PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that have or have had a battery tender....

e39 dave
06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I bought a 2008 550i almost two months ago. It has been a great car. I have read so many stories of how easily the car battery drains when the car is not driven for a while. I have an out of town trip coming up and my car will not be driven for about one week. I don't want to come home to a dead battery. Is it worth buying a battery tender and have it hooked to the car while I am gone?

etnav382
06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I've not driven or started my car for about 22 days before and it started up with no problem. Now, your experience may differ, so if you can have a jump for the car ready to go I say don't do it. This is also a way to see if the car has battery drain issues.

HPIA4v2
06-29-2012, 06:22 AM
I bought a 2008 550i almost two months ago. It has been a great car. I have read so many stories of how easily the car battery drains when the car is not driven for a while. I have an out of town trip coming up and my car will not be driven for about one week. I don't want to come home to a dead battery. Is it worth buying a battery tender and have it hooked to the car while I am gone?
One week is not a big deal but for insurance a batt tende ris a good choice.

jim165
06-29-2012, 07:39 AM
I just returned from a 2 week business trip to Seattle yesterday and the whole time I had my Battery Tender Jr attached to the car. Didn't want to take any chances as I needed the car all day today. I have no parasitic drain issues that I know of, but I still want to keep the AGM battery conditioned when the car isn't being used. Its good, cheap insurance and it will definitely prolong the life of your battery. It kept my OEM motorcycle battery alive from 2007 until now. Now I have to deal with some chemical film/fallout all over the car due to a hot garage and some chemicals on the shelf exploding, but that's another story....

Stigmata
06-29-2012, 07:39 AM
I've used a battery tender for three years for winter storage and topping up the battery charge when sitting idle for a few days or more. I'm going on seven years with the original battery.

luxcar
06-29-2012, 07:57 AM

If your battery is good, one week should not be an issue. I have used the tender when I went away for 4 weeks.

xDrive McGee
06-29-2012, 08:14 AM
My previous cars when we lived in NYC, would sit for weeks or months at a time. I used the battery tender for some of my more temperamental cars, but for the 5 series, never used one at all - would not classify it as temperamental in this sense at all. That isn't to say it's a great idea - but you should be OK...

Kamdog
06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
I always hook it up when I am gone for a week or more.

boramkiv
06-29-2012, 08:55 AM
I think a battery tender is really necessary for those who don't drive the car on at least a weekly basis. If you're going out of town for a while and need to secure the car, the best option is to:
Close windows then open and unlock all doors. Close the drivers door. Reach from the back of drivers seat and push down the lock on the drivers door. Push down locks on the rest of the doors, then close the rest of the doors. This will allow the vehicle to be secured, but without the alarm activated which saves a little battery juice.
I would recommend this option only if your vehicle is in a place not known for breakins or if an alarm sounding would not matter to anyone.

burnie35
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Here's a dumb question!

When using a battery tender, do you connect it to the jumper point under the hood, and do you keep the hood open? :dunno:

(Didn't know if anybody hooked it directly to the battery.)

bigugly fab
06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Always hook to jump points under the hood. Never to battery. The IBS doesn't like it. It throws faults.

Just clip it on and make sure it won't hit the hood, and close it. Or hard mount it. That's what I do with customers cars, and put a schumacher on board charger on. Just plug it in and close the hood.

boramkiv
06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I usually connect mine under the hood. It doesn't really matter as something has to be left open. It's just easier to get to the terminals under the hood. In the X5 that's pretty much the only option as the battery is under the spare, pump, and crossbar!!

Kamdog
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM
It is in my garage, so I just leave the hood up.

burnie35
06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Thankts for the responses ... told you it was a dumb question. :)

But I was curious.

e39 dave
06-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all of your responses. I might take a chance and not use the battery tender.

Campfamily
07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm away for two weeks fight now, got the battery tender hooked up. Not worth the risk of coming home to a dead battery.

Keith