PDA

View Full Version : After slow cranks, it won't start...now what?

robertmspeakout
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Two days ago, I noticed the car wasn't starting immediately up all day like usually does, but it wasn't bad enough to really concern me. Then yesterday, the cranks took even longer until it actually would not start on the first try. Then, I pushed the button harder and longer and the car started up, though slowly and barely turned over. After that, the car ran like a champ. When I got home, I tried to start it again - and nothing. All I hear is a slight click, then what sounds like a puff of air and a low humm. But the engine doesn't even try to start. Everything else, however, works fine.

I've tested the battery, it has a full charge. So, it's not the battery and I'm assuming then that it's not the alternator. Which, leaves the starter.

I've read a few posts on how to replace the starter and feel like I could manage to take care of that myself. However, my concern is that modern starters aren't usually prone to just dying and I may be wasting a couple hundred bucks and a Saturday trying to replace it. I've read that the ignition switch can also lead to some similar problems. I'm hoping someone on this board may have some insight from experience to offer me. What should I do?

Also, though I seriously doubt either of these things has anything to do with this, I did change a dead "halo" bulb on the front passenger side and got a oil change over the weekend. Just an FYI on the long shot that either could have an impact on my problem.

NoQuarter
06-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Two days ago, I noticed the car wasn't starting immediately up all day like usually does, but it wasn't bad enough to really concern me. Then yesterday, the cranks took even longer until it actually would not start on the first try. Then, I pushed the button harder and longer and the car started up, though slowly and barely turned over. After that, the car ran like a champ. When I got home, I tried to start it again - and nothing. All I hear is a slight click, then what sounds like a puff of air and a low humm. But the engine doesn't even try to start. Everything else, however, works fine.

I've tested the battery, it has a full charge. So, it's not the battery and I'm assuming then that it's not the alternator. Which, leaves the starter.

I've read a few posts on how to replace the starter and feel like I could manage to take care of that myself. However, my concern is that modern starters aren't usually prone to just dying and I may be wasting a couple hundred bucks and a Saturday trying to replace it. I've read that the ignition switch can also lead to some similar problems. I'm hoping someone on this board may have some insight from experience to offer me. What should I do?

Also, though I seriously doubt either of these things has anything to do with this, I did change a dead "halo" bulb on the front passenger side and got a oil change over the weekend. Just an FYI on the long shot that either could have an impact on my problem.

I have never read any accounts of problems with the ignition switch. If you are convinced pressing harder on the switch had some sort of influence on it working then certainly start there I would think.

robertmspeakout
06-27-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm certainly not convinced at all actually. It's just that as the car's crank time got longer, I had to keep the button pushed in order to give it time to turn over. I don't think it's the button, or the switch behind it - I just through that detail in there in case it might be relevant.

borderchris
06-28-2012, 07:46 AM
You should never have to "hold" the start button; if you do, then you have an issue. Start / Stop only needs to be lightly pressed, and then released. The ECM should juice the starter until the engine cranks, without your holding the button (in a normally operating car).