PDA

View Full Version : I think i've killed my 525.

Bishop709
06-25-2012, 08:45 PM
So thanks to Tropical storm Debby, I think I have killed my car. Many streets in the downtown Tampa area were flooded today. So I decided to take it slow and not go crazy on any of the streets. Went down one road. Saw the water, it looked a little high, but there was a Corolla just plowing right through it. No problem. I said eh, shouldn't be a problem then. Boy was I wrong. Went through it was pushing like a champ. About 5 feet to dry land she shuts off on me. :mad: So I Get out and push her, not wanting to damage anything. I'm calf deep in water. About 6 to 8 inches. On dry land I try and crank it. Nada. Not even a click. everything electronically work fine. gave it a bit tried it again same thing. Checked the fuses, all look good. Pop the hood, and the intake is full of water, filter is soaked. After waiting 4 hours for AAA to get me i'm finally home.

Going to wait till the morning and see if she cranks up, but I think is a done deal.

e39krazy
06-25-2012, 09:56 PM
My cousin sent me a pic from their balcony overlooking bayshore blvd. Damn flooded.

DJtoad
06-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Wow, that sucks. It sounds like you did, in fact, hydrolock your engine. If so, repeated attempts to start the car will simply cause more damage although at this point you may be right -- the engine is toast.

Bishop709
06-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Oh joy, I get to take my car over to Reeves and deal with those Ass jockey's again.

burnie35
06-26-2012, 10:02 AM
How about Lutz?

http://www.lutzperfauto.net/

Bishop709
06-26-2012, 10:29 AM
It's already over there.

legend700
06-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Wow, really sorry to hear that.
Yesterday I was putting on my summer tire setup (a bit late in the season) and noticed the air intakes in the front fender wells. After reading your post I went into the garage and measured that the bottom of the inlets is only 10" off the floor, and the top 14". This could be even lower with a loaded vehicle.
A few weeks ago, we visited Asheville, NC and got into a torrential downpour. Pulled off the main road to take refuge in a restaurant. Turns out the place was closed and we ended up in a flooded empty parking lot. I slowed down to a crawl and started heading back out in a wide circle, but got really worried not exactly knowing what was in front of me. The water was maybe 6" to 8" high.
Your story is worth keeping in mind. I would also have tried to power through, especially not having been aware of the low air intakes.
Hope your engine can be saved.

Bishop709
06-29-2012, 01:10 PM
So here's the update so far.
SA is saying at this point I need a new starter, Head gasket, and manifold. They are taking the engine apart to make sure there is no internal damage.
They received 6 other cars the same day for the same reason. Glad i'm not the only idiot who thought his car was a submarine.
:flush:

TangoRed
06-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Hopefully that's the extent of your damage. I'd say you made out well if that's the case. Best of luck.

jsimon7777
06-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Heheh, you should have bought a Range Rover for your Tampa commute. That sucks!

300zxmuro
06-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Let us know how much in ended up paying to get it back in the road.

racooper3
06-30-2012, 11:46 AM
So here's the update so far.
Glad i'm not the only idiot who thought his car was a submarine.
:flush:

Das Boot :mad:

dip
06-30-2012, 07:15 PM
This is horrible. Are all bimmers not suppose drive in the rain when it's a downpour? Do you have extended warranty?

ArtchredTTU
07-01-2012, 09:20 AM
My condolences Bishop :( - keep us updated please

Bishop709
07-02-2012, 07:50 PM
:cry:

At 11:55am today. My white girl was pronounced dead.

dip
07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
really? its not repairable? is your insurance covering it? How much would it have been to replace the motor? now what?

Bishop709
07-02-2012, 08:03 PM
They declaired it a total Loss. Total was going upwards of 10k. I owed 13k on it. Now I start car shopping.

dip
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
how much you get from your insurance company?

racooper3
07-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Bummer sorry to hear that. You'll find another one, but Insurance isn't going to give you retail value so you can go find one in good shape. Let me know if you need help finding one. I know a wholesale guy in FishHawk area that can help on the wholesale lot over in Orlando if you want to see what they have. I ended up going private sale for my car down in Ft. Lauderdale. Got a great deal on 2005 545 in excellent shape and care. Just be patient and you'll find what you are looking for. Took me 30 days.

Bishop709
07-03-2012, 05:53 AM
I'm out in the FishHawk area. Between what insurance gave any GAP insurance, it's all covered. So nothing out of pocket really.

Bishop709
07-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Just got off the phone with the Insurance company. They are cutting me a check for 19.5. not to bad.

racooper3
07-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Just got off the phone with the Insurance company. They are cutting me a check for 19.5. not to bad.

Good deal. Now you can find something pretty respectable for that much change. PM me if you want to get the name of a wholesale guy who can get you access to the Orlando Manheim lot. Depending on time of year, they have some good deals over there. I only went to the Tampa wholesale lot once and couldn't find anything that would pass my sniff test. Orlando and South FL wholesale lots are the better 2 in FL.

Good Luck

ARX3
07-03-2012, 07:42 PM

Was this the only number they came up with? What year was it? You realize that you should never take the first number they throw at you. There is always room for 'negotiating' what amount you will take for them to close this case.

PS. Just so you know, my E39 '01 540i got hydro-locked last year. I went through the same process... got about 14k back from the insurance after 4 days of going back and forth.

ChrisTO
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
those intakes in the fender wells are for the brake air ducts...if it's the same one by the front of front wheel well.

Wow, really sorry to hear that.
Yesterday I was putting on my summer tire setup (a bit late in the season) and noticed the air intakes in the front fender wells. After reading your post I went into the garage and measured that the bottom of the inlets is only 10" off the floor, and the top 14". This could be even lower with a loaded vehicle.
A few weeks ago, we visited Asheville, NC and got into a torrential downpour. Pulled off the main road to take refuge in a restaurant. Turns out the place was closed and we ended up in a flooded empty parking lot. I slowed down to a crawl and started heading back out in a wide circle, but got really worried not exactly knowing what was in front of me. The water was maybe 6" to 8" high.
Your story is worth keeping in mind. I would also have tried to power through, especially not having been aware of the low air intakes.
Hope your engine can be saved.

w5lx
07-05-2012, 09:05 AM
There is a very important message to be taken from this thread.
Every year, several people try to drive their cars over roads flooded by torrential rains in my area with the same result.
Very sorry it happened to you.