PDA

View Full Version : e60 wheel bearing replace

silverbimmer3
06-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Long time no see.

I was reading some post on e39 section, and found that the wheel bearings of e39 comes with the drive hub! although the price of the part is more expensive (double!), but the process seems much easier.

so how many man-hours are we talking about for replacing 1 front wheel bearing, either DIY or dealer job?

It looks like a lot of work, at least the drive hub has to be knocked off, in addition to other tasks.

Thanks!

e39krazy
06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
How many miles on the car? I highly highly doubt you have a bad wheel bearing in an 06. http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/45/04

silverbimmer3
06-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Hello e39Krazy. Thanks for the reply and TIS. On the TIS, it looks like the wheel hub is attached to the bearing all the time?!

I've been doing a lot travel, there are about 120K miles on the car, it has that speed-related grinding / circling noise, especially louder when I make left circles, from the front end of the car.

So it really sounded like a bad bearing; although I know they don't easily go bad.

silverbimmer3
07-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Hello all.

I got a quote from dealership and the cost of labor is like$900, and they recommend replacing the drive hub also, this means the parts will cost almost $500

so it is like $1400 to have the wheel bearings (+ hub) replaced.

Does this look correct to you?

pcy
07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
I am not sure why they recommended you to replace the drive hub.
Go to a place where they replace/remanufacture drive shafts and axles. They will know how to replace bearing.

WJGreer
07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
How many miles on the car? I highly highly doubt you have a bad wheel bearing in an 06. http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/45/04Actually, my '05 developed a bad wheel bearing in '07 - almost new. The CA said it was very rare. Loud as hell.

silverbimmer3
07-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Hello there. Could you please describe the loud noise you've been hearing?

I just had the driver side front bearing replaced, but still there is a grinding noise from underneath the car.

It is most noticeable at 30mph (going straight or not), and during braking; and now I wonder if it is from the transfer case, since my car is an XI model. By the way the transfer case fluid was changed at 100K miles, according to the e60 factory recommended service schedule.

My other car (e46 m3) never makes such noises, maybe because I don't drive it that much.

Thank you.

Actually, my '05 developed a bad wheel bearing in '07 - almost new. The CA said it was very rare. Loud as hell.

WJGreer
07-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Hello there. Could you please describe the loud noise you've been hearing?

I just had the driver side front bearing replaced, but still there is a grinding noise from underneath the car.

It is most noticeable at 30mph (going straight or not), and during braking; and now I wonder if it is from the transfer case, since my car is an XI model. By the way the transfer case fluid was changed at 100K miles, according to the e60 factory recommended service schedule.

My other car (e46 m3) never makes such noises, maybe because I don't drive it that much.

Thank you.On mine, the bearing was already worn when I acquired the car with 29,000 miles. I thought it was engine noise, since I wasn't used tot he way the car was supposed to sound. I heard it going straight or otherwise, and it got louder the faster I went.

Then, at some point, I started to hear a different sound - more like a metal rubbing, and I heard it only when I was turning slightly left at speed, like when I was on a highway interchange flyover.

It was that second problem that sent me to the shop. Only when I picked up the car and drove it home did I realize that the initial "roaring" sound I had always heard was gone. It was a wonderful moment, to be honest.