PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Greece

akthorp
06-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Has anyone been to Greece recently? If so, what is it like and what should a tourist expect over the next year?

My wife and I would like to go for our anniversary next year but we are worried abut the economic situation right now. I certainly don't want to go there and be in the middle of riots or strikes or find there there is a general lack of services.

If we don't do Greece I have decided (unilaterally) that we will do euro delivery instead.

Me530
06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Who knows - Greece might be fine this week but a year from now its impossible to predict! Just do Euro Delivery instead, after a few glasses of champagne in the premium lounge your wife won't even remember its your anniversary. :)

JSpira
06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
I tend not to plan my trips terribly far in advance and you are smart to consider the possibility of some degree of turmoil were you to go to Greece.

I wonder if travel insurance covers this type of situation.

b-y
06-28-2012, 10:23 PM
I recently heard from a friend about his trip. (I.e., this is all second-hand.) He was surprised by the deterioration in the infra-structure in general and in the highways in particular. He said this particularly applied to the hill country.

Andrew*Debbie
06-29-2012, 02:35 AM
If you do decide to go, enrol in STEP

https://step.state.gov/step/

and keep an eye on this web page:

http://athens.usembassy.gov/warden_messages.html

2nd hand for us too, from a Greek expat who went back recently. She said many restaurants have closed because locals can't afford to eat out. This may be more outside of the main tourist areas.

BBC news reports that many healthcare workers haven't been paid for months. Hospitals are running short of essential supplies. Pharmacies are having a hard time getting supplies too.

Things could improve or get worse. Who knows.

Gluhwein
07-08-2012, 04:42 AM
As usual the media has blown things waaaaaay out of proportion. I am sitting here in downtown Athens just four blocks from Parliament Square where most protests occurred. There is absolutely zero evidence of unrest or animosity toward Americans. The people are lovely and as friendly as ever. Everybody seems to have close family in the States. Other than it being ungodly hot, this is probably the best time I've had here in the past eight years. Hotels are half full, restaurants empty (with waiters bending over backwards to accommodate) and there is even room to spread-out on the beaches.

I am currently typing this in a corner taverna after finishing my 2.50 Euro gyro and nursing my 3.00 Euro half liter Mythos lager. Every store my shopaholic wife has ventured into has cut her a deal on their posted prices.

Perhaps the only complaint I have are that the streets are filthier than ever - just like Rome's. And anybody driving their new ED BMW in downtown Athens needs to be committed. Absolutely no rules on these roads.

akthorp
07-08-2012, 09:15 AM
As usual the media has blown things waaaaaay out of proportion. I am sitting here in downtown Athens just four blocks from Parliament Square where most protests occurred. There is absolutely zero evidence of unrest or animosity toward Americans. The people are lovely and as friendly as ever. Everybody seems to have close family in the States. Other than it being ungodly hot, this is probably the best time I've had here in the past eight years. Hotels are half full, restaurants empty (with waiters bending over backwards to accommodate) and there is even room to spread-out on the beaches.

I am currently typing this in a corner taverna after finishing my 2.50 Euro gyro and nursing my 3.00 Euro half liter Mythos lager. Every store my shopaholic wife has ventured into has cut her a deal on their posted prices.

Perhaps the only complaint I have are that the streets are filthier than ever - just like Rome's. And anybody driving their new ED BMW in downtown Athens needs to be committed. Absolutely no rules on these roads.

Just the sort of first hand information I was hoping for.