can have that done for $350.00 You sound like someone with his own shop trying to charge dealer prices BUDDY. There are many member here including myself who have done the alternator gasket our self's so $900.00 yea right in your wildness dream FOR THE RECORD THE PART IS ONLY $2.99 so how much labor are you talking $917.000????? Oil pressure switch is only $50.00 takes 2mins to change. If you are a tech You never should reseal the vacuum pump because most of the time the leaks are internal which means you have to change the whole pump. In those rare cases you can change the seal or should I say seals for only $20.00 in parts and the pump takes 15min to pull so yea I would not let you touch nothing on my ride bro!

I appreciate the edit you did, it proves you dont really have a grasp of working in these things.

I guess in the Houston area, you can't find someone to do the alt gasket for 350 bucks. I know A LOT of independents, and their labor times.

I guarantee to beat the dealers price BTW.
Well, if the OP's shop "was a tech" why did they replace the vacuum pump? Have you ever taken a vacuum pump apart? I sure you haven't.

Regardless, you should listen instead of babble as much,I think you could learn something in the process.

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Ya the class for the e65 was 2 weeks yep he inform me about that yes I am on my phone right now give me your number we will call shop in la an see what they charge to do alternator gasket as for my screen name rookies that's what ,y truckdrivers freinds gave me starting out has nothing to do with this thread. As for the people who paid you all that money I would have went to the dealer period. You go out of business There Screwed..

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Didn't I say I am NOT SURE IF THAT'S WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT??? CAN YOU READ???

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
What ever there are many DIY here Newbie its not that difficult as for the valvetronic I meentio NOTHING ABOUT THEM CAUSE i KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM I ONLY LISTED WHAT I KNEW ABOUT THE OIL LEAKS AN I KNOW I'M NOT WRONG! For the record once again I said Optional on the spark plugs tubes. That's up to the person to decide not me. Notice I listed the part anyway so you are off topic. I am no Tech nor do I try to be I just try an help. You want to talk about valvetronic which I know nothing about so yea I guess I'm a rookie there you want a COOKIE?.

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Of course I can read. I was trying to be cool and explain what's the difference was, and in essence; I was correcting you, since it seems you have no fawking clue.....and seem to have a chip on your shoulder. you are definitively outclassed in experience and skill here and I'm just trying to.give you real world advise here. Have you ever heard an ass is rather to be seen, not heard? Or a person who is a fool can fool most until they open their mouth and remove all doubt? Are you 14 years old? I don't deal with people like you, if they gave me lip like this at my shop I would ask them to leave. You wouldn't mouth off to your doctor like this, would you? You wouldn't mouth off to a judge like this, would you?

And, as I always say, "if you think I'm expensive, try a bad technician!" Lol
I always hate arguing with guys like you, it brings out the immature side of me..... but sometimes its unavoidable

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Say what you want bro I just lend advice about valve cover an spark plug tubes you went into other stuff that I don't know about which I clearly mention. You don't have to do business with me actually I am a easy guy to get along with you tried to insult my intelligence. But its ok I hear but I will stick too my topic that's it. i DON'T KNOW YOU I have never seen you helping anyone here so I will leave it at that. Sorry for the way I responded but not what I said.

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
An If you think I am lying let me know an I will find the parts an list them

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Why lend advise when its wrong? Why argue with a Guy who has done well over 100+ valve cover and timing cases on N62/N62TU engines? There are many ways to skin a cat, and then there is the right way to do it. You are the one getting worked up using your caps and stuff lol. Simmer down partner

edit: what parts are you speaking of? I have them listed and ready to roll since I seem to do almost one set a week lately.....

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Where am I wrong. Please don't mention about valvetronic because I already said I know nothing about so where am I wrong???

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Look at my part break down tell me if I wrong.Remember the one you started this whole mess on trying to tell me I'm wrong that one.

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Timing case cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, Vanos orings,valvetronic seals, cam sensor orings, reseal vacuum pump, crank case vent valves, spark plug tubes,oil pressure switch parts labor tax runs about 2100 bucks or so.

Alternator bracket runs about 920 parts labor tax

Pull the heads, redo the valve guides, clean Out the secondary air ports, valve job parts labor tax runs about 4200.

Replacing the valve guide seals without checking and replacing the guides is asking for smoke in 30,000 miles.

This site is about helping everything you mention is agreeing with the gentleman quote you already over half his total cost $2100.00 so I wouldn't even consider you LOL.

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm bowing out. No need to argue or try to hold a conversation with you.

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 01:26 PM
+1

kwang0429
06-25-2012, 03:34 PM
overall to my main topic, do you guys since it's a fair charge or it's way too expensive ?

I'd like to hear all your professional opinion, especially from bigugly fab.

Thanks!

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I think too high but hey if you want the number to my tech guy I can give it to you.

PAPER
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
WOW what happen to this topic . I see Rookie try to help out
with a break down on parts & price . Then bigugly fab comes
in on him .

I don't have much to say in this topic , Only because I haven't had
any of the work mentioned in here done to my car . I do need my
Valve covers done since mine have developed a small leak .
( only reason I replied in the 1'st place was to get the info & # from
Rookie for the guy who did the work on his car .

now I do have a couple quotes from several different Indy's in my area
on doing Both Valve cover gaskets .

A place a buddy recommended that he has been taking his car to for years
Quoted me a little under $700.

Another Indy a different friend recommended that works on his car
Quoted me $480 . & change

& the last 1 is from a spot that came by 1 of the Thursday night
meets I attend , Quoted me $1272.20

kwang0429
06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Sure Rookie2008, I guess it doesn't hurt to know a new indie, but I am moved to San Diego now :(

alpinaman24
06-25-2012, 04:32 PM
dude if your in the woodland hills area pm me man your getting over charged ..

pm me come check out my facility and then if you want to have us work on your car well be more than happy ..

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 04:39 PM
overall to my main topic, do you guys since it's a fair charge or it's way too expensive ?

I'd like to hear all your professional opinion, especially from bigugly fab.

Thanks!

I told myself I wasnt going to post again, but I'm glad you said that.

It's a industry standard to charge 10 hours for timing case covers and valve cover gaskets. That's what extended warranties pay, that's what my customers pay. Dealers normally charge 10-13.5

It's industry standard to charge 9 hours for the alternator bracket. That's what extended warranties pay, that's what my customers pay. Dealers normally charge 9-12.

I charge 3 hours to alacart the vacuum pump and reseal it. I put a 2 year warranty on it.
Extended warranties will not rebuild the pump, nor will dealerships. I can rebuild it cheaper than what you can buy it for, especially if is already off when Im doing the timing case covers.

It's just Like the parking brake assembly. I can rebuild those, dealerships do not. I can rebuild them for almost half of what they are new.

There are lots of things that I can do that the dealership cannot. This supercharged 330 I'm timecerting the head is one example. The M10 E21 I put a turbo manifold on this morning is another example.

Whatever it is, charge it by their shop rate. Mine is 100/hour.

Normally when a customer wants to do timing cases, vacuum pump reseal and the alternator bracket, I'll do a combo deal of 18 hours total. I feel that is more than fair and covers all the major leaks on the N62. But then again, I replace all gaskets, crank case vent system hoses and valves, spark plugs and other related stuff when I do the job, which costs more. I feel the few dollars saved trying to skimp on gaskets and components is completely not worth the issue of my customer coming back complaining of another oil leak, or me having to do the job again. I try to make it worth the effort of getting in there and replacing things that are prone to fail and have issues down the road. There is a reason other shops bring me their BMW's when they can't fix it :thumbup: Transparency honesty and correctly are my 3 words of business.

Now, I'm not going to play the stupid game with rookie any more. If you want it from a guy who does this for a living and does very well at it, I'll try to give you advise and help....but not when some jaw jacking fool who doesn't work on them tries to contradict my every word, and also plays "the my buddy says" game saying I'm wrong. My credentials, shop, and experience says I'm not.

The nice thing about owning a shop is ( and I absolutely hate doing it, but sometimes it has to be done) I fire customers who act like rookie. I just dont have the time to deal with people who can't afford the car they drive, I have a line of customers who need their car done correctly and efficiently.

Let me know if i can answer any other questions for you, I do this for fun and to see kids like rookie get all bent out of shape :rofl: My technical support for the website I moderate and instruct for, starts at 199 and goes from there.
~Alex

By the way, where you live really drives the price of what you pay. A BMW fixed here in Houston isn't going to cost the same as in San Francisco or in new York or new jersey or Florida...... So this is where conflicting prices may come up. I do know the last time i got flown down to Cancun Mexico to fix BMW's down there, I set the price accordingly ;):bigpimp:

kwang0429
06-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I live in San Diego California, so I am sure we are paying the CALI price......

since I know this tech pretty well even before he had his shop, I just want a second opinion, if that's really too much perhaps I should search elsewhere next time.

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Well, I can't really see what their shop labor rate is, but if it was like mine (100/hour) then they charged you 25.5 hours.........

And I don't see cam sensor orings or Vanos orings..... Or a oil pressure sensor, or vacuum pump Oring, etc....

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 04:51 PM
1st off I can afford my car everytime my car brakes I fix it LMAO 2nd your new here trying to make a name for your shop my advice is free of charge. You can call me what you like search the forum here an you will see valve cover jobs don't cost as much as you are making it seem. Trust me you don't have to deal with me. I am sure everything I said is true. But I am not knocking your skills at all I gave him a price on valve cover job only NOTHING ELSE. You then chime in with your thoughts. I was only defending what I was talking about. Like I said before this topic about valve cover has be discussed plenty of times an NO ONE is charging $2100.00 Period. An No I am no Mechanic not by far but I have common sense. So instead of trying to promote your business provide a DIY for this gentleman so he can try an save some $$$. An Yes you would take my money LMAO I'm sure you wouldn't let $$$ walk out the door would you. Any way if I offended you I am sorry (which I doubt I did) but if I did Iam sorry. I was only trying to let the gentleman no that the valve cover part is not expensive is all.

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm new here? Look at my join date. I lurk a lot.
You are completely correct, valve cover jobs don't cost that much. Because you aren't adding timing case covers in. But if you pull the valve covers off, you should do the timing case covers. It's just common sense. We already covered that. You seem to have a hard time not having the last word, don't you? Lol
I'm not promoting, believe me. Why am I trying to promote to someone is in san Diego? Your grasping at straws and being a troll. Im Just trying to kill misinformation. That's all.

I hold no prejudice against anyone, because they all have green money.......but assholes get kicked out of my shop, I don't care how much they want to pay.

I got thick skin kid, there isn't much that bothers me. You have to when I have to deal with customers like you! Lol

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Yea my tech guys does both sides for $495.00 each times that by 2 Sir.

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 05:01 PM
And I'll tell you once again, he isn't doing the job correctly. But if you want to sleep at night thinking you got a "deal" for not replacing all the parts that are needed, then go ahead.

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Tell me this if your in Huston how many people from the forums can back you? there are a lot of guys here being people fly you around your name should be big. I dont care about the join date that means nothing. Have you helped anyone here? not that I recall...

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Thats Timing an valve cover. If he was not doing it right how did he keep a job at BMW for over 14yrs? I'm confused? Then to open his own shop.

PAPER
06-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Well, I can't really see what their shop labor rate is, but if it was like mine (100/hour) then they charged you 25.5 hours.........

And I don't see cam sensor orings or Vanos orings..... Or a oil pressure sensor, or vacuum pump Oring, etc....

LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION , IF YOU DON'T MIND .

WHAT IS YOUR CHARGE FOR THE SAME JOB ??? Valve cover Gaskets ...

I HAVE 3 QUOTES FROM 3 DIFFERENT INDY'S , 2 OF WHICH
WORK ON 2 OF MY FRIENDS CARS WHENEVER THEY ARE
HAVING SOMETHING DONE , & THE OTHER THAT JUST
RECENTLY OPENED THERE SHOP A COUPLE MONTHS AGO .

SORRY I DIDN'T MENTION THE CAR INFO .
1 FRIEND HAS AN 2002 E66 745LI & AN 2010 OR 2011 M5( I BELIEVE STILL UNDER WARRANTY )
HE JUST HAD HIS VALVE COVER GASKETS DONE ON THE E66 .

OTHER FRIEND HAS A 2008 E66 750LI ( NO WARRANTY , I JUST CALLED & ASKED HIM )
& A X6 NOT SURE WHAT YEAR .

AS YOU CAN SEE THE QUOTES ARE ALL DIFFERENT .

A place a buddy recommended that he has been taking his car to for years
Quoted me a little under $700.

Another Indy a different friend recommended that works on his car
Quoted me $480 . & change

& the last 1 is from a spot that came by 1 of the Thursday night
meets I attend , Quoted me $1272.20

EDIT = Sorry my caps button has a mind of it's own , didn't mean to type all that in caps !!!

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Ok sorry if I destroy your thread I called my Tech if you ever in the L.A area check him out. His shop is on the link below you can read the reviews. Notice that it only show 3 but under the last review click filtered an you will see alot more reviews an all are 5 stars I wish you the best with your repairs bro! just keep shopping an pick the one that sounds the best for your budget. http://www.yelp.com/biz/bmw-service-van-nuys#query:bmw%20service

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 06:12 PM
This is a comment made on yelp you will see it

Van Nuys, CA
5.0 star rating
8/9/2011

Reliable, excellent work. Arthur, the owner, had the part waiting for me when I arrived, the work was done quickly, and the bill came to less than the estimate he gave me over the phone.

Arthur had 17 years of experience at one of the Valley's major BMW dealer service centers before he went out on his own. This place is a find for all BMW enthusiasts. Highly recommended.

SOUTHERNCOMFORT
06-25-2012, 06:13 PM
$2500 in labor???? :yikes:

kwang0429
06-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Either way, my main intention is to come in here to see if I really did overpaid for a job that's done by a friend of mine, if it is, than I shall no longer go there and find an honest indy, I have no intention to make Rookie2008 and bigugly fab to start this argument, both of you are giving me alot of details that I never knew, I really appreciate that, you both came here to help and you both have helped me well and made me understood lil more about the process, I am sorry you guys got into an argument because of the question I posted, I think you all came from a helping perspective and I hope everyone can be cool since all your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Thank you for your kind words but you don't have to apologize for anything this was caused by us ONLY. If you trust your friend continue using him cause you don't have to 2nd guess his work. Like I said before I'am sorry I came on your thread an destroyed it.

collins912
06-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Damn bro! I'm sorry for that one! I just did this repair on my 7 a couple of weekends ago. I still haven't found the time to write up the DIY. Its not that bad of a job after you have done it once or twice. As soon as I get the chance I will write it up as detailed as I can. Only thing is that the pics I took got deleted somehow. I refused to pay $1500+ of work for a $4 seal.

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 08:29 PM
I refused to pay $1500+ of work for a $4 seal.

and once again, misinformation.

its 900 bucks to put that seal in, not (almost) double.

thats one of things i hate about BMW forums, all the misinformation that people spew out. it drives me absolutely bonkers. especially when people do not compare apples to apples.

and honestly the only reason why i have been posting so much today, is because the shop was 106 inside, i had worked on an E21 turbo manifold, replaced a fan on an A4, did a tune up and installed timecerts on a supercharged E46.... the issue was i started *NOT* to sweat- meaning the start of heat stroke.... so i have been trying to "chillout" in the lobby and take care of myself.

by the way rookie, i wanted to show you what i do to people like you. :thumbup:

Rookie2008
06-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Ok so your kool Good one Too bad Iam not 11 any more so I won't :bawling::rofl::rofl:

collins912
06-26-2012, 05:41 AM
and once again, misinformation.

its 900 bucks to put that seal in, not (almost) double.

thats one of things i hate about BMW forums, all the misinformation that people spew out. it drives me absolutely bonkers. especially when people do not compare apples to apples.

and honestly the only reason why i have been posting so much today, is because the shop was 106 inside, i had worked on an E21 turbo manifold, replaced a fan on an A4, did a tune up and installed timecerts on a supercharged E46.... the issue was i started *NOT* to sweat- meaning the start of heat stroke.... so i have been trying to "chillout" in the lobby and take care of myself.

by the way rookie, i wanted to show you what i do to people like you. :thumbup:

Wow! Really man? Are you that childish or did the heat really screw you up? My BMW dealer wanted to charge me 14 and some change so I'm pretty sure it would of came out over $1500 after taxes. One example here buddy.....oil change at BMW of Nashville= $101....oil change at Critz BMW in Savannah=$175.
Misinformation my a$$ why would I make that crap up? Quit being an a$$ and grow up dude!

collins912
06-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Ok so your kool Good one Too bad Iam not 11 any more so I won't :bawling::rofl::rofl:

+1 Where are these idiots coming from? Just out of nowhere to talk trash for no reason. Frickin' ridiculous.

bigugly fab
06-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Wow! Really man? Are you that childish or did the heat really screw you up? My BMW dealer wanted to charge me 14 and some change so I'm pretty sure it would of came out over $1500 after taxes. One example here buddy.....oil change at BMW of Nashville= $101....oil change at Critz BMW in Savannah=$175.
Misinformation my a$$ why would I make that crap up? Quit being an a$$ and grow up dude!

You said a 4 dollar seal, so most people would assume you are speaking of an alternator seal, as anything else wouldn't make sense.

Your dealer wanted to charge you 1400 dollars to replace the alternator seal? Wow.

I charge 100 for an oil service too.

Y'all are being awful defensive here. :tsk::rolleyes:

bigugly fab
06-26-2012, 07:51 AM
+1 Where are these idiots coming from? Just out of nowhere to talk trash for no reason. Frickin' ridiculous.

Yea, I'm the idiot, I'm the **** talker. I'll bring my advise elsewhere. It seems that you children can't take the heat or *real* information from a person who works on these cars daily and owns a shop :dunno::rolleyes:

collins912
06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Sure thing buddy! If you want to bring advise, then bring it and leave the non-sense elsewhere. Being that you own a shop you say.....you should know that not all dealers/indy's have the same labor rate or even charge the same for parts.

collins912
06-26-2012, 08:43 AM
You said a 4 dollar seal, so most people would assume you are speaking of an alternator seal, as anything else wouldn't make sense.

Your dealer wanted to charge you 1400 dollars to replace the alternator seal? Wow.

I charge 100 for an oil service too.

Y'all are being awful defensive here. :tsk::rolleyes:

Ok my mistake. The seal I'm referring to is the alternator bracket seal (the one for if an oil cooler were equipped) if that makes you happy. And yes, that's what they wanted to charge. Again, why would I want to make that up?

Rookie2008
06-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Well no kid here man I TOLD YOU NO HARM INTENDED. If you choose to dwell on stuff I'm sorry. I posted my Tech info (NOT ME) I'm far from a mechanic. Everyone reading this thread can see for them self's how real he is an all 13 reviews with 5stars. You know someone here may appreciate your information here. My only issue with this whole conversation with you is if you say you own a shop an been a member since 2009 (which I can clearly see above your avatar) I am very surprised with all the members from here that live in or near Huston has not been to your shop....... I am confused. I know Huston is a big city I am a Truck Driver an A pilot so I am fully aware of that. You would think there would be at least one person here at least one that has been to your "So Called Shop" an could verify that yea this gentleman knows his stuff. Instead you come on this gentleman's thread right away an tell me I am wrong an gave 3 reasons why. Then intern I responded back hum... show me some reviews especially the one from the guy who wanted or did "Fly You To Cancun" Just saying. O by the way just because me another person don't have the same outlook on things I don't throw fits an put them on a ignore list we just disagree. For the record in a economy like this I really doubt you would turn away business unless your RICH. O an you hate coming on the forums I see cause there is misinformation huh. I seen you on another topic saying the same thing trying to correct someone. If you hate the forum why are you here Sir?

kharripe
06-26-2012, 11:23 AM

CCV $40.00 ($20.00 es)

Alternator Gasket $2.99

Labor $400.00

:thumbup::rofl:

kwang0429
06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
bigugly fab what would you charge for exactly what's quoted on my original receipt ?

bigugly fab
06-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Parts would have been approximately the same price (vacuum pump taken out, but parts added in if you know what I mean)
But my labor would have been 1800 bucks, not 2500

M.Wong
06-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Closed. Can't keep thread on topic without being antagonistic?