PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! all speakers not working now!!

Blackbeam27
06-26-2012, 11:13 AM
first time here guys and i need desperate help before taking to the dealership...

i have a 2002 745LI with 70,000 miles. i've had it for a little bit over a year now...
about 2 months ago i started noticing a static and popping noise on the passenger front speaker, i paid no attention to it thinking it will go away. then it started on the back subwoofers.. well basically now all the speakers are not working except for the front driver side,...the twitter by the driver window and the front driver door speaker are the only ones working now.....what can it be???? another thing i dont know if i have a logic 7 system or not...how can i know?

thank you guys! im really worried it will get worse or something.

Rookie2008
06-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Sounds Like both your A.S.K an L7 are out.

Rookie2008
06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
You can go into the entertainment menu an at the top you will see a EQ tab or if you scroll down pass the bass, treble ect you should see something that says Logic 7. I have a few Questions for you.

1st When the key is in the ignition do you hear the door chime?

2nd When the PDC Sensor are activated can you hear when you are getting close to something?

3rd When you activated the SVS voice command on the steering wheel can you hear anything like Navigation,Notepad, Telephone ect..?

*If in fact you find out your A.S.K Unit is faulty I have one that I'm looking to get rid of. Good Luck

Blackbeam27
06-26-2012, 12:31 PM
thanks for responding!

I just checked my car and I still don't fine anything about a logic 7 anywhere..not sure
if the older 2002's models had that installed or not ? I went to entertainment, memory and
it only shows the bass,tremble,etc. But no mention of logic 7, is it possible I have something else ??

And to answer your other questions it's a yes to everything. Voice commands, sensor, door chime all work just fine...

Rookie2008
06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Ok then you probably have HI FI sound I thinks that's what its called not too sure. So all the other stuff works that's a good thing. Your A.S.K Unit is fine I would assume as for the bass I don't know too much about the HI Fi if I am saying it right sorry.

Blackbeam27
06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
So the A.S.K is fine and I don't have a logic 7 so it can't be that...you think It may be the amp?

It's weird bc only the Front driver side speakers work the rest don't. I was messing with just now and I balanced the volume all the way to the passenger side and you can sorta hear it but it's really low even wit the volume all the way up.

Rookie2008
06-26-2012, 01:52 PM
I am unsure just be patience maybe another member will chime in an offer you some better advice Sorry I can't help.

Blackbeam27
06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
No worries, you helped me eased my worries a bit by knowing the A.S.K is fine. Appreciate you trying. Thank you.
This forum is great!

PAPER
06-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Your Ask is not fine . Sounds like it is
going out . both doors should sound the same
if it was working properly . Also sounds
like your amp went bad . Be glad you
don't have logic 7 at this point . Your
amp should be cheap to replace with 1 from ebay .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

Blackbeam27
06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
so the ASK basically controls the two front door speakers and the amp controls the rear subwoofers?

is it a coincidence that both the amp and ASK went out in the same time or if one faults then usually the one follows?

csmeance
06-26-2012, 06:31 PM
It sounds like your head-unit (ASK unit) went out!

This is the best way to know if you have logic 7! Go to the Entertainment menu -> Tone and you'll see bass, treble, etc. Look and see if you see one that says LOGIC 7! Also you should have an icon with a few lines, and once you select it you'll get an equalizer like the one below:

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq93/csmeance/Bimmerfest/DSC_0176.jpg
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq93/csmeance/Bimmerfest/DSC_0174.jpg

PAPER
06-26-2012, 06:34 PM
You probably didn't notice the passenger door
When the other speakers were working .
You can take the left panel off in your trunk
So you can see which Amp you have .
This way it is easier for you to find 1 on Ebay
& get an idea of what it will cost you

Blackbeam27
06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
csmeance thanks for pictures, and i for sure dont have that logic 7 in my car. the last choice i have is speed volume. i must have the older version 745LI...so if i dont have logic 7 what do i have?

PAPER, that's true , ok i'll check on that tonight...so even tho my Voice commands, sensor, door chime and radio all work just fine i can still have a faulty ASK unit?

csmeance
06-26-2012, 07:06 PM
csmeance thanks for pictures, and i for sure dont have that logic 7 in my car. the last choice i have is speed volume. i must have the older version 745LI...so if i dont have logic 7 what do i have?

PAPER, that's true , ok i'll check on that tonight...so even tho my Voice commands, sensor, door chime and radio all work just fine i can still have a faulty ASK unit?

I have the facelifted (2006+) model and it has an updated version of the 2002-2005 idrive, but it should be relatively similar to what you have!

Blackbeam27
06-27-2012, 06:19 AM
it's basically the same only it doesn't have the logic 7 system. I believe my 745li doesn't have the 11 speakers like the logic 7 system requires. Anyways not sure what to do first , if I should replace the AMP first to see if it fixes my problem or replace the ASK unit..maybe the passenger front door speakers are just blown and need to b replaced avoiding replacing the ASK altogether

Rhummer
06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
MY understanding, you have the 676 option which is HIFI not Logi 7. The ASK runs the left deck rear, right deck rear, right front door, left front door. The amp runs left and right subwoffer(under seats) , right rear door and left rear door. Hope this helps.

Blackbeam27
06-28-2012, 06:27 AM
I didn't know I had subs under the seats. I guess I'll replace whatver is cheaper first the ask
or amp...hopefully I'll get lucky and it fixes everything..i learn my lesson tho no more loud
music in the car, I heard that's another reason why the ask will go bad.. I just don't understand how both ask and amp went out at the same
time

second 7
06-28-2012, 07:04 AM
As I read these forums , I understand that they are very common in these cars and they are even complex to repair. So Barvarian Motor Works got us jammed between a rock and a hard spot. I'm taken a different route. I removed my ask unit along with a faulty one I purchased from a junk yard (same problem) and sent out to repair. The chip that goes bad in them I understand BMW has an exclusive right to Ao a modified chip has to be installed. This machine we opt to drive is amazing ! The people that built it is even more amazing .......

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

Busarider
06-28-2012, 11:42 AM
My dealer wants $1700 + 4.5hrs labour to install the amp. The issue is that the part number comes up as TOP HIFI Amplifier where in fact I have L7.

Blackbeam27
06-28-2012, 12:38 PM
$1,700 for a hi-fi amp? Isn't the hi-fi amp cheaper then the logic 7? Seems like 1,700 is a bit to much.. I believe I can get a good price for a hi fi amp on eBay like PAPER said earlier

second 7
06-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Not to be in anyone's pocket but them kinda numbers you should look into getting your units repaired because I understand that the ask unit SHOULD be (doesnt have to be) registered to the vehicle if its not the original. I'm not sure if that goes for the Amp but Paper and Rookie would be the right people to ask about that. There awesome.......:D

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

PAPER
06-28-2012, 01:46 PM
$1,700 for a hi-fi amp? Isn't the hi-fi amp cheaper then the logic 7? Seems like 1,700 is a bit to much.. I believe I can get a good price for a hi fi amp on eBay like PAPER said earlier

Like I said earlier . Take your rear panel off to see
Which amp you actually have . I believe there are 2 different non logic 7 amps that were used

Rookie2008
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
I know its in a different language but if your not sure how to remove the inside trim just look at the photos. http://www.xolmatic.com/xprojects/XE65/D_Maletero.htm

Rookie2008
06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Here is another diagram on how to remove HIFI amp
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/62/41

Here is a HIFI amp if yours looks like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E65-E66-745-AMPLIFIER-TOP-HIFI-SYSTEM-HARMAN-BECKER-AMP-OEM-/300729330515

Rookie2008
06-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I am Not Responsible For Any Damages
DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!
HOW TO REMOVE L7

1. Open the trunk
2. Remove carpet over spare tire
3. Remove the spare tire cover (board) If Necessary
4. look at the left panel there is a Gray color clip with 2 screws that screw into the floor (remove those)
5. Remove the black rubber molding around the trunk an gray panel.
6. Remove the black plastic cover that is up against the inner trunk wall near the lock. It has 4 black flat plastic screws.
7. At the top an bottom of the left side panel are 5 or 6 black clips (looks like flat screws) 1 at the top an 5 across the bottom. Remove those
8. Remove whole left side panel
9. Depending on the amp you have (For L7 Only) there are 2 metal slide out clips on the side of the amp. Remove those.
******Link For Those Of You Who Have HIFI******http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/62/41
10. Unplug Fiber optic line from L7
11. You are done!

I hope I didn't miss anything I try to do this by memory. Just Trying To Give Back To The Community That Gave To Me. Good Luck!

Rookie2008
06-28-2012, 04:37 PM
IF ANYONE NEED TO REMOVE THERE A.S.K UNIT.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/55/08

bigugly fab
06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
if the door speakers work the ASK is ok. they are powered directly. if the subwoofers and rear deck speakers do not function, that is the AMP. most of the time, its the AMP, not the ASK that dies, although i have replaced quite a few regardless.

all 7 series have subwoofers under the seat.
the only difference is the center speaker, an extra set in the rear doors and rear tweeters in the decklid for LOGIC7.

the most common thing i see on early production E65's are the LOGIC7 or AMP go out due to water engress via the trunk hinges. later models had a water catch tray on both sides to catch the water and vent it out near the bottom where the air vents are.

honestly though, ANYTHING on the MOST bus can cause cracking and distortion. its not radio sound you are hearing, but a loss of information via the fibre optic is where cracks/pops/dead noise is heard.

they are easy to diagnose IMO. they are like the old christmas lights- if one goes out, all of em go out.

PAPER
06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
first time here guys and i need desperate help before taking to the dealership...

i have a 2002 745LI with 70,000 miles. i've had it for a little bit over a year now...
about 2 months ago i started noticing a static and popping noise on the passenger front speaker, i paid no attention to it thinking it will go away. then it started on the back subwoofers.. well basically now all the speakers are not working except for the front driver side,...the twitter by the driver window and the front driver door speaker are the only ones working now.....what can it be???? another thing i dont know if i have a logic 7 system or not...how can i know?

thank you guys! im really worried it will get worse or something.

THIS MEANS YOU HAVE A FAULTY ASK & A BaD AMP ALSO !!!

Blackbeam27
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
if the door speakers work the ASK is ok. they are powered directly. if the subwoofers and rear deck speakers do not function, that is the AMP. most of the time, its the AMP, not the ASK that dies, although i have replaced quite a few regardless.

all 7 series have subwoofers under the seat.
the only difference is the center speaker, an extra set in the rear doors and rear tweeters in the decklid for LOGIC7.

the most common thing i see on early production E65's are the LOGIC7 or AMP go out due to water engress via the trunk hinges. later models had a water catch tray on both sides to catch the water and vent it out near the bottom where the air vents are.

honestly though, ANYTHING on the MOST bus can cause cracking and distortion. its not radio sound you are hearing, but a loss of information via the fibre optic is where cracks/pops/dead noise is heard.

they are easy to diagnose IMO. they are like the old christmas lights- if one goes out, all of em go out.

Remember only my front driver door speakers are
working so I'm guessing the ASK is faulty :-(
it's weird that you mention that amp going out bc of water damage
from the hinges bc when it rained hard the sound usually got worse...
Its just a damn shame that both the ASK and AMP went out around the same time.

Blackbeam27
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
PAPER that will be my next step now..finding a amp and ASK unit. I wanted
to diagnose what the problem was first before buying both but I have no choice. Sucks.

bigugly fab
06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
No listen, if the front door speakers work, the ASK is ok.

I would go with an amp first and see what happens

Rookie2008
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
PAPER that will be my next step now..finding a amp and ASK unit. I wanted
to diagnose what the problem was first before buying both but I have no choice. Sucks.

will let you know your problem

PAPER
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
No listen, if the front door speakers work, the ASK is ok.

I would go with an amp first and see what happens

Did you even read his post ?
He mentioned several times that only the Driver side door speakers are working .

Wouldn't that mean that his Ask unit is faulty since not all front door speakers are working !!!

bigugly fab
06-29-2012, 01:34 PM
it *may* be, but if none of the other speakers are working, wouldnt you want to get those fixed first?

PAPER
06-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Actually I would fix everything the first time .

Blackbeam27
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Oh sweet! Thanks I'll shoot him a email right now! Thanks everyone for the help, I'll let you guys know the final results and what I did to fix the problem.

dontaewsu
04-17-2013, 07:30 AM
I have my car at the BMW place right now cause there is no sound coming from either back door speaker. They are saying it's just for looks for HI FI. Is this true?

Nygel
04-17-2013, 08:26 AM
OK, read slowly......LOL
The ASK unit has 4ch out put and is the command center all inputs come to the ask unit. PDC, VOICE, NAV, WARNING.
The outputs are: driver and passenger front door. Rear deck.
LOGIC AMP 5ch: 2 subs, rear doors( acoustic fill) and center channel.

Thirteen
10-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new here and having similar problems with my 2002 735i.

I've owned the vehicle for about 7 months now. The rear door speakers haven't worked for a while now, and recently the driver side door speakers stopped working also. So essentially, the only things working are the subs, the rear speakers on the rear dash and the passenger door speakers.

When I inspected the amp, trying to diagnose the problem, I noticed that the amp was extremely hot, so plugged it out, hoping that maybe this would solve the problem. It hasn't.

Also, the dvd navigation unit after about 20/30 minutes of working, ejects the disk and makes the front cd player switch from cd to fm radio for a couple of minutes. Not sure if this is related?? Also, I don't have a Logic 7 system.

BMW have told me that, they're not sure what's wrong, but in order for them to diagnose the problem, they would charge 110. This is not something I was happy about! Lol

A friend of mine told me to check out the forums as stereo problems seem to be a common fault with these 7 series... So here I am!

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm kind of @ my wits end, and am contemplating diving into my savings to replace the whole system. I'm a musician and I need my sounds!!

Thanks in advance!

Nygel
10-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new here and having similar problems with my 2002 735i.

I've owned the vehicle for about 7 months now. The rear door speakers haven't worked for a while now, and recently the driver side door speakers stopped working also. So essentially, the only things working are the subs, the rear speakers on the rear dash and the passenger door speakers.

When I inspected the amp, trying to diagnose the problem, I noticed that the amp was extremely hot, so plugged it out, hoping that maybe this would solve the problem. It hasn't.

Also, the dvd navigation unit after about 20/30 minutes of working, ejects the disk and makes the front cd player switch from cd to fm radio for a couple of minutes. Not sure if this is related?? Also, I don't have a Logic 7 system.

BMW have told me that, they're not sure what's wrong, but in order for them to diagnose the problem, they would charge ***163;110. This is not something I was happy about! Lol

A friend of mine told me to check out the forums as stereo problems seem to be a common fault with these 7 series... So here I am!

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm kind of @ my wits end, and am contemplating diving into my savings to replace the whole system. I'm a musician and I need my sounds!!

Thanks in advance!

Just because you are new does not exempt you from reading. Your issue has been discuss numerous times and even mentioned in this thread. Your symptoms is a know issue and a major design flaw.

Sent from my HTCONE using BimmerApp mobile app

Thirteen
10-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Just because you are new does not exempt you from reading. Your issue has been discuss numerous times and even mentioned in this thread. Your symptoms is a know issue and a major design flaw.

Sent from my HTCONE using BimmerApp mobile app
Wow, that was a pretty rude response.

I did read, hence I posted my question in this thread. Since my problem is similar but @ the same time different. Not to worry, I'll sort it out on my own. Thanks.

PAPER
10-05-2013, 07:01 PM
wow, that was a pretty rude response.

I did read, hence i posted my question in this thread. Since my problem is similar but @ the same time different. Not to worry, i'll sort it out on my own. Thanks.

looks like you need an ask unit , l7 amp , & a navi unit .