PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in 2006 Station Wagon?

jborchel
06-27-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm looking at a 2006 530Xi wagon tomorrow. Is this a good car or does it have some major issues I should be aware of. The price seems fairly low for such an expensive car with less than 50K miles.

phlfly
06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Water leaks from panoramic sunroof. It's a big problem on those 5 series.

jborchel
06-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Water leaks from panoramic sunroof. It's a big problem on those 5 series.

Is there a known fix for this problem.

Oceans10
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
You get a lot more car for your money with a 2008 535 wagon.

tmcd535ixt
06-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Any 6 year old car could potentially have serious issues lurking. Regarding the sunroof leaking: have the dealer pull out the spare tire for you and look in the space underneath, there are critical electronics down there and that is where the water pools when there is/has been a sunroof issue, if there is any evidence of corrosion or that water has been there then make sure the appropriate fixes were made to the sunroof drain tubes. The wagons also have some history of the rear self-leveling suspension mechanism failing but this is not as common. Aside from those, they are great cars...and I second what Oceans says, the 2008 and above 535's are much more fun!

If you're not purchasing from a bmw dealer, make sure you take it to one for a full workup and history of repairs and maintenance.

jborchel
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Any 6 year old car could potentially have serious issues lurking. Regarding the sunroof leaking: have the dealer pull out the spare tire for you and look in the space underneath, there are critical electronics down there and that is where the water pools when there is/has been a sunroof issue, if there is any evidence of corrosion or that water has been there then make sure the appropriate fixes were made to the sunroof drain tubes. The wagons also have some history of the rear self-leveling suspension mechanism failing but this is not as common. Aside from those, they are great cars...and I second what Oceans says, the 2008 and above 535's are much more fun!

If you're not purchasing from a bmw dealer, make sure you take it to one for a full workup and history of repairs and maintenance.

I like the idea of a 2008 but that is probably another $10K+ and blows through my ceiling price.

Any issues with the 4 wheel drive? Is this wagon a gas hog? My current wagon, a 2001 Volvo V70 returns roughly 23 mpg overall on premium gas.

tmcd535ixt
06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
I've never heard of any issues with the 4 wheel drive system. I'm getting about 23MPG avg now but it's a different engine, not sure what the 530 does. On another note, I had an 01 Volvo S80 prior to this, although I loved that car for it's reliability and smoothness, it's just not exciting to drive like the 535.

silverbimmer3
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
also make sure not to open the hatch in pouring rain, there is an antenna (costs about $200) within the rear spoiler which is NOT water tight.

i got mine damaged by rain water, but got covered by dealer since there was an SIB, maybe?

the 1st symptom is that the remote will not be able to lock or unlock the car.