PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light came on.

dday75
06-28-2012, 05:08 PM
This is the email i got from the BMW service rep.

With the initial scan diagnostic of your 745, diagnostics showed faults 2760 and 2761 for the secondary air system, banks 1 and 2. The faults are currently present for the secondary air flow being too low/restricted. To start, we would need to remove the secondary air valves to see why they are restricted - we need two (2) hours labor time ($278.00) to do this. If they are mechanical jamming, they would need to be replaced; additional labor time and parts will be needed. If they happen to be blocked due to carbon buildup, then there is a high probability both the cylinder heads are carboned up as well; and would need to have the carbon removed - which would require removal of both cylinder heads for the repair.

***IS IT TIME TO JUST SAY GOOD BYE TO THE 7?****

cjennjr
06-28-2012, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't get rid of it. How often do your SES light come on? I've had the same problem for approx. 2 years. I don't plan to spend upwards of $4k to clean the small ports on the cylinder heads. I bought a reset tool and reset mine manually and just live with it. IT DOES NOT AFFECT CAR PERFORMANCE WHATSOEVER!

bigugly fab
06-28-2012, 07:01 PM
that is legit. i have done about a few engines this year for cylinder heads being clogged for the secondary air ports.
it is a federally mandated emissions component, and has to be rectified to pass emmisions.

no, it wont affect performance, but is something that will require the heads to be taken off if the secondary air ports are clogged. i have tried all sorts of ways to try to fix it.... including an adapter to pressurize the system with shop air after putting fuel injector decarbonizer in there...... when that set of heads was taken apart, they literally had to be drilled out the carbon was so hard.

if it were me diagnosing the car, i would component activate the secondary air pump to make sure the very break prone hoses to the valves arent broken. if they are good, activate it again with the pre o2's pulled out and feel for air there and at the tail pipe.

Rookie2008
06-28-2012, 07:50 PM
that is legit. i have done about a few engines this year for cylinder heads being clogged for the secondary air ports.
it is a federally mandated emissions component, and has to be rectified to pass emmisions.

no, it wont affect performance, but is something that will require the heads to be taken off if the secondary air ports are clogged. i have tried all sorts of ways to try to fix it.... including an adapter to pressurize the system with shop air after putting fuel injector decarbonizer in there...... when that set of heads was taken apart, they literally had to be drilled out the carbon was so hard.

if it were me diagnosing the car, i would component activate the secondary air pump to make sure the very break prone hoses to the valves arent broken. if they are good, activate it again with the pre o2's pulled out and feel for air there and at the tail pipe.

Just out of curiosity how much you charge for that service?

bigugly fab
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Rookie, I absolutely refuse to give you an answer you pose towards me. I know you will just want to pick it apart, try to call me out, say I'm an idiot, tell me my shop will fail, say I'm overcharging, tell me I'm wrong, and generally troll me.

Please, do what I have done to you. Put me on ignore and do not communicate towards me. I refuse to play your stupid games.

Rookie2008
06-28-2012, 09:59 PM
That's Fine bro!