PDA

View Full Version : Outside Door Handle Getting Stuck

Ds650quad
06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm a long time lurker and have spent many hours reading posts in this forum. I bought my 2004 745 LI about five years ago. I have had very few problems with the car and haven't spent too much money maintaining it:thumbup:
I was hoping someone in the forum could help me out. I searched and could not really see any posts that described my problem.
When I pull the front passenger door handle, It gets stuck and the door opens and then gets pulled back in.

http://youtu.be/p1keeJxEoPo

I hope this video helps

If I pull the handle carefully and not too far out the doors works just fine.
I'm thinking the bowden cable might be stretched out......Has anyone else experienced this Problem?
Thanks!!

Ds650quad
06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Anyone?

Bymer750
06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
The door handle needs to be adjusted. I had same thing on my door, my mechanic adjusted it and now it works fine.

king0fspades
06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
My 2006 E65 had this issue. Passengers would pull the handle and door would not close because the handle would get stuck sometimes. I had to push it back. It was not covered under CPO and dealer quoted $600 to replace. I solved the problem by being a gentleman. Open and door for them and make sure the handle is pushed in after that.

I watched your video. This is how exactly my door was. Be a gentleman and problem solved :)

alpinaman24
06-29-2012, 10:28 AM
you can try to adjust it first if something broken and cant adjust then you have to change the handle

Ds650quad
06-29-2012, 12:15 PM
king0fspades, That's exactly what I have been doing, I really only have a problem when I valet the car, those guys are fast to open up the passenger door.:)

Does someone know how to adjust the handle? I found a DIY post on how to remove the door panels and a post on removing the handle without removing the panel.

Thanks

king0fspades
06-29-2012, 01:03 PM
king0fspades, That's exactly what I have been doing, I really only have a problem when I valet the car, those guys are fast to open up the passenger door.:)

Does someone know how to adjust the handle? I found a DIY post on how to remove the door panels and a post on removing the handle without removing the panel.

Thanks

Apparently it is a common issue. Because of comfort access you don't unlock by the remote and during that time eager passengers start pulling the handle like there is no tomorrow. This is what messes up these handles and it happens on passenger side. Passengers need to be taught BMW etiquette :)

kgcousins
07-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks

I want to know the same thing...I found the window regulator info on here that I needed and showed my BMW mechanic how to retrieve the window once it was down...they were dismantling my car door! LOL! Nonetheless, I would like to know how to adjust the door handle so that I can do it myself...does anyone here know how? Thanks!
~Kharmyn

Ds650quad
03-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Update:

I just adjusted the slide lockplate that holds the handle to the door to fix this problem. I inserted a screwdriver to expand the sheet metal lockplate ( See Red Arrows ). This created more pressure and prevents the handle from moving around. This stops it from disengaging the mechanism and getting stuck.

It now works great :thumbup:

This picture is not mine. I found it here on a other thread.