PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Change

bejiita78
06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I have been pondering changing my AT fluid along with pan/filter/etc. I asked my local dealer and he advised that the reason they don't ordinarily do it is because they have seen more issues after the pan and fluid was changed. Anyone out there experience that ? I have done this on some other makes and did not see adverse effects.

'02 745LI, 93k mi

TheMilkMan
06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I've just recently had some transmission work done, and I requested a tranny fluid change while they were there. They didn't inform me of any faults, but I did have a small issue with a bolt/screw/nut or something when I first purchased my car. No pan issues or anything related though. I'm around 90k also.

gmcclintock
06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I've never heard of anyone having problem with a simple oil/filter/pan change you may come into problems when/if you do a complete flush I think that is what your SA meant to say or its what he should have said.

bejiita78
06-28-2012, 01:07 PM
@Milkman, how did the car drive after you did that ?

@mcclintock, yeah that makes since if they did a complete flush I could see potential problems with TC perhaps

Busurfer
06-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I just did this on my '08 e66 a month ago. The best way to perform the maintenance is:

1. Drain and fill the tranny, do not flush.

2. Replace the pan (with integrated filter) as well as all 21 bolts that hold the pan. The bolts are a soft metal and if you reuse them they are a source of leaks.

3. Have the Mechtronics sleeve replaced while you have the pan off, it will leak before 65k miles anyway so save the labor costs.

4. Get the ZF fluid (we used 8 liters including spillage).

The car drives like new, no thumps or hard downshifts anymore. If you search the forums you will find threads that have links to the best pricing on the parts and fluid.

bejiita78
06-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Awesome, thx Busurfer. That settles it then lads. I will post my outcome when I am finished.

P.S. May take a bit I just bought a house and I am in the process of moving/closing/etc...

Rookie2008
06-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Awesome, thx Busurfer. That settles it then lads. I will post my outcome when I am finished.

P.S. May take a bit I just bought a house and I am in the process of moving/closing/etc...

Congrats on the New HOME!:thumbup:

MOPAULY
06-30-2012, 10:33 AM
i had changed the fluid in my trans around 60k miles using the factory filter and fluid, but ultimately BMW replaced the trans under warranty anyway.