PDA

View Full Version : Why do I need the speed?

burnie35
06-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Order a Cobb yesterday (should be here tomorrow) ... but have been having second thoughts ... especially after my little ride this afternoon.

My wife enjoys riding and driving the 535i Sport ... this is our third BMW, so I said let's go out and run it up the highway to "clean the bugs out", heh, heh. So as I entered the on-ramp to I-75, I noticed an 18-wheeler in the right lane of the highway (to my left) moving right along. Anyway, I put it in third (MS) and ran it up to about 80mph to enter the highway ... no one was ahead of me ... but the truck was in the right lane, after all. So I stomped it a bit more, got up to about 100 and was free of the truck, then slowed back to 80 (speed limit is 70mph).

Probably shouldn't do things like that, but it really does feel good. The only thing is, this car already flies, so why do I need (want) the Cobb? :dunno:

uwhusky
06-26-2012, 02:46 PM
It's like asking the multi-millionaire why he needs more money. The answer is "because".

There's no such thing as too much HP or being too rich or being too good looking.

conrua
06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Order a Cobb yesterday (should be here tomorrow) ... but have been having second thoughts ... especially after my little ride this afternoon.

My wife enjoys riding and driving the 535i Sport ... this is our third BMW, so I said let's go out and run it up the highway to "clean the bugs out", heh, heh. So as I entered the on-ramp to I-75, I noticed an 18-wheeler in the right lane of the highway (to my left) moving right along. Anyway, I put it in third (MS) and ran it up to about 80mph to enter the highway ... no one was ahead of me ... but the truck was in the right lane, after all. So I stomped it a bit more, got up to about 100 and was free of the truck, then slowed back to 80 (speed limit is 70mph).

Probably shouldn't do things like that, but it really does feel good. The only thing is, this car already flies, so why do I need (want) the Cobb? :dunno:

Please post some observations on the Cobb. I just purchased 2010 535i M Sport and interested to hear how it works out on the 535i. I'm leaning toward the Cobb instead of JB4.

There's no such thing as having too much power ... but I do just want to feel how fast an extra 80 bhp or so is on an open road. Part of the reason I like turbos is for novice DIYer like myself to easily tune the engine for more power.

burnie35
06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
It's like asking the multi-millionaire why he needs more money. The answer is "because".

There's no such thing as too much HP or being too rich or being too good looking.

Damn! I'm too good looking too!

NoQuarter
06-26-2012, 05:28 PM
If you have to ask.... You don't need the extra power.!

patryan
06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
I got a JB4 and put it in a few days ago. It adds a decent kick, but finding some open road to use it safely on is the challenge. Fun on on ramps though.

BMWFAN275
06-26-2012, 08:59 PM
I can understand your sensibility. It's not like the stock car is underpowered, it is quite fun as delivered by the factory. I live in a crowded part of the country. Room to really run is rare, I can get into plenty of trouble without a chip.

Jaycal3
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
You dont need it... send it my way!!:thumbup:

Oceans10
06-26-2012, 10:19 PM
For daily drivers it adds an extra element of flexibility to the engine. It feels more eager, and at lower rpms it has tons more torque. That makes it easy to maneuver around, and it feels even more effortless, light on its feet. It's another layer of luxury to what is already there.
Then in a tight spot on the highway, or pulling around a turtle, it just swishes.
A 535 with basic tune is like a 550 with 2-300 lbs less weight. Think of it that way.
If you don't want the power of a 550, then stay stock. Some do want that and crave more. That's the slippery slope that leads to methanol, larger downpipes, and even larger turbos. Those add ons put an M5 in the rear view mirror.

Another way to think of it is in audiophile terms. My office stereo has a 200W power amplifier (conservatively rated.) Why do I need that for a smallish pair of bookshelf speakers? I never play louder than 10% of its decibel potential. But the answer is that it just sounds more controlled with all that excess capacity on tap.

NoQuarter
06-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Great description Ocean!!

dolfan13
06-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Look up the ole hot rodders joke about the big D..k contest.Didnt need all of it just enough to win.

burnie35
06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
For daily drivers it adds an extra element of flexibility to the engine. It feels more eager, and at lower rpms it has tons more torque. That makes it easy to maneuver around, and it feels even more effortless, light on its feet. It's another layer of luxury to what is already there.
Then in a tight spot on the highway, or pulling around a turtle, it just swishes.
A 535 with basic tune is like a 550 with 2-300 lbs less weight. Think of it that way.
If you don't want the power of a 550, then stay stock. Some do want that and crave more. That's the slippery slope that leads to methanol, larger downpipes, and even larger turbos. Those add ons put an M5 in the rear view mirror.

Another way to think of it is in audiophile terms. My office stereo has a 200W power amplifier (conservatively rated.) Why do I need that for a smallish pair of bookshelf speakers? I never play louder than 10% of its decibel potential. But the answer is that it just sounds more controlled with all that excess capacity on tap.

Well put!

Knowing I'll probably install it for just those reasons ... I just hope I don't get the "bug" for more. Problem is once you get something you want, it doesn't seem to be enough (just like a kid getting the latest toy). Anyway, my wife drives the car too so I'm going to set it to Stage 1 Drive to start with ... trouble is, I might have more trouble with her than me ... she sort of has a lead foot.

We're driving up to New England (from Florida) this week-end for a couple of weeks (total of about 3,000 miles), so I'm a bit reluctant to install the Cobb, and may not do so till I get back. Just concerned that if I have any car problems I (or my wife) will blame the Cobb. Of course, it'll be sitting there in the box ... :rolleyes:

I realize that it can be uninstalled, but I've been in the computer business for many years and "if something can go wrong, it will go wrong" ... at the most inconvenient time ... like can't get the oem system reinstalled. Besides, I'm not convinced that all traces of modification will be removed. Anyway, my new toy arrives this afternoon. :D

Oceans10
06-27-2012, 07:54 AM
PS, I have a gauge hijack feature enabled so I can monitor turbo boost on my gas gauge. During much driving the turbos are either completely shut off or barely active. That is part of the reason we enjoy such stellar gas mileage. I get 29 mpg cruising at steady speed on the highway. It's because I am runing on the 6 cylinders without any extra help from the turbos.
Around town I might see 4-5 psi of boost when accelerating up a hill.
I also have the MPG gauge hijacked to show methanol flow rate. It only activates when I hit the gas pedal hard and get rpms and boost rates up. The rest of the time it is hibernating.
I like this wolf in sheep's cloting effect. Smooth and mellow at lower throttle input. But when you call for more power it is all right there waiting to spring into action. Best of both worlds.

My M5 buddy gets 12 mpg in mixed driving. I am close to 19. Gotta love that, because performance wise there is not much to separate us. Actually I have a significant torque advantage.

Oceans10
06-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Well put!

Knowing I'll probably install it for just those reasons ... I just hope I don't get the "bug" for more. Problem is once you get something you want, it doesn't seem to be enough (just like a kid getting the latest toy). Anyway, my wife drives the car too so I'm going to set it to Stage 1 Drive to start with ... trouble is, I might have more trouble with her than me ... she sort of has a lead foot.

We're driving up to New England (from Florida) this week-end for a couple of weeks (total of about 3,000 miles), so I'm a bit reluctant to install the Cobb, and may not do so till I get back. Just concerned that if I have any car problems I (or my wife) will blame the Cobb. Of course, it'll be sitting there in the box ... :rolleyes:

I realize that it can be uninstalled, but I've been in the computer business for many years and "if something can go wrong, it will go wrong" ... at the most inconvenient time ... like can't get the oem system reinstalled. Besides, I'm not convinced that all traces of modification will be removed. Anyway, my new toy arrives this afternoon. :D

Just put it in and enjoy. My wife does not know my car is tuned, nor hers! She only presses the pedal enough to get the power she needs, has no clue how much more is there.
Man up! Especially for a long drive.

booyaazaa
06-27-2012, 08:25 AM
PS, I have a gauge hijack feature enabled so I can monitor turbo boost on my gas gauge. During much driving the turbos are either completely shut off or barely active. That is part of the reason we enjoy such stellar gas mileage. I get 29 mpg cruising at steady speed on the highway. It's because I am runing on the 6 cylinders without any extra help from the turbos.
Around town I might see 4-5 psi of boost when accelerating up a hill.
I also have the MPG gauge hijacked to show methanol flow rate. It only activates when I hit the gas pedal hard and get rpms and boost rates up. The rest of the time it is hibernating.
I like this wolf in sheep's cloting effect. Smooth and mellow at lower throttle input. But when you call for more power it is all right there waiting to spring into action. Best of both worlds.

My M5 buddy gets 12 mpg in mixed driving. I am close to 19. Gotta love that, because performance wise there is not much to separate us. Actually I have a significant torque advantage.

Hey Oceans10, how did you hijack your gauge to show boost? And can you get it to show boost on the mpg gauge?

conrua
06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Was able to push the car late last night coming home from Braves vs D-Backs game. 400 was emptied for most part. Downshifted to M3 and floored it ... the rush of acceleration is amazing ... hit 120 in no time. Can't wait for the Cobb and can't imagine what the extra power will feel like. Very happy with my purchase decision ... :thumbup:!

uwhusky
06-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Hey Burnie35, my thinking is exactly like yours except I haven't bought the Cobb yet but am getting close. Your logic makes sense. Like you, I don't even use the factory power the car has all that often but when I do, it is generally plenty of power. That being said, I'd like to have more when the time presents itself.

The past month I have been challenged on the freeway by two different cars, both of which I smoked somewhat handily but would have liked to smoke them even harder for there to be no doubt whatsoever (not that I think there was). A Volvo C30 tried to rally with me on the freeway and even coming off the offramp. An Acura TSX tried to rally me on the freeway and I smoked him too. Clearly neither car presents much competition for the 535 but looking back I would have loved to have the Cobb tune to beat them down even more. I'm actually offended they even tried.

I also want to get the Cobb because my good friend has a 335 convertible he rallies pretty hard. I want to show him what the Cobb tune can do on my car and hopefully be able to smoke him when we are out driving.

Oceans10
06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Hey Oceans10, how did you hijack your gauge to show boost? And can you get it to show boost on the mpg gauge?

You can put on either gauge, and there is another option where it only switches to show boost at more than half throttle. Dual output! It's all part of the JB4 selection menu. :thumbup: Very convenient.

Oceans10
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Was able to push the car late last night coming home from Braves vs D-Backs game. 400 was emptied for most part. Downshifted to M3 and floored it ... the rush of acceleration is amazing ... hit 120 in no time. Can't wait for the Cobb and can't imagine what the extra power will feel like. Very happy with my purchase decision ... :thumbup:!

LOL, until your 335 friend realizes what you did and then tunes his! It's inevitable.:tsk:

335s are really quick, especially tuned. They fly.

TLO03
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Low end drivability is better that's why.

ModBargains III
06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Stay safe Burnie, don't want to get any speeding tickets and tick off the wife! Glad we got you set up on that COBB though :)

mbur
06-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I installed the Cobb AP on my stock 2010 535i last month. Didn't need the extra power but really enjoy the extra low end grunt. Feels much quicker on freeway ramps and passing on freeway. Car idles and runs as smoothly as stock, gets a bit better mileage and I know the power is available when I feel like using it. I don't see a downside.

Anybody running the 4.0 maps?

MachtSchnell
06-28-2012, 08:52 PM
So my recommendation is enjoy it and implement a few counter measures. Good radar detector and a laser jammer. You'll get your monies worth out of all 3 then:)

booyaazaa
06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
You can put on either gauge, and there is another option where it only switches to show boost at more than half throttle. Dual output! It's all part of the JB4 selection menu. :thumbup: Very convenient.

Damnit, I guess no hijacking for me since I'm looking at a Cobb instead of the JB4. Thanks for the info Oceans10.

burnie35
06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Got my Cobb installed today and have been driving around to get the feel of it. It seems to have more pep (Stage 1 Drive, Stock Throttle), mainly over 2.5k, but I'm still learning (and I think so is the Cobb).

By the way, I believe you can monitor boost and display it on the AccessPORT.

Thegame6752
06-28-2012, 11:48 PM
I got a JB4 tunner I bought 2 weeks ago that I'm going to sell if anyones looking. I found I just don't use it here in Vegas so midas well give it up to someone who will. The low end torque is nice. Always like getting pushed back into the seat when I barely hit the gas. I have the receipt that shows the purchase date and I'll give it up for less then you can buy it from burger. PM for info.

uwhusky
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Bought my Cobb last night after all this talk on the boards. Should have some opinions on it later next week!