PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else had code P2AAF?

burnie35
06-29-2012, 07:09 AM
I installed the AccessPORT yesterday (Stage 1 Drive, Stock Throttle) and after driving only about 1/4 mile got a strange icon on the dash ... it went away after 4 or 5 seconds.

Checked the codes using AP and found it to be P2AAF - "Fuel pump plausibility", and I cleared it.

Did a Google search and found some information on another forum (an e90 forum) that many people there were getting the same thing (back in Oct 2011). Wonder if anyone here had this code thrown?

PS
Took a 4-5 mile ride this morning, and it did not get thrown again. Hopefully, after clearing it last night, everything is okay. I don't really think there's any problem, because others having it have been running okay. But it's disconcerting to hear the bell and see it pop up ... and don't want to explain to my wife (who doesn't really want me messing with the car).

BMW535xia
06-29-2012, 07:47 AM
i would contact cobb ... they should be well aware of any known issues.

ModBargains III
06-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Just keep an eye out for the code again, and of course keep me updated if it comes up once more, but if it only came up, you cleared it and it hasn't come back again, I'd put your mind at ease for now, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep me updated though!

burnie35
06-29-2012, 09:58 AM
I had contacted Cobb via their forum last night, and he replied this morning that although it's common, that I should remove AccessPORT and wait for it to happen again, then take it to the dealer for repair of the fuel pump.

I just respnonded thus:

The car is a 2009 535i Sport.

I rode around earlier this morning 4-5 miles, and just got back from about a 20 mile trip .... no icon/bell displayed. However, when I used AccessPORT to check for codes a few minutes ago, P2AAF was back. I didn't clear it this time (maybe I should). The car runs not only fine, but great ... smooth and peppy, so I hate to remove the AccessPORT. Besides, if the icon/bell is not displayed, I wouldn't know if the code was thrown anyway ... and wouldn't be able to check because the AccessPORT would not be there. Conceivably, I could drive for a long time and never get the display again.

The car was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago, and no mention was made by them of any codes. I had complained about rought idle, so they undoubtedly checked for codes and wrote "no relevant faults found". I imagine if P2AAF had shown up, it would have been deemed "relevant".

So I'm in a quandry. I'm going on a trip (from Florida) to Massachusetts on Sunday for 2 weeks, and don't want to get stuck somewhere on I-95 ... if the fuel pump is bad, then it's bad ... but since no codes were thrown (that I know of) prior to installing AccessPORT, isn't it possible it's related to the tune (mild as it is)? I love the way the car runs with the AccessPORT installed but I suppose if it did crap out away from home, I'd have some difficulty uninstalling AccessPORT "on the road".

With the additionl information I've just detailed, do you still suggest I uninstall it? And does the uninstall take as long as the install?

I ask because sitting in my car with the doors (and windows) closed yesterday in 90 degree heat was pretty uncomfortable. Can I have the windows open?

Sorry to keep bothering you again, I really do like the AccessPORT.

I'm very pleased with Henry@Cobb's fast responses, so let's see what happens.

burnie35
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Cobb's response was:

With our tunes, we are demanding higher fuel output from the stock components and will likely exacerbate existing problems. It's entirely possible that you won't experience the code with the AccessPORT uninstalled.

My recommendation is that you uninstall the AccessPORT for your trip and try to reproduce the code with the stock ROM. As I understand it, BMW warranties were extended (at least for '07-08 cars -- not sure about '09) because of the frequent fuel pump failures.

That certainly sounds reasonable. But good may come out of this after all, because if the fuel pump is acting up under stress, it's probably on its way out anyway ... and I'd rather catch it now while under warranty.

So, I'm going to uninstall the Cobb AccessPORT for now, take my 2 week trip to New England and deal the fuel pump code (P2AAF) when I get back.

burnie35
06-29-2012, 02:00 PM
I just thought of something ... I wonder if the code refers to the High Pressure Fuel Pump or the fuel pump located in the gas tank ... probably the HPFP. Of course, after I had it replaced due to the recall, the warranty was extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

burnie35
06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Doing some poking around on Google, I found a number of other posts related the P2AAF. All are having absolutely no problems even with the code being thrown. Most seem to think it's the HIGH PRESSURE Fuel Pump, but according to the following link, it is related to the LOW PRESSURE Fuel Pump located in the gas tank:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6315768&postcount=9