PDA

View Full Version : pre LCI cornering light identification

HyBry
06-28-2012, 05:48 AM
Hello all!

Long story short I am looking at buying pre LCI E60.
One of the features I want is cornering lights that come with Bi-Xenons. Just to be clear I mean lights (H3 i think) that come on in low speeds to illuminate corners and curbs when turn signal is enabled or wheel is turned and not turn signal or moving Xenons.

Problem is that I can't seem to find an easy way to identify if the car has them. My understanding is that not all E60s with Bi-Xenons have these.

Thanks in advance.

TangoRed
06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
No pre-LCI models have them. It was part of the LCI update.

HyBry
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
No pre-LCI models have them. It was part of the LCI update.

Are you sure?
I was under the impression that they were intrudeced along with adaptive bi-xenon headlights around 2005 which is before LCI.
What I can't seem to find is if it was a standard part of adaptive bi-xenon headlights or an additional option. Or if it is possible to have them without adaptive headlights.

Bad Debt
06-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Wife's 05 545i has adaptive xenons. Adaptive headlights= lights that turn with the car.

jim165
06-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Wife's 05 545i has adaptive xenons.

But does she have the cornering lamps?

Bad Debt
06-29-2012, 07:42 AM
But does she have the cornering lamps?

I thought adapative means they corner.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/mm_adaptive_headlights.html

boramkiv
06-29-2012, 09:06 AM
The adaptive light feature has been around for a while. Your headlights steer into the corner you're travling. LCI 5's (2008-2011) have an additional feature which is the cornering lights (not found on pre-LCI 2004-2007). When turning a corner at slow speeds the inner bulb on that side will illuminate.

Jaycal3
06-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Its post-LCI... not sure I would ever make that a condition of my purchase though... to each his own.

TangoRed
06-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Are you sure?
I was under the impression that they were intrudeced along with adaptive bi-xenon headlights around 2005 which is before LCI.
What I can't seem to find is if it was a standard part of adaptive bi-xenon headlights or an additional option. Or if it is possible to have them without adaptive headlights.

I'm positive. BMW put them in E90s around the same time. If it's an LCI car with adaptive bi-xenons, then it has cornering lights. There's no other combination. I really like that future but I can't say it'd be a deal breaker.

HyBry
06-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Darn. I really wanted this. I came across it on '06 Passat, and it is really handy in dark winter nights. I will agree that there is not much use in light up places (city) or in summer for that matter.
My guess is that there is no point in coding/modifying to enable it either as the reflector would not be the right angle.

Thank all.

2chill
06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
The cornering lights are in deed only on the LCI's with the xenon lights. They are the dimmest cornering lights I've ever seen. I can't see how a driver would even notice they are lit. I wouldn't make it a deal breaker on the car. You'll never see any benefits of having them other than just knowing you have them.