PDA

View Full Version : Need help!!! Lights going crazy and cars running like bs

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm n fl... There's been a bad hurricane and I get into my car just a Lil bit ago to find out my sunroof was partially open so the whole passenger side of my car was flooded...

I soaked up as much as I could...

I drove the car and all the lights on my cluster went crazy and I was stuck in seems to be like 2nd gear... Power steering stopped workin and everything else...

Can someone please help me... Also, there is no check engine light and I also can post a video of my cluster

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Btw it's a 03' 745i

stuartjohn24
06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Sounds like you have soaked a load of modules in the floorpan area.

I would suggest you park the car up and disconnect the battery immediately, as water has penetrated one or more modules the voltage mixed with the water will corrode the PCB's inside.

You will need to completely dry the car out, if its humid this will take some considerable time, Remove the front seats and carpet to make things quicker.

Reconnect the battery and hope you can reset error codes and things return to normal.

These are probably the worst cars to suffer water damage.

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Sounds like you have soaked a load of modules in the floorpan area.

I would suggest you park the car up and disconnect the battery immediately, as water has penetrated one or more modules the voltage mixed with the water will corrode the PCB's inside.

You will need to completely dry the car out, if its humid this will take some considerable time, Remove the front seats and carpet to make things quicker.

Reconnect the battery and hope you can reset error codes and things return to normal.

These are probably the worst cars to suffer water damage.

I dried out as much as I could and disconnected the battery... I hope this works and if not any suggestions? Btw thanks

samadkins29
06-25-2012, 04:36 PM
You happen to have any type of comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance? Might be worth while to file a claim.

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 04:42 PM
You happen to have any type of comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance? Might be worth while to file a claim.

No I dont, had the car for awhile n I just looked up kbb it's only value at $7400 trade in n $9100 private

samadkins29
06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Those prices are with the damage right? I cant find any 03's going for less than $12k up here. But anyways, if you've done all the drying out you can, then something is definitely corroded. If your tech savvy then at least pay to have the car diagnosed an go from their.

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Those prices are with the damage right? I cant find any 03's going for less than $12k up here. But anyways, if you've done all the drying out you can, then something is definitely corroded. If your tech savvy then at least pay to have the car diagnosed an go from their.

Some mentioned a ZGM MODULE? any idea if this would b the main problem?

samadkins29
06-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Ill be honest, I cant confirm if thats it or not. I dont think its going to be possible to say its "this or that" module for sure from anyone who hasn't seen the car in person.

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Ill be honest, I cant confirm if thats it or not. I dont think its going to be possible to say its "this or that" module for sure from anyone who hasn't seen the car in person.

If there's no check engine light will the dealer still b able to scan it?

samadkins29
06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
If there's no check engine light will the dealer still b able to scan it?

Yes, they should have the tools to diagnose all parts of the car. To bad you nto up here, could have hooked it up to my friend Snap-on Verus system

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes, they should have the tools to diagnose all parts of the car. To bad you nto up here, could have hooked it up to my friend Snap-on Verus system

Thanks, so its been since I posted this that i had the battery disconnected and I just tried it again and still the same :mad:

PAPER
06-25-2012, 08:25 PM
do like people been telling you , Take the seats & carpet out & dry them completely .
Then start drying the floor boards . don't put the carpet back in til it is all dry .

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Thanks, so its been since I posted this that i had the battery disconnected and I just tried it again and still the same :mad:

bigugly fab
06-25-2012, 09:18 PM
a Verus isnt going to tell you everything thats wrong with that car.

better act quick. you doing nothing and waiting is just making it worse. bring it to sports'n'imports in kissimmie. Talk to Jivi.

Mr.Nguyen
06-25-2012, 10:23 PM
a Verus is going to tell you everything thats wrong with that car.

better act quick. you doing nothing and waiting is just making it worse. bring it to sports'n'imports in kissimmie. Talk to Jivi.

If it was only that easy I would... Thanks

stuartjohn24
06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
The ZGM module is under the dash, from what you have said this should not have got wet.

At a quick glance there are 5 modules in the lower floor pan, the seat controllers and the airbag satellites. From what you are describing it sounds like the body CAN may be down due to a faulty unit. Also the CAN bus requires an impedance of 120 ohms between CAN H and CAN L to operate correctly, any water in the electrical connectors will cause major problems here. The E65 relies heavily on CAN buses so that modules can talk to each other.

I Would estimate even with the carpets out and the windows open (in a garage) it could take days for it to naturally dry out properly. I would remove the carpet and mass of insulation and take out all the modules that have got wet and put them in an airing cupboard to dry out thoroughly. Check connectors are dry and use contact cleaner to remove moisture otherwise they will only corrode later on.

It's not an easy task an it's a lot of messing around. It's not going to dry out overnight.

Stuart

Mr.Nguyen
06-26-2012, 06:36 AM
The ZGM module is under the dash, from what you have said this should not have got wet.

At a quick glance there are 5 modules in the lower floor pan, the seat controllers and the airbag satellites. From what you are describing it sounds like the body CAN may be down due to a faulty unit. Also the CAN bus requires an impedance of 120 ohms between CAN H and CAN L to operate correctly, any water in the electrical connectors will cause major problems here. The E65 relies heavily on CAN buses so that modules can talk to each other.

I Would estimate even with the carpets out and the windows open (in a garage) it could take days for it to naturally dry out properly. I would remove the carpet and mass of insulation and take out all the modules that have got wet and put them in an airing cupboard to dry out thoroughly. Check connectors are dry and use contact cleaner to remove moisture otherwise they will only corrode later on.

It's not an easy task an it's a lot of messing around. It's not going to dry out overnight.

Stuart

Thanks... Another question, it was ONLY the PASSENGER SIDE that was soaked... Would the modules be located on the passenger Side? I'm gettin ready to take it all apart and kinda wanted n idea... Also if someone can post pics would help... Thanks alot again

bigugly fab
06-26-2012, 06:44 AM
The carpet needs to be pulled. That foam under the carpet can hold gallons of water. It takes days in the sun to fully dry without mold and mildew.

Whatever you do, you need to act quickly to not total this car

Mr.Nguyen
06-26-2012, 07:01 AM
The carpet needs to be pulled. That foam under the carpet can hold gallons of water. It takes days in the sun to fully dry without mold and mildew.

Whatever you do, you need to act quickly to not total this car

Yea my driveway is pretty up at a angle... And there was gallons of water that I got out... This may sound dum but I turned on the car and opened the doors and have the heater blowin on the floor and now all the lights arnt flashin and the car actually idles now...

Mr.Nguyen
06-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Also, the transmission malfunction went away, P/S is also workin

stuartjohn24
06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
There will be a seat module an airbag module and another module under the passenger seat (if your left hand drive).

This may sound dum but I turned on the car and opened the doors and have the heater blowin on the floor and now all the lights arnt flashin and the car actually idles now...

Up to you, if the modules and PCB's are wet and they are powered up then your asking for more trouble later on. Not all modules have lacquer coated PCB's to help resist against moisture, and even then its only designed to protect against mild condensation, and not complete immersion!

You may end up with intermittent faults in future with the body modules malfunctioning because of CAN errors caused by poor electrical connections inside connectors or damage caused to PCB's inside modules, these cars are temperamental enough as they are! and random errors would drive you mad!

Mr.Nguyen
06-26-2012, 10:46 AM
There will be a seat module an airbag module and another module under the passenger seat (if your left hand drive).

Up to you, if the modules and PCB's are wet and they are powered up then your asking for more trouble later on. Not all modules have lacquer coated PCB's to help resist against moisture, and even then its only designed to protect against mild condensation, and not complete immersion!

You may end up with intermittent faults in future with the body modules malfunctioning because of CAN errors caused by poor electrical connections inside connectors or damage caused to PCB's inside modules, these cars are temperamental enough as they are! and random errors would drive you mad!

The three modules... Are they brown wires? It seems as If they are grounds, I took the seat and carpet out and ended up gettin atleast another 3 gallons of water out

stuartjohn24
06-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah brown wires are grounds. I would remove any units that have got wet and dry them out thoroughly. That's a fair bit of water!

Mr.Nguyen
06-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah brown wires are grounds. I would remove any units that have got wet and dry them out thoroughly. That's a fair bit of water!

So if those are the grounds can u post a pic of the modules??? All I c is the grounds and a Blk box that has Bosch on it... So since the last post I just started my car and everything is back to normal and I wanna thanks everyone on here for helpin out