PDA

View Full Version : parking button and start/stop button

Gregzou
06-25-2012, 12:05 PM
we all know that when we park our car, we can just push the start/stop engine button, and bmw will automatically switch to park and stop the engine.
or, you can hit parking button first and push then start/stop engine button.
question is, if I just push the start/stop engine button to park (without hitting parking button), is it a bad habit for transmission?

Campfamily
06-25-2012, 01:01 PM
What's a park button?

wyb
06-25-2012, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3Bzwb4sWM

Mike Swing
06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Automatically switch to park? I'd love to see this 535.

boramkiv
06-25-2012, 01:57 PM
It shouldn't be bad, it's all electronic. It in fact makes the sensors do their job. I was such a cool feature when I had a loaner. It even bumps itself over from sport/manual into park when you shut the car down. I played with all those functions while I had a few loaners with those options. The problem could occur when driving a normal car getting the key stuck because its still in drive. Its crazy even with a key-in-ignition that has to be turned. I accidentally push an imaginary button behind my steering wheel on my X5 sometimes.

Gregzou
06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Yea, i think all keyless start bmw are like this right?
Automatically switch to park? I'd love to see this 535.

UltimateDriving
06-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Yea, i think all keyless start bmw are like this right?

Yeah all cars that have comfort access automatically switches to Park (If you haven't) when you turn off the car, i guess it's just for the sake of security and transmission longevity. Mine does. (Yes, i have Comfort Access)

Regarding the question well, i'm not really sure if it has a negative impact in the transmission, i usually put it in Park before turning off the car just to make sure, i wouldn't like the tranny to break. :rofl:

Gregzou
06-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah all cars that have comfort access automatically switches to Park (If you haven't) when you turn off the car, i guess it's just for the sake of security and transmission longevity. Mine does. (Yes, i have Comfort Access)

Regarding the question well, i'm not really sure if it has a negative impact in the transmission, i usually put it in Park before turning off the car just to make sure, i wouldn't like the tranny to break. :rofl:

Thank you for your answer I guess I will try to remember to park before shut down the engine:D
Don't like to risk the transmission

Campfamily
06-25-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3Bzwb4sWM

My car doesn't have one of these. It has a real gear shift sticking out of the console, that's actually linked to the transmission!!!

Just being a smart-aleck. :rofl:

One thing I've noticed is that if the car is still rolling when I hit the off button, the engine won't quit until I've actually stopped.

burnie35
06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
I never press Park ... I just press Stop. Been doing it on this car for over 3 years.

wyb
06-26-2012, 06:15 AM
I never press Park ... I just press Stop. Been doing it on this car for over 3 years.

I always press park - but now I know that I can just stop, then hit start/stop and it puts the car in park and de-selects sport mode, I may use that - it's a convenience thing I guess, but habits are hard to break... I still act like I have CA and that went with my E92 3+ months ago... :dunno:

wyb
06-26-2012, 06:16 AM
My car doesn't have one of these. It has a real gear shift sticking out of the console, that's actually linked to the transmission!!!

Just being a smart-aleck. :rofl:

One thing I've noticed is that if the car is still rolling when I hit the off button, the engine won't quit until I've actually stopped.

I figured as much, but there were at least equal chances of you being clueless as well imo... :stickpoke

Campfamily
06-26-2012, 07:03 AM
I figured as much, but there were at least equal chances of you being clueless as well imo... :stickpoke

wouldn't be the first time!

UltimateDriving
06-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Thank you for your answer I guess I will try to remember to park before shut down the engine:D
Don't like to risk the transmission

No problem :p