PDA

View Full Version : Why does SMG has the poorest Mileage? But best looking steering wheel.

speedracerf4i
06-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Hello All,

I am researching to buy an 545i to replace my 328i stick-shift. I love to buy stick again, but wife vetoed it (my E36 was acquired before I met her). So, the next best thing would be the SMG. However, the gas mileage for the SMG is 16/24 which is 2 mpg less than Steptronic. This will also kick in the mandatory Gas Guzzler Tax here in CA, making the car over a grand more expensive to buy.

I am still debating between SMG or auto. I love the steering wheel of SMG, which I think it's the best looking wheel to date from BMW, but am not thrilled about the poorer mileage, gas guzzler tax, and the jerkiness in auto mode associated with SMG.

Does anyone know why SMG sips more gas than steptronic or manual? :dunno:

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Because the EPA almost certainly runs the test in auto mode.

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Oh yeah, and if you plan to drive in auto mode, you're an absolute idiot if you get SMG.

speedracerf4i
06-08-2004, 05:54 PM
I have no other choice but to consider SMG, becuase my wife wants to drive it sometimes too. I've heard that when left in "Auto" the shift will ve jerky, but to what extend? Is is bearable or annoying?

I know I much rather drive with 3 pedals instead of just 2.

Now, if I drive the SMG an shift myself, would I get the same mileage as regular stick would get?

zhangqj
06-08-2004, 11:53 PM
I have no other choice but to consider SMG, becuase my wife wants to drive it sometimes too. I've heard that when left in "Auto" the shift will ve jerky, but to what extend? Is is bearable or annoying?

Can't she learn to drive with 3 pedals?

heezyo2o
06-09-2004, 01:54 AM
Your driving habits will dictate your mileage to a greater degree. Does SMG have the same gear ratio as the other transmissions as that could affect mileage.

I have a stick, but would be more than happy with SMG. Consider yourself lucky.

heezyo2o
06-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Oh and at first glance, not really feeling the SMG steering wheel.

speedracerf4i
06-09-2004, 10:47 AM
I have tried to teach my wife on how to drive stick, but she has very poor coordination skills (can't understand the concept of matching egine speed with the road speed) and is afraid to touch a stick-shift car.

I think the stick and SMG have the same gear ratios. That's why I don't understand the poorer milead found in SMG. Perhaps the shift program is on the aggressive side when left in auto.

I am 80% sure now that steptronic would be the way to go in my case. I just have to figure out between an 04' or wait 3 months for the 05'

Robbed666
02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
If she has a coordination problem than a SMG will be even harder to drive smoothly than
a stick shift. You need to lift ever so slightly at gear changes on the gas. Its a skill that
needs to be mastered if you want any type of smooth transistion between gears. The SMG is not an AUTO, but a manual box with hydraulics controlling the clutch and gear selection. As the SMG is a manual box the loses are (should be the same) as a stick manual box. So gas mileage should be the same as I understand it.

okiemark
02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I think the SMG has poorer gas mileage than the automatics because of the downshifting double-clutching, which in the city happens all the time. I can't imagine there would be a difference on the highway, unless slightly in favor of the SMG.

The SMG does look impressive, but my next drive will be a manual--just cause it's more fun. My wife can drive her own car.

aronisonfire
03-11-2007, 05:31 PM
wow.. go easy on the paleontology.. this thread is since 2004

chuck92103
03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Regardless of EPA, SMG and manual will always get less MPG than a computer controlled tranny. No one ever shifts a manual at the optimum shift points all the time.

JSpira
03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
If she has a coordination problem than a SMG will be even harder to drive smoothly than
a stick shift. You need to lift ever so slightly at gear changes on the gas. Its a skill that
needs to be mastered if you want any type of smooth transistion between gears. The SMG is not an AUTO, but a manual box with hydraulics controlling the clutch and gear selection. As the SMG is a manual box the loses are (should be the same) as a stick manual box. So gas mileage should be the same as I understand it.
You would think that this problem has resolved itself since it was posted, i.e. in the almost three years it took for you to reply.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

stevepow
03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
wow.. go easy on the paleontology.. this thread is since 2004

:p :rofl: :tsk: