PDA

View Full Version : 2004 545i bluetooth and ipod questions

thejodz
06-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi all. New to the forum, just bought a 2004 545i 6MT and absolutely love it. I have some questions about bluetooth and music.

Based on what I'm seeing in iDrive, the car isn't set up for bluetooth. I've read in some other posts that it might require either a simple reprogramming to get it working, or a whole new TCU. The build date is 11/2003. Apart from bringing it to the stealership, how can I tell what it will need---ie, if I can find the TCU is it obvious whether it has the bluetooth module?

I found a used TCU for $150, so if mine doesn't have the bluetooth module is just a simple swap and reprogram?

I know there will be some responders that will say "just go buy a bluetooth kit from Best Buy cuz it will be cheaper", and while I appreciate that advice i would rather pay the money and get the functionality in the car (it increases the value anyway).

Also, has anyone had any luck with adding an iPod/iPhone dock, or an aux input jack?? Any recommendations or ideas? Can I kill both of these birds with one stone?

Thanks in advance
Jody

alirzn
06-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I also have this problem with my 2004 BMW 530I.??

bimmerfan52
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Did you check your owners manual?

Did you read the sticky at the top of the Bimmerfest page?

Assume you know your way around the iDrive menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIsyDuFvpeM

The early E60s were particular about which phones they would mate with. My 545i had a build date of March 2004 and the Bluetooth works great with my Motorola Q9h (I know - I live in the stone age - Fred Flintstone used my phone ).

Don't know if there was a date after which Bluetooth was offered or if the Logic7 option (which mine has) makes a difference.

thejodz
06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
No bluetooth isn't even in the iDrive menu. It's not about pairing a phone it's about adding the bluetooth functionality.

bimmerfan52
06-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Wasn't sure if you knew for sure if you had Bluetooth or didn't (maybe you picked up the car two hours ago).

If you are positive you don't have it then I agree iDrive instruction is fruitless.

bimmerfan52
06-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Don't know if these help at all.

thejodz
06-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Yeah thanks thats a good start on figuring out bluetooth!

Anyone have any iPod/iPhone dock recommendations?

thejodz
06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
never mind, found the sticky thread about ipods...