PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tire advice

TheMilkMan
06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Been wanting new tires for a while, but my last repairs drained me. I'm able to look for new ones now though, and I was looking for some recommendations.

Road/Track tires are preferred.

alpinaman24
06-29-2012, 09:20 AM
whats your budget?

nexxus is a good brand for road and treadwear and its cheapER

pirelli will give you a harder ride more for grip and the track i would say

hankook is not bad eighter

we have nexxus on my moms 745

i put pirellis on my b7 i wish i put michlin but pirilli cost was 300 each and michilin was 500 so yea lol

go with nexxus if your most driving is daily work home grocery etc

king0fspades
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Continental DWS

dgoodsell
06-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Continental DWS

+1 :thumbup:

1bad540
06-29-2012, 09:45 AM
any of the name brand tires are good. depends on your budget. Falkens are a great tire for the $$ too.

rkruz
06-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I got some from Discount Tire for $213ea.
Rear tires for 750i Sport. Think they were 275 size.
Prior owner got 15K miles on same tire.
Normal tire warranty is 1/2'd since the tires cannot be rotated on the Sport as front and rear tires are a different size and they are directional tread

Maverick62
06-29-2012, 03:17 PM
i have michelin pilot primacy got 22k on them rears 275/40/19 . they got louder the last 6k miles
down to the yellow/red wear indicator tire guage . I need new rears also ????
And i don't drive aggresively

TheMilkMan
06-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Budget is of no concern(to a point), as I would prefer quality over anything else. I'll start looking into the ones ya'll suggested over the weekend.

Slick44
06-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Pirelli is the best in my opinion

Suri [TBR]
06-30-2012, 12:06 AM
If money isn't a concern, go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are quiet, smooth, and provide excellent grip in both wet and dry conditions.

If you're on a budget, go with either the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo or the Continental DWS.

Keep in mind that because the 7 is rear wheel drive and it has higher negative camber than most cars, you shouldn't expect too much life out of either of the options. The Michelin's on my Lexus lasted 72k miles whereas my previous Hankooks barely lasted 11k miles on the rears :yikes:

Seven11
06-30-2012, 01:48 AM
also look at the treadwear rating

usually the higher the rating the longer the tires will last but they are harder compound so they will not be as sticky

johndade
06-30-2012, 05:31 AM
I just ordered 2 rears conti dw for 520 installed plus a fifty dollar mail in rebate discount tire has special going on til today.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Bimmer App

thecandidate
06-30-2012, 07:32 PM
+1 :thumbup:

:thumbup:

mcwatters16
07-01-2012, 08:42 PM
The previous owner of my 740i put nexus tires on my 740i sport when I bought it. The tires looked fantastic and performed well for the first 10,000 miles. After that point, road noise started to become a problem and the car started pulling due to uneven tread wear. Yes I had all my suspension components checked out first because I thought the tires would be the least of the concerns being so new.

I then put Bridgestone Alenzas all the way around and these tires are just amazing. The road noise is next to nil, used them in snow and had fantastic traction (for a rear drive car), cornering grip is amazing, and bombing down the freeway in excess of the speed limit provides a smooth ride as you would expect in a 7er.

They are spendy...about 250 a corner plus but are excellent.

Down side is that they are asymmetrical tread patterns and can't be rotated. Expect about 35K miles from a set.

TheMilkMan
07-01-2012, 09:03 PM
The previous owner of my 740i put nexus tires on my 740i sport when I bought it. The tires looked fantastic and performed well for the first 10,000 miles. After that point, road noise started to become a problem and the car started pulling due to uneven tread wear. Yes I had all my suspension components checked out first because I thought the tires would be the least of the concerns being so new.

I then put Bridgestone Alenzas all the way around and these tires are just amazing. The road noise is next to nil, used them in snow and had fantastic traction (for a rear drive car), cornering grip is amazing, and bombing down the freeway in excess of the speed limit provides a smooth ride as you would expect in a 7er.

They are spendy...about 250 a corner plus but are excellent.

Down side is that they are asymmetrical tread patterns and can't be rotated. Expect about 35K miles from a set.

Definitely going to look into those!

mcwatters16
07-01-2012, 11:26 PM
My bad on the bridgestones...they are Turanza Serenity, not Alenzas. I had the alenzas on a different vehicle, but the Turanza Serenity are fantastic high performance all season tires.

Carboy7
07-02-2012, 12:01 AM
;6926530']If money isn't a concern, go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are quiet, smooth, and provide excellent grip in both wet and dry conditions.

If you're on a budget, go with either the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo or the Continental DWS.

Keep in mind that because the 7 is rear wheel drive and it has higher negative camber than most cars, you shouldn't expect too much life out of either of the options. The Michelin's on my Lexus lasted 72k miles whereas my previous Hankooks barely lasted 11k miles on the rears :yikes:

I would but they aren't available for 20" wheels for the 7...

So we have Continental DW for the rears coming soon :D