PDA

View Full Version : My new 2008 535i

UAM
06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi guys.

Just bought a 2008 535i with 54k on it. I bought it mostly to be my daily driver. I like the car so far. Havent had any issues yet. Only things that I tried looking at to fix is the split screen(cant get that to work with navi)and the ipod connector. Got a great deal with warrenty and maintance until 100k. BMW on Monrovia in Cali had the car for two days and I walked in and bought it on Friday. Car also came with 20 inch Wedsports. SO this means I will be driving my 2010 370z 4.2 liter 600whp as a weekend car.

My new ride!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/tooconfusenluv/8d1ce661.jpg

MY current weekend driver

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/tooconfusenluv/ee1aabd0.jpg

Oceans10
06-24-2012, 07:43 PM
I see the big letters across the hood that say "Tune Me!"
Would be a shame not to at least chip it. It's so inexpensive and non invasive.

UAM
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM
I see the big letters across the hood that say "Tune Me!"
Would be a shame not to at least chip it. It's so inexpensive and non invasive.

I dont want to go mod crazy on this car cuz its a drug. Any suggestions on a chip?

wyb
06-24-2012, 08:00 PM
JB4 is affordable and great bang for the $$$

UAM
06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
JB4 is affordable and great bang for the $$$

using the search button to find it and nothing comes up. Any were i can find it?

wyb
06-24-2012, 08:08 PM
is that your 370Z that vossen just posted on their facebook page?

wyb
06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
the JB4 is from BurgerTuning.com - Terry and his team at Burger have been HUGE tuners on the N54 engine - they're also a Bimmerfest board sponsor

Kamdog
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Dont know what you mean by fixing the split screen. You cant make it one big screen. You can show some stuff on the left, and dome stuff on the right, but you cant make it one big screen.

UAM
06-24-2012, 08:23 PM
is that your 370Z that vossen just posted on their facebook page?

nope but it looks like mine thou without the whp.

ill check out that site. Thanks!

TangoRed
06-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Dont know what you mean by fixing the split screen. You cant make it one big screen. You can show some stuff on the left, and dome stuff on the right, but you cant make it one big screen.

Are you sure? I have a 2010 so it has CIC, but I'm pretty sure you could just uncheck split screen in the CCC models as well.

NoQuarter
06-25-2012, 06:06 AM
but I'm pretty sure you could just uncheck split screen in the CCC models as well.

Nope. There is no such option.

Oceans10
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
I dont want to go mod crazy on this car cuz its a drug. Any suggestions on a chip?

3 options:

JB4 from Burger which requires you to open the ECU box and connect it. Takes max 1 hr total, including reading instructions.

JB+ from Burger which is a piggyback that connects on the intake pipe. Take off airbox and clip it on. 15 min diy.

Cobb Accessport which is similar to JB4, but twice the cost, and plugs into the ODB port for easy installation/removal.

People are constantly selling their JB+ chips on N54tech.com. You can get them for around $130 used. Gives you 75% of the power gain JB4 provides. Maybe an idea. I have it on our wagon, love the added torque and passing power. Love even more the WTF just happened stares. Priceless. :angel:

NoQuarter
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
3 options:

JB4 from Burger which requires you to open the ECU box and connect it. Takes max 1 hr total, including reading instructions.

JB+ from Burger which is a piggyback that connects on the intake pipe. Take off airbox and clip it on. 15 min diy.

Cobb Accessport which is similar to JB4, but twice the cost, and plugs into the ODB port for easy installation/removal.

I would add Procede 2.5 from Vishnu Tuning. This is a piggyback tuner that installs inside the ECU box. Free map updates and constant innovation.

wyb
06-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I only listed JB4 because that is what I would do if I was starting over - and if Terry would let me trade-up, I'd do it now (mine was bought more than 6 months ago).. the Burger tuning upgrade program is good for 6 months only.

I have a drop-in k&n air filter and love that I can no hear the turbos - I couldn't before adding the drop-in filter... and I have a JB+ at the present time. But if I was starting over, I'd go drop-in filter and JB4 + Burger spacers of 15 rear, 12 front - keeping my stock wheels for an ever-so-subtle look that will kick the butt of a lot of more expensive cars... ;)

Oceans10
06-25-2012, 11:22 AM
I only listed JB4 because that is what I would do if I was starting over - and if Terry would let me trade-up, I'd do it now (mine was bought more than 6 months ago).. the Burger tuning upgrade program is good for 6 months only.

I have a drop-in k&n air filter and love that I can no hear the turbos - I couldn't before adding the drop-in filter... and I have a JB+ at the present time. But if I was starting over, I'd go drop-in filter and JB4 + Burger spacers of 15 rear, 12 front - keeping my stock wheels for an ever-so-subtle look that will kick the butt of a lot of more expensive cars... ;)

LOL, you and thousands of others. That is so typical, but I mentioned JB+ since OP specifically did not want to start down the slippery tuner slope. JB4 is perfect if you plan on adding other mods and they release new updates and enhancements almost monthly now. Why I also advocate the data cable.
But for a quick fix, no hassle bump in power, JB+ is pretty cool, especially for the cost. Just use 93 octane and set it to max boost. Instantly you have the equivalent of a 550 V8.

ModBargains III
06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd look at the COBB Accessport for convenience and some serious power gains as well. Everything is done through a handheld unit, no need to plug in anything underneath the engine bay as this is a flash, not a piggy back system. Out of the 5 vehicles we have here (employee cars), that have a N54 motor all 5 of them have the COBB on their car. Some run stage 1, some run stage 2 of course, but if you're looking to add some serious power to a daily driver as you have there, I'd take a look more into the COBB:

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Products/Cobb%20AccessPORT/Cobb-AccessPORT-135i-335i-535i-Dyno.jpg (http://www.modbargains.com/Cobb-AccessPORT-ECU-Flash-BMW-N54-135i-335i-535i-AP-BMW-001.htm)

*Cobb AccessPORT ECU Flash Tuner BMW N54 (135i/335i/535i/1M/Z4) (http://www.modbargains.com/Cobb-AccessPORT-ECU-Flash-BMW-N54-135i-335i-535i-AP-BMW-001.htm)

Installation is a breeze as well... Take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXMHBSZc3JY&feature=player_embedded

Don't hesitate to ask any questions either. You can PM/Email or call me direct at 714.582.3330 extension 8002, just ask for Jurrian!

uwhusky
06-26-2012, 01:31 PM
I want the Cobb but at $800 is a bit more than I'd like to spend. Do they every come up for sale used and are they worth buying used? My thinking is they're just as good used as they are new.

uwhusky
06-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Forgive my ignorance but I thought our the N54 (535) has 300hp stock. The chart above says that stock it has 240hp.

Finally, is the only reason you'd run stage 1 rather than stage 2 because you don't have 93 octane gas in your tank?

NoQuarter
06-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Forgive my ignorance but I thought our the N54 (535) has 300hp stock. The chart above says that stock it has 240hp.

Finally, is the only reason you'd run stage 1 rather than stage 2 because you don't have 93 octane gas in your tank?

300hp is bhp measured at the motor by the manufacturer. When you measure the horsepower on a dyno at the wheels you will see something lower due to loses in getting that power from the engine to the wheels hence 240whp. Whether one were to measure 240whp, 245whp or 265whp is dependent on many conditions at the time so it is often irrelevant to compare whp between 2 different cars measured in 2 different conditions. The only thing that really matters is a baseline of xxxwhp and the difference gained from modifications when measured under the same conditions (all other things being equal except the modification being tested).

Oceans10
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
+1

Kamdog
06-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Are you sure? I have a 2010 so it has CIC, but I'm pretty sure you could just uncheck split screen in the CCC models as well.

Can't do it on the older, 2008 system.

ModBargains III
06-26-2012, 03:42 PM
300hp is bhp measured at the motor by the manufacturer. When you measure the horsepower on a dyno at the wheels you will see something lower due to loses in getting that power from the engine to the wheels hence 240whp. Whether one were to measure 240whp, 245whp or 265whp is dependent on many conditions at the time so it is often irrelevant to compare whp between 2 different cars measured in 2 different conditions. The only thing that really matters is a baseline of xxxwhp and the difference gained from modifications when measured under the same conditions (all other things being equal except the modification being tested).

Bingo!

To account for drivetrain loss, you typically take the number that is shown at the wheel horsepower, and divide by 0.85. For example 240 divided by 0.85 you should get 282horsepower at the crank/motor. The highest point on that dyno shows rear wheel horsepower listed at 313 which equates to about 368 at the motor, but more importantly rear wheel torque is listed at 378 which equates to 444 at the motor, which is 150 MORE than a E92 M3 - sure, given the E92 M3 doesn't make a lot of torque it's still actually 75 more torque than a E39 M5 (rated at 369 ftlbs).
:thumbup:

UAM
06-26-2012, 05:42 PM
wow looks like the cobb is the way to go. I liking the m5 front and rear bumper. I was thinking about an intake also. oh.my