PDA

View Full Version : What cable and software are you using...and WHY?

DriftGirl
06-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Theres a million threads i've read here...most say "use the search function":confused:..which is cool...until u see the first 200 threads saying the same thing.:mad:

. Just wanted to get a centralized response from people doing their own diagnostics/coding:thumbup:

What cable / software setup are you using and why did u go that route??

Expo BMW
06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
This is the thread that started it all...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509729&highlight=programmed+my+windows

MOPAULY
06-27-2012, 07:45 PM
I use the factory BMW apps - INPA, NCS EXPERT, PROGMAN, DIS, AND TIS. You can buy the DVD's on eBay and cable, then head over to BMWcoding.com once you know what your doing. Start here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505694&highlight=

sirstopher
06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Here is the cable I just purchased, you will need windows xp32 bit or request the new DVD form this seller.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110882363672

wjjklj
06-27-2012, 08:19 PM
I use the BMW 2.01 + Hit scanner from www.xcar360.com. There are 3 versions of software from carsofttools.com generally referred to BMW Dash. It costs about $160 can read all the vehicles modules, shows all factory options and build sheet, can program the vin to the car modules, reads and clears codes, and resets service intervals.

sirstopher
06-27-2012, 09:31 PM
I use the BMW 2.01 + Hit scanner from www.xcar360.com. There are 3 versions of software from carsofttools.com generally referred to BMW Dash. It costs about $160 can read all the vehicles modules, shows all factory options and build sheet, can program the vin to the car modules, reads and clears codes, and resets service intervals.

But will not register the battery.

wjjklj
06-27-2012, 09:33 PM
But will not register the battery.

No it won't register the battery but is much easier to use than INPA. Probably easier to use for most members. You can get your battery registered by your Indy for less than $50.

firemedic521
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Just bought a cable on eBay for 50$. Spent the morning trying to get inpa and edibias to work. Finally got it working. Pretty cool tool but very complicated.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

sirstopher
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
No it won't register the battery but is much easier to use than INPA. Probably easier to use for most members. You can get your battery registered by your Indy for less than $50.

INPA is pretty easy, now for coding NCS expert is a totally different ball game.

Will car soft work with a normal cable? PAPER?

PAPER
06-28-2012, 03:39 AM
INPA is pretty easy, now for coding NCS expert is a totally different ball game.

Will car soft work with a normal cable? PAPER?

:thumbdwn:

dgoodsell
06-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Inpa, ncsexpert, and still trying to get dis working. Also have the thing from xcar360 and have found it useless been trying to return it since I bought it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

stuartjohn24
06-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I use the BMW standard tools package, INPA, Tool32, WinKFP and NCS Expert etc.... A little bit of messing around to get it going but 100% worth it, DIS is good, but offers little over the BMW Standard Tools, especially with regards to the E65 anyway. (although im installing it now to sort out by CBS issue!)

DIS and Progman are user friendly versions of the software applications I have mentioned above. They were what the dealer used, however they are not particularly easy to install DIS especially as its UNIX based and needs to run in a virtual machine with virtual networks connection to a diagnostic head emulator and EDIABAS if you use the cheap $50 ebay leads. If you have the genuine diagnostic head and an IBM laptop your laughing! (kind of...)

INPA: Is used for code reading and component activation and testing. This is the most used tool.

Tool32: Has a variety of uses, writing VIN numbers, testing specific parameters of modules etc... (im sure it has many more I have yet to discover!)

WinKFP: Is used to flash updated software to modules if they are being replaced or require updating, very useful, this is basically the manual version of the dealer progman software.

NCS Expert: This edits coding files/parameters of modules, essential for retrofitting modules and activating new functions.

Im no expert with this stuff and have picked it up as ive been playing around, there are others that are very knowledgeable on the aspects of this software namely PAPER who has helped myself and countless others on this forum.

Personally I would keep away from third party software, but thats just my opinion!

Stuart

HarrowB
07-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I use inpa, ncs expert, dis and navcoder and other standard bmw tools. I don't use SSS anymore since I learnt ncs. I bought my cable from bmtechnic.co.uk as they have an installer tool for all the software which means you don't have to do all the difficult setup.

AceFX
07-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I use Dashsoft. Has really easy windows interface and I have done many things to my car with it and always with success.

wjjklj
07-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I use Dashsoft. Has really easy windows interface and I have done many things to my car with it and always with success.

What version software are you using?

AceFX
07-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Version 2.1

wjjklj
07-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Version 2.1

There is a newer version 2.20 that paper told me about. You might pm him for the link.

hwatson
07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Is anyone using INPA on a Windows 7 computer? If so, what version and where can I get a copy?

Thanks
Henry

sirstopher
07-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Is anyone using INPA on a Windows 7 computer? If so, what version and where can I get a copy?

Thanks
Henry

I have INPA on windows 7 64 bit, I think it's version 5.02. I had another member here help me load it up using his software package.

Go to the DIY section and read the thread on updating your transmission software. You can download quick tools there. You will then need to download the daten files, follow that thread.

You also might look into the coding forum and several topics on the e39. I would upload to the net and share but I do not know the copyright information of this software.

It's all very confusing to get installed, and a basic pain in the butt. I am hoping to get this figured out soon.