PDA

View Full Version : Battery Recall Question (with pictures)

BayAreaE60530i
06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Hello Guys!

I have already read the main battery recall article. but have a few questions here specific to my situation:

So i have recieved the letter in the mail stating that my car falls into the recall catagory and needs to be brought in for repair. Now my question is about what has happened to the truck of my car, possibly because of this issue. About a year ago, before anyone was talking about this recall, I started noticing a white/yellow ish powder substance in the trunk of my car, and I had NO CLUE where it was coming from? But when I start to tie the pieces together, I feel like this powder substance may have something to due with this battery recall, and what bmw states as "the insulated bulkhead connector" being incorrectly attached to the trunk floor panel causing an overheating condition. I noticed that the majority of the powder is coming from the right side of the trunk (if facing the trunk from the back of the car). Also in the pictures you can notice that the right side of my spare tire has more powder on it than the left. So my questions are:

Do you guys think this is related to the battery issue?
Has anyone else had this problem?
What possible recources can I take from here?

I really hope there has been no damage done to my car as a result of this, other than having my entire trunk covered with this powder substance. I have an appointment for this thursday to take my car in and get the problem fixed.

http://s3-media1.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Q1vi5i1yqwTFOeHMFLjvkg/l.jpg
http://s3-media1.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Gk0_sSnJn73_hIPlDQnSHw/l.jpg
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/2i6ZgMqk-mnoP1YdGvcBHA/l.jpg
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/psXg6J8n6TVTEozkcYyekA/l.jpg

boramkiv
06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Im sure that is related to the battery. They should be able to tell you if it is battery related if you mention it to them (as if they wouldnt see it). A good dealership would clean that up and even wash the car when service is done. (that's what mine does). Looks like An Acid dust buildup. Ive never seen it that fine before especially since its confined like that in the trunk.

BayAreaE60530i
06-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Im sure that is related to the battery. They should be able to tell you if it is battery related if you mention it to them (as if they wouldnt see it). A good dealership would clean that up and even wash the car when service is done. (that's what mine does). Looks like An Acid dust buildup. Ive never seen it that fine before especially since its confined like that in the trunk.

Yeah i definately hope the LEAST they would do is clean that up..

bikerdib
06-27-2012, 07:11 AM
I don't know, I'd think the only place acid buildup would occur is directly on the battery. And when I've seen the acid build up in the past (on other vehicles, directly on the battery) it was kind of damp not dry. Plus, that's a LOT of powder. I'm curious, please respond back here when this is diagnosed.

ARX3
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Perhaps you bought the car used? Was it by any chance a West Coast car, near Mexican border? I would search the trunk for hidden bags taped behind the trim. :rofl:

BayAreaE60530i
06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Perhaps you bought the car used? Was it by any chance a West Coast car, near Mexican border? I would search the trunk for hidden bags taped behind the trim. :rofl:

HAHAHA yes I bought it used LOL.. I bought it from a gentleman in San Francisco... I smelled the substance.. It's definately NOT what your may suggest it is unfortunately lol. I will try to diagnose and get back to you guys. But dam, if its not related to the battery, then WTF ?

booyaazaa
06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
HAHAHA yes I bought it used LOL.. I bought it from a gentleman in San Francisco... I smelled the substance.. It's definately NOT what your may suggest it is unfortunately lol. I will try to diagnose and get back to you guys. But dam, if its not related to the battery, then WTF ?

:rofl: That was funny. It looks like it is more like a dust or a fine dirt instead of acid corrosion. You might just want to vacuum it up with a shop van and check the truck in a few days to narrow down the source. Or you were just carrying a bag of cement powder in your trunk and you didn't mention that. :dunno: jk.

300zxmuro
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I think is dirt but if it is related to the battery check the charge. You can get a yellow dust when it is over charging.

HPIA4v2
06-28-2012, 06:04 AM
H2SO4 will dry into crusty white clumps not fine dust like that.
Yep the previous owner may haul cement or fluor (bakery owner) or something, but check for coke just in case:bigpimp:

BMW535xia
06-28-2012, 07:04 AM
i know little about the drug trade +, but mebbe it was a traveling meth lab.....

booyaazaa
06-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Fill up your gas tank and if you only can get 10 gallons of gas into the tank you've got a 7 gallon secret compartment maybe full of bundles.

BayAreaE60530i
06-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Fill up your gas tank and if you only can get 10 gallons of gas into the tank you've got a 7 gallon secret compartment maybe full of bundles.

HAHAHA, I definately get about 17.2 gallons.. And unfortunately you and I pay california prices :cry: ... I know i know, europe and others have it worse, but still... :cry::cry:

booyaazaa
06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
HAHAHA, I definately get about 17.2 gallons.. And unfortunately you and I pay california prices :cry: ... I know i know, europe and others have it worse, but still... :cry::cry:

You and I both feel it at the pump since we are both from the bay area. I'm just happy that yesterday I was able to fill-up my tank in Dublin and premium was less then $4 a gallon.

BayAreaE60530i
07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
lol

Gilgorm
07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Thats an awful lot of dust if it was from the battery or the recall thingy. Does it smell like dirt or sulfur? Is it possible you have a small hole drilled in the bottom of the trunk thats allowing in road dust? I've heard others mention drilling a hole to allow rain from plugged sunroof drains to drip out the bottom to protect the electronics located under the phony spare.

boost7
07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
does it look like dust from a fire extinguisher?

BayAreaE60530i
07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
I kind of doubt that there is any holes in the car allowing road dust to get in to the car, but i will definately check to make sure.

BayAreaE60530i
07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
does it look like dust from a fire extinguisher?
Yeah it kind of does look like that :eek:

booyaazaa
07-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah it kind of does look like that :eek:

You're still are trying to figure it?