PDA

View Full Version : Smart Chip Credit Card

GerWil
06-26-2012, 07:18 AM
For anyone who has suffered from a "swipe" credit card at parking garages, gas stations, toll booths, etc Hyatt now has a smart chip card with Chase, and also no transaction fees.

1MORLAP
06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
British Air - 100,000 miles, chip, no int fee but $100 per year.

tonmonde
06-29-2012, 06:12 PM
nice, but the Hyatt Chase card has a annual fee as well.
any smart chip cards without annual fees?
but its nice to see that smart chip cards are gradually being propagated

Boghopper
06-29-2012, 08:37 PM
It's important to note, though, that often what you need is "chip and PIN", while the US chip cards are chip and signature. There are sporadic reports of chip and sig cards working if you enter "0000" or perhaps "1234". There's more discussion of it on flyer talk.com

coldintake
06-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Just for the sake of clarification, several of these Chase cards have the "Chip And Sign" technology. They don't have the "Chip and Pin" method that places such as kiosks, some parking machines, or some gas stations require. IIRC, there is unfortunately no card available in the US that has the "Chip and Pin" technology.
With that said, I assume most places that did not 'swipe' before due to a lack of a chip (e.g. restaurants) would be easier to work with this technology.

aherman535
06-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Just returned three days ago from my ED. I used an ANDREW's Federal Credit Union Chip and PIN VISA.

While at most places, such as restaurants, it worked as chip and signature, it worked very well as a CHIP and PIN in parking garages and train/subway stations. Saved my butt a couple of times.

I did have to open a checking account with them, but I just put in $25.00 and then fill out credit app and become "member". Just a bunch of paper work.

Not sure why a signature was required at restaurants/stores, but worked fine for me with PIN at unattended parking garage and a subway station.

coldintake
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Just returned three days ago from my ED. I used an ANDREW's Federal Credit Union Chip and PIN VISA.

While at most places, such as restaurants, it worked as chip and signature, it worked very well as a CHIP and PIN in parking garages and train/subway stations. Saved my butt a couple of times.

I did have to open a checking account with them, but I just put in $25.00 and then fill out credit app and become "member". Just a bunch of paper work.

Not sure why a signature was required at restaurants/stores, but worked fine for me with PIN at unattended parking garage and a subway station.

Wow that's great news... :thumbup:

cheezypoof
07-02-2012, 05:45 AM

Yup, at this point this appears to be the *only* US-based credit card that is true chip & PIN. Others (like Chase, US Bank Flexperks, JP Morgan Signature, etc. are chip & sign). The process to get an Andrews FCU card is a bit of a pain, you should allow about a month to get one - but worth it if you want to use automated kiosks at toll booths & train stations.

As another poster mentioned there's a very long thread about this on flyertalk if you want to learn more.

wyb
07-02-2012, 05:54 AM
There must be more choices than that - for example, the credit unions which server our European based military must surely have chip-and-pin cards.. :dunno:

cheezypoof
07-02-2012, 06:24 AM
There must be more choices than that - for example, the credit unions which server our European based military must surely have chip-and-pin cards.. :dunno:

You're right, the Andrews credit union is intended for military personnel or civilians who work on the base, but there's a way for us normal folk to get an account too. I just checked back on the Flyertalk thread and it looks like there's a State Department FCU card that is also chip & pin (added plus, zero foreign transaction fees). It appears the Andrews card may not be the only (or even the best) option any more.

thumper_330
07-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Now, YMMV on this as I've heard mixed reports... and the exchange rate isn't great to be honest but I got the Travelex Cash Passport (http://www.travelex.com/US/Products/Cash-Passport/) card when I did my ED. It's a debit card, so you just put cash on it (which you can do during your trip as well) and then spend it using the chip & pin system. I actually ended up using my regular debit card a lot of the time (restaurants and the like) but had 500 Euros on the Cash Passport for everything else. Found it damned useful at the U-Bahn in Munich, gas stations and the like that wouldn't take my US debit card.

Many stores in Germany just aren't set up for signature cards any more... I ended up using it more than I thought I would (and ended up "charging" it at least once) but because of the not-too-favourable exchange rate I elected to just stick with my regular card most of the time. There are no annual fees or anything, and I still have the card sitting on my desk for the next european trip I take.

Worst case, it's probably worth it to get one of these and stick a couple hundred dollars on it just as an emergency fall-back.

neve1064
07-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Didn't Chase bank have cards like this at one time?
I know some of my banking cards have "blink" technology. Is that the same type of chip?

Sent from a HTC EVO

Campfamily
07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Just got a chip and PIN card from Citibank, had to ask for it, but it's been working fine in the UK last week, and this week here in Munich.

mrbelk
07-02-2012, 10:54 AM

You would definitely think that, but not even USAA offers Chip & PIN cards for their banking customers who might be deployed overseas.

-MrB

Meiac09
07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
You would definitely think that, but not even USAA offers Chip & PIN cards for their banking customers who might be deployed overseas.

-MrB

:stupid:

At least their mobile app works so you can deposit USD checks over there.

mrbelk
07-02-2012, 11:30 AM
:stupid:

At least their mobile app works so you can deposit USD checks over there.

That's good to know; since I get tons of Germans and Italians to pay me for stuff with personal checks denominated in USD. :rolleyes:

-MrB

Wine-O
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM

-MrB

I was in Zurich a few years back and looking for a "manned" gas station to fill up to use my non-chip credit card since all the "unmanned" stations required either cash in their automatic machines or a credit card with a chip.

After driving around I found a "manned" station. I was disappointed because the attendant told me I still needed a credit card with a chip, or an AMEX card without a chip would work. I did have a USAA AMEX card, and much to my surprise, it worked.

Not sure if the same would apply in Italy or other countries.

Loganradio
07-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I have traveled throughout Europe...3-4 times per year...and have never had an issue with my non-chip cards at any restaurant, hotel, shop or gas station.

tonmonde
07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
here's the google docs (of compiled US chip cards) link from the flyer talks forum guys

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE#gid=0

and the thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-available-today-chip-pin-chip-signature.html

Ucla95
07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
What's the benefit of chip and pin?

cheezypoof
07-06-2012, 06:41 AM
I have traveled throughout Europe...3-4 times per year...and have never had an issue with my non-chip cards at any restaurant, hotel, shop or gas station.

For the most part you're right. I'm there every month and my corporate swipe-only card works for almost every transaction I make. But it won't work at automated kiosks in train stations, motorway tollbooths, etc. You must have chip & pin to use those.

GerWil
07-08-2012, 08:20 AM
For the most part you're right. I'm there every month and my corporate swipe-only card works for almost every transaction I make. But it won't work at automated kiosks in train stations, motorway tollbooths, etc. You must have chip & pin to use those.

You cannot compare a swipe only card to any of the EMV chip cards, which are either chip & pin or chip and signature. The chip and pin work on any type of automated machine while the chip and signature will alway work on an automated machine with on line verification, but not on all automated machines that can only verify from a pin # embedded in the chip. The new cards from Chase, such as the Hyatt and British Airway cards are chip and signature. There are disadvantages to both. See FlyerTalk.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1188514-should-usa-card-issuers-adopt-emv-chip-pin-opinion-discussion-20.html

Meiac09
07-27-2012, 07:07 PM

Never had a problem at an automated tollbooth in Austria or Italy with my AMEX. If you're going to France, you can buy a "Télépéage" or basically a French EZ-Pass before you go. You'll be glad you did, since the traffic at the frequent tollbooths is frequently awful.

Only U/S Bahn ticket readers gave me a problem, and that was a 50/50 success rate. The biggest problem I had were merchants who insisted that they had to stick it in the reader, and had no clue their machines were capable to swipe.

Meiac09
07-27-2012, 07:08 PM
That's good to know; since I get tons of Germans and Italians to pay me for stuff with personal checks denominated in USD. :rolleyes:

-MrB

I would be interested to know if the geo-restriction on a Square actually works. I got one after returning to the US and haven't tested it out.

achopra
07-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Just got a chip and PIN card from Citibank, had to ask for it, but it's been working fine in the UK last week, and this week here in Munich.

Is it confirmed to be chip and pin ? the google doc spreadsheet in this thread lists is as chip and signature. If it works fine with pin I can just ask them to send me one since I already have a citi platinum select ?

Loganradio
07-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Just called Citi to ask about swapping my card for their Global Chip one. Same account...does have 3% fee, but always did. Will arrive by mid-August. Also in application process with SDFCU. Had to become member of American Consumer Council first, $15 lifetime membership, plus apply for membership and deposit $100 at State Dept FCU. Got Citi anyway because it was easy...good backup...although it is chip/sign.

achopra
07-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Just called Citi to ask about swapping my card for their Global Chip one. Same account...does have 3% fee, but always did. Will arrive by mid-August. Also in application process with SDFCU. Had to become member of American Consumer Council first, $15 lifetime membership, plus apply for membership and deposit $100 at State Dept FCU. Got Citi anyway because it was easy...good backup...although it is chip/sign.

I have the option to get the Global Chip card online, through 'Order a Replacement' page. Getting one now.

EDIT: They sent me the normal cards even though I selected the Global Chip option. I had to call. The agent did not know about it and almost sent me a paypass. I had to escalate to the account manager and she hooked me up. I hope I get the correct cards this time.

cheezypoof
07-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Never had a problem at an automated tollbooth in Austria or Italy with my AMEX. If you're going to France, you can buy a "Télépéage" or basically a French EZ-Pass before you go. You'll be glad you did, since the traffic at the frequent tollbooths is frequently awful.

Only U/S Bahn ticket readers gave me a problem, and that was a 50/50 success rate. The biggest problem I had were merchants who insisted that they had to stick it in the reader, and had no clue their machines were capable to swipe.

France is the problem, both motorways and train stations. I've had similar problems in Japan and China.

I like the idea of Telepeage, how do you get one if you're overseas?

MonkeyCMonkeyDo
07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
The problem with the Citibank ones is that they are Chip and Signature only and will not work at unattended gas stations for example. There is no option for the PIN.

If anybody else has the Virgin-Atlantic BofA American Express card and does not have a chip on their card, just call Customer Service and request a replacement card. The replacement will be Chip and Signature automatically.

If you are looking for a true Chip and Pin US card I recommend the US Bank Flex Rewards Travel Rewards Visa. If you sign up you get a ton of bonus points and rewards work on basically every airline and are simply cash values towards tickets so you are not stuck with black-outs and sell outs. They are also a true chip-pin/chip-sig/magnetic stripe card so it can be used anywhere in the world! Annual fee is waived year one and $49 after that. Definitely worth it if you travel.

cheezypoof
07-30-2012, 11:34 AM
If you are looking for a true Chip and Pin US card I recommend the US Bank Flex Rewards Travel Rewards Visa. If you sign up you get a ton of bonus points and rewards work on basically every airline and are simply cash values towards tickets so you are not stuck with black-outs and sell outs. They are also a true chip-pin/chip-sig/magnetic stripe card so it can be used anywhere in the world! Annual fee is waived year one and $49 after that. Definitely worth it if you travel.

Unless something has changed in the past couple of months the US Bank Flexperks card (which I have) is NOT chip & PIN!! It is chip & signature.

As others here have posted, the Flyertalk thread and associated google doc is a great resource for anyone interested in this topic.

MonkeyCMonkeyDo
07-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Unless something has changed in the past couple of months the US Bank Flexperks card (which I have) is NOT chip & PIN!! It is chip & signature.

As others here have posted, the Flyertalk thread and associated google doc is a great resource for anyone interested in this topic.

I was told that you simply need to call the customer service line and you can have a pin connected to the account to allow for Chip and Pin in addition to the standard chip/sig.

I will let you know in 7 days when my card gets here...or you can try and let me know now :)

cheezypoof
07-30-2012, 11:48 AM
I was told that you simply need to call the customer service line and you can have a pin connected to the account to allow for Chip and Pin in addition to the standard chip/sig.

I will let you know in 7 days when my card gets here...or you can try and let me know now :)

Interesting. I will give them a call and let you know. The last time I asked them (~2 months ago) they admitted it was chip & sig only. You can enable a PIN for ATM withdrawals, just like most credit cards. Will let you know what I find.

cheezypoof
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM

Well they just told me the same they told you - a PIN is being sent & I should be able to give it a shot in about 3 weeks on my next trip. If it really is chip & pin that would be outstanding since this is already my primary card. Thanks for the heads-up!

MonkeyCMonkeyDo
07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Well they just told me the same they told you - a PIN is being sent & I should be able to give it a shot in about 3 weeks on my next trip. If it really is chip & pin that would be outstanding since this is already my primary card. Thanks for the heads-up!

GREAT NEWS!!! :thumbup:

I will cross my fingers.

mgthompson
08-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Others (like Chase, US Bank Flexperks, JP Morgan Signature, etc. are chip & sign).

I just received a US Bank "Global" VISA card that is both chip & PIN and chip & sign.

cheezypoof
09-06-2012, 05:21 AM

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I called and specifically asked for a PIN to use the card for chip & pin transactions. The PIN they sent was the same I had set years ago for ATM cash withdrawals, so I was skeptical right away. I used the card for a couple of different transactions in Germany and Canada and in every case it behaved like a chip & signature. I also tried my shiny new Andrews FCU card and it worked as chip & pin.

It appears the US Bank card remains chip & signature only.

Did you have a chance to try it?

MonkeyCMonkeyDo
09-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Unfortunately, it didn't work. I called and specifically asked for a PIN to use the card for chip & pin transactions. The PIN they sent was the same I had set years ago for ATM cash withdrawals, so I was skeptical right away. I used the card for a couple of different transactions in Germany and Canada and in every case it behaved like a chip & signature. I also tried my shiny new Andrews FCU card and it worked as chip & pin.

3 weeks from now :)

Popoemt
09-06-2012, 08:56 AM
EMV push in the US
This year, some U.S. issuers tried to mitigate that annoyance for overseas travelers. Here is a list of credit card issuers that have recently introduced EMV-enabled cards:
U.S. Bank's FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa credit card.
Citi's Corporate Chip and PIN credit card.
Chase's J.P. Morgan Select Visa Signature credit card.
Chase's J.P. Morgan Palladium credit card.
Wells Fargo's Visa Smart Card (credit card pilot program).
North Carolina-based State Employees' Credit Union EMV debit cards.
The United Nations Federal Credit Union chip and PIN credit cards.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-credit-cards-add-chip-070057254.html

V/r, Tim.

MonkeyCMonkeyDo
09-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Indeed it is chip and sig only. Shame on the first people giving us incorrect information. From the brochure included with the cards its states: I dont have a pin for my FlexPerks Visa Card. Do I need one? You need a pin only for cash withdrawals at ATMS.

That stinks.

I guess Travelex Chip and Pin it is. I lose about 50 bucks on a 500 dollar card, but hey at least I wont get stranded in France.

640GC
09-20-2012, 07:52 AM
We just got back from a trip through Germany-Italy-France and here's what happened using our British Airways Chip card.

It did not work at any unattended gas station we tried.

It worked fine at gas stations during the day with attendants, worked fine at all toll booths, worked fine with merchants allowing us to type in our PIN number.

At attended stations, you fill up first and then go in and pay. We never got below a half a tank of gas so it wasn't an issue at night when the card wouldn't work at the unattended stations.

Andrew*Debbie
09-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Chip and Signature cards are supposed to work at all UK locations where there is a human present.
Banks in the UK are required to provide a chip a signature card to anyone unable to enter a PIN number. (Visual impairment, mobility problems...) Retailers are obliged to accept the cards. There is an exception for self service terminals.

In practice some cashiers don't know what to do, since the chip and signatures cards are uncommon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18886528

cheezypoof
09-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Indeed it is chip and sig only. Shame on the first people giving us incorrect information. From the brochure included with the cards its states: I dont have a pin for my FlexPerks Visa Card. Do I need one? You need a pin only for cash withdrawals at ATMS.

That stinks.

I guess Travelex Chip and Pin it is. I lose about 50 bucks on a 500 dollar card, but hey at least I wont get stranded in France.

Bummer. At least we really know what this card is now.

We just got back from a trip through Germany-Italy-France and here's what happened using our British Airways Chip card.

It did not work at any unattended gas station we tried.

It worked fine at gas stations during the day with attendants, worked fine at all toll booths, worked fine with merchants allowing us to type in our PIN number.

At attended stations, you fill up first and then go in and pay. We never got below a half a tank of gas so it wasn't an issue at night when the card wouldn't work at the unattended stations.

Over in the flyertalk forums people have said that unattended gas stations will only accept cards issued by banks from that country (they were specifically talking about France, not sure about others). That may have been the problem since the BA card is true chip & pin, right?

640GC
09-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Over in the flyertalk forums people have said that unattended gas stations will only accept cards issued by banks from that country (they were specifically talking about France, not sure about others). That may have been the problem since the BA card is true chip & pin, right?

I think it is PIN but there has been some Flyertalk/Bimmerfest suggestions that it is not.

At some retailers, they would have me enter my PIN # and then the transaction would go through. At other retailers, they would insert the card into the Chip reader, but a receipt would print out which they would have me sign.

Good to know about the gas stations not working unless the card is issued in the same country. I tried in St. Moritz and Milan at night and it did not work. Worked fine during the day in all countries with attended stations using their chip reader vs. swipe reader.

X3 Skier
09-20-2012, 02:37 PM

BA Card is a chip and signature. Any PIN you get is for cash from an ATM.

The CS reps at any bank in the USA generally have zero clue what a true Chip and PIN is so they keep confusing the issue. :mad:

Cheers

dthompson
09-23-2012, 09:01 AM
I am living in France for a short time now, and most establishments here (restaurants, grocery stores, hotels, person stocked gas stations) have dual machines, one with the slot to insert for Chip & Pin, and another to slide the card through for the stripe. The restaurants have portable wireless ones that are pretty cool - they bring the set out to your table to pay. I tried my US Bank Chip card at a automated gas station once, and it did not work. Wouldn't even let me try to enter its pin.

Let me know if you have other questions.

JSpira
09-23-2012, 10:04 AM
The primer I wrote about EMV/smart chip cards recently should be helpful in filling in some of the gaps...

Smarter Credit Cards Coming Soon: An EMV Primer (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/07/smarter-credit-cards-coming-soon-an-emv-primer/)

As cash becomes passé, new secure chip cards are taking its place and lowering credit card fraud. Here's what you need to know.
If you've ever tried to pay for fuel at a closed filling station or transit an unmanned toll booth in Europe and found that your credit card would not work, you are not alone – but you are probably a U.S. resident with a U.S.-issued credit card that …..[/quote]http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/wp-content/themes/arthemia-premium/scripts/timthumb.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Geldbeutel-mit-geld-und-kreditkarte-300x225.jpg&w=150&h=150&zc=1&q=90 (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2012/07/smarter-credit-cards-coming-soon-an-emv-primer/)

NCBIMMERGUY
09-25-2012, 04:54 AM
I just got back from European Delivery and had a Chase JP Morgan Chip and Signature Credit card and a local NC credit union Chip and Pin Debit Card with me and would recommend having one or both. It worked everywere accept in a gas station in France. Since it was a station with an attendant, I just had them read my chip card inside and it worked well. All merchants that accept credit cards seem to have the devices that read the chips and it is so much easier.

Andrew*Debbie
09-25-2012, 05:37 AM

My UK chip and pin Visa Debit card mostly works in France and Belgium. I do have to tell my bank in advance to unblock foreign transactions.

I've read that UK pre-paid cards don't always work.

It might have something to do with the pre-autherization.

mgthompson
10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
I just received a US Bank "Global" VISA card that is both chip & PIN and chip & sign.

The chip and sign works OK. I haven't tried the chip and PIN yet.

JSpira
10-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Are you sure it's both? It was my understanding that, in terms of standards, it could be one or the other.

1STBimmer
10-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I got the State Dept. FCU Visa Chip + Pin card (and in fact received a PIN# in the mail for it and a book explaning how chip+pin works) to use in my recent ED trip. I was all eager and ready to test the Chip+Pin function however, every time that I used the card where the chip was read (not swiped) it automatically printed the receipt for me to sign.

I'm not sure if the operator has the ability to select pin or paper, because at a gas station the person paying with CC before me had to enter pin, when I paid it print out a receipt... When I used it at a peage booth it didn't ask for PIN (or Sig, for that matter).

Unfortunately wasn't able to try it out in an automated station.

cheezypoof
10-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Are you sure it's both? It was my understanding that, in terms of standards, it could be one or the other.

I am 99% sure the US Bank card is only chip & signature, see below...

I got the State Dept. FCU Visa Chip + Pin card (and in fact received a PIN# in the mail for it and a book explaning how chip+pin works) to use in my recent ED trip. I was all eager and ready to test the Chip+Pin function however, every time that I used the card where the chip was read (not swiped) it automatically printed the receipt for me to sign.

I'm not sure if the operator has the ability to select pin or paper, because at a gas station the person paying with CC before me had to enter pin, when I paid it print out a receipt... When I used it at a peage booth it didn't ask for PIN (or Sig, for that matter).

Same thing happened with my Andrews FCU card, any transaction that was handled by a person would go chip & signature. The only transaction that required chip & PIN was at an un-manned gas station. I tried using my US Bank Global card at the same gas station and it failed, only the true chip & PIN card would work.

It's all very confusing, but the bottom line is that a chip & signature card is well worth getting, and there are now plenty of them from US banks.

X3 Skier
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
So far this week I have used my Chase British Airways Chip and Sign card in about ten different London locations form Marks and Spensers to my local pub. In every case, I got receipt to sign with no problems. No need to use any " Non Human" locations so far. :D

Cheers

VIZSLA
01-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Amex is replacing existing Platinum cards with chip and pin versions.
They are doing this on a rolling basis. New cards will be sent automatically before renewal time.
I do not know if they can or will honor requests for expedited changes.

aherman535
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Amex new card is chip and signature. Just got mine last week. Wish it were chip and signature.

A

sactoken
01-29-2013, 01:54 PM

I read on another forum that when a chip+pin card is used in a terminal that will also process chip+signature, it automatically defaults to chip+signature, and there is no way to override that. The poster reported he once encountered a merchant who refused to process a transaction requiring a signature, but I doubt that would happen very often.

hellosopo
02-08-2013, 05:38 AM
PenFed customers can now request chip & PIN cards for their Visa accounts. Their online system prompts for a 4-digit PIN and a new account number will be issued.

jaktv
05-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Is Amex widely accepted in throughout Europe?

VIZSLA
05-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Is Amex widely accepted in throughout Europe?

Widely but not universally.
It's best to have a Visa card as well.

jaktv
05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Widely but not universally.
It's best to have a Visa card as well.

Thanks. I have a choice of applying for an Amex or Visa card with chip+pin. I'll go for Visa....

VIZSLA
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks. I have a choice of applying for an Amex or Visa card with chip+pin. I'll go for Visa....

I would. Not all Amex cards are C&P yet.