PDA

View Full Version : Ice Lite to Lux H8 V3

rijc99
06-29-2012, 09:05 AM
I currently have the Ice Lite H8 Led (aka BMS 4 LED) on the AE but am not happy with the performance of it in sunlight. Most people seem to be pretty happy with Lux's performance in the sun.

Does anyone have experience with both the Ice Lite/BMS 4LED and Lux? Also, does anyone have pictures of them for comparison? Either side by side or in similar conditions for an accurate comparison?

Thanks.

300zxmuro
06-30-2012, 08:47 AM
I have not but I am looking for the best product currently available. I am subscribing to your post.

Thegame6752
06-30-2012, 09:06 AM
I also have the BMS led and the inner is good but the outer sucks. I understand the whole bulb in the inner so its brighter and the outer basically gets ambient light thing but I still don't like it but what can you do other then take the light apart and risk water damage from seals or foggy headlights to install another brand. My buddy has the lux and they look way better but cost almost double when there not on back order. I should have went that route instead. I'll gladly sell these BMS to anyone interested. There only 2 weeks old.

booyaazaa
06-30-2012, 09:24 AM
I went the way of the lux and like light output, especially since it is a straight PnP with no cutting needed. There are newer 4 led 10w ae lights that are out there by BMS and Trinity AS that look good but most photos are in the shade so they should. Unmitza just posted they have 20w led AE bulbs that might be worth checking out. You do have to trim a lip in the ae housing to make them fit. The brightest will be the Orion v2 but you have to cut open your lights to install. They will look like the newer corona AE's on the BMW's now. Heres how the lux looks during the day.

rijc99
06-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Anyone have Lux H8 V3 in the Orange County area? I'm willing to meet up so we can get some pictures of how they compare to Ice Lite/BMS 4. I think there are a few of us that would change out what we have for the Lux setup if there is enough of an increase in visibility in day light.

Or, if you have Lux H8 V3, I'm willing to ship one of my Ice Lite to you so you can do a side by side pic. Why Lux hasn't done this is beyond me. I'm just worried about picking up a set of Lux just to have it be pretty much the same as what I have.

Heck, I think we should find a way to get one bulb of each type to a member who has a good quality camera for a proper side by side comparison roundup and put the results in sticky.

I've got a GP Thunder 7500K and Umnitza Ice Lite H8 if anyone wants to start this roundup.

rijc99
06-30-2012, 10:10 AM
I went the way of the lux and like light output, especially since it is a straight PnP with no cutting needed. There are newer 4 led 10w ae lights that are out there by BMS and Trinity AS that look good but most photos are in the shade so they should. Unmitza just posted they have 20w led AE bulbs that might be worth checking out. You do have to trim a lip in the ae housing to make them fit. The brightest will be the Orion v2 but you have to cut open your lights to install. They will look like the newer corona AE's on the BMW's now. Heres how the lux looks during the day.

Your lights look pretty good given the lighting but I've seen Ice Lite/BMS 4 pics where I felt they were pretty good too. Really need someone to do a side by side comparison.

The 20W bulb sounds promising but I think most of us would like more info on the modification necessary to get it done. Also, what is the increase in temperature. My understanding is too much heat will damage the fiber optic material.

300zxmuro
06-30-2012, 11:33 AM
I just got the BMS 4 LED, when it arrives I will install and post pictures. I sent the Bavauto.com angel eyes upgrade back. This were the WeissLicht v2.

booyaazaa
06-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I just got the BMS 4 LED, when it arrives I will install and post pictures. I sent the Bavauto.com angel eyes upgrade back. This were the WeissLicht v2.

The Weisslicht led's are great for license plates but are pretty weak for AE's. Definitely post some pics to see how they turn out.

booyaazaa
06-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Your lights look pretty good given the lighting but I've seen Ice Lite/BMS 4 pics where I felt they were pretty good too. Really need someone to do a side by side comparison.

The 20W bulb sounds promising but I think most of us would like more info on the modification necessary to get it done. Also, what is the increase in temperature. My understanding is too much heat will damage the fiber optic material.

I hear you on that. It was a little bit of a leap of faith when I bought my Lux and that SVC had them in stock when I was buying my matte grills. Well if Umnitza is willing to let me put one of their Ice Lite in my car for a comparison, I'd have no problem doing that since their shop is 15 min north of me. Plus it would give me a reason to look at the Mtech kit. :thumbup:

300zxmuro
06-30-2012, 11:54 AM
The Weisslicht led's are great for license plates but are pretty weak for AE's. Definitely post some pics to see how they turn out.
INDEED, i got the license plates too and are awesome...

rijc99
06-30-2012, 02:33 PM
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy211/lemontree2004/3cd55d95.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy211/lemontree2004/dd5f5a57.jpg

2:00pm. Sun is mostly overhead.

Umnitza Ice Lite H8 which I believe is aka as BMS 4 LED.

booyaazaa
06-30-2012, 06:26 PM
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy211/lemontree2004/3cd55d95.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy211/lemontree2004/dd5f5a57.jpg

2:00pm. Sun is mostly overhead.

Umnitza Ice Lite H8 which I believe is aka as BMS 4 LED.

Looks good.

umnitza
07-01-2012, 01:51 PM
The ICE lite don't look too bad there:)
Boyazaa - drop on by, we'll plop it in, no problem.

rijc99
07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Looks pretty good. Definitely better than GP 7500. But only at a specific angle. Go off axis by a couple of inched and the outer ring disappears. This goes for up down left right (as seen in the first picture with the light disappearing on the right). Also in more direct light the rings are invisible.

For the price the result is acceptable. However if Lux or your 20w will yield significantly better brighter results than I'm willing to give them a try. What tab needs to be trimmed and will it prevent stock H8 bulbs from seating in the future?

Boyazaa please put one of the ice lite H8 bulbs in and take a comparison shot of the Lux and Ice.

booyaazaa
07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Ill have to make a sat appointment for umnitza since i usually work m-f. I am interested in seeing what needs to be removed to fit the 20w lights. If they are brighter i might have to upgrade my AE lights.
Umnitza, how much are the 20w lights?

umnitza
07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Ill have to make a sat appointment for umnitza since i usually work m-f. I am interested in seeing what needs to be removed to fit the 20w lights. If they are brighter i might have to upgrade my AE lights.
Umnitza, how much are the 20w lights?

We won't be available this Saturday but maybe you can come in on July 4th morning? Or if you want, we can meet up somewhere in San Ramon? :)
We don't have a price for the lights yet, we're looking at about $139 for them.

booyaazaa
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
We won't be available this Saturday but maybe you can come in on July 4th morning? Or if you want, we can meet up somewhere in San Ramon? :)
We don't have a price for the lights yet, we're looking at about $139 for them.

Ive got to work tomorrow. How about next sat the 14th? I would like to meet there because I want to also look at front bumper options for my car.

umnitza
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
It's possible, but we'll have to communicate as it gets closer to that date.

rijc99
07-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Please take pictures of Ice Lite H8 on one side and Lux H8 on the other. And the 20W bulb one one side and the brighter of either Lux or Ice Lite on the other.

Thanks.

booyaazaa
07-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Please take pictures of Ice Lite H8 on one side and Lux H8 on the other. And the 20W bulb one one side and the brighter of either Lux or Ice Lite on the other.

Thanks.

OMG you are so demanding. Jk. We will coordinate and make it so.

rijc99
07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
OMG you are so demanding. Jk. We will coordinate and make it so.

:thumbup: Thank you I am forever in your debt. I hope this 20w bulb works out.

rijc99
07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Um. I ran out of podcasts a couple of days ago and turned to my radio. I noticed that the led ae lights seems to be interfering with the FM reception. At first I thought I was in a bad reception area but it affects all but the highest power stations plus when I shut the car off or ae drls off the station immediately comes in clear. Once the ae lights comes back on the reception goes down the tube.

Any one else notice this? And most importantly is there anything I can plug in line to get ride of the interference?

ketchupfreak
07-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Subscribed. I am in the market for AE's

booyaazaa
07-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Um. I ran out of podcasts a couple of days ago and turned to my radio. I noticed that the led ae lights seems to be interfering with the FM reception. At first I thought I was in a bad reception area but it affects all but the highest power stations plus when I shut the car off or ae drls off the station immediately comes in clear. Once the ae lights comes back on the reception goes down the tube.

Any one else notice this? And most importantly is there anything I can plug in line to get ride of the interference?

Hey rijc99 did that issue just start up for you? I heard of that issue before in the 5 series forum but no one knows of a solution for it except for switching out the AE bulbs. There must be some type of ground loop issue that is caused by the resistors in the AE's (best guess since my last electronics course was in 1987). Maybe try unplugging each side separately to see which light is the issue and get it fixed or exchanged if it is under warranty.

rijc99
07-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Hey rijc99 did that issue just start up for you? I heard of that issue before in the 5 series forum but no one knows of a solution for it except for switching out the AE bulbs. There must be some type of ground loop issue that is caused by the resistors in the AE's (best guess since my last electronics course was in 1987). Maybe try unplugging each side separately to see which light is the issue and get it fixed or exchanged if it is under warranty.

I usually listen to an iPod connected through aux so I'm not sure. I think it may always have been there because I remember one other time when I used the radio it was staticky. I didn't think anymore of it that time until now.

300zxmuro
07-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I installed the BSM 4 LED and it is way better than the WeissLichth v2. However, outside in the sun in not quite there. The inner ring is Great and wish the outer ring would light up the same. I am not sure if keep them or send it back and get the LUX H8 V3. Who can guarantee the LUX will light up all rings as they claim they will? i do not care paying the 245. I also noticed they are out of stock today.
What would you do?

booyaazaa
07-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I usually listen to an iPod connected through aux so I'm not sure. I think it may always have been there because I remember one other time when I used the radio it was staticky. I didn't think anymore of it that time until now.

When did you buy the lights? The only thing I can recommend is have them exchange them out but first see if only one or both AE lights are causing the interference. Umnitza, any input?

booyaazaa
07-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I installed the BSM 4 LED and it is way better than the WeissLichth v2. However, outside in the sun in not quite there. The inner ring is Great and wish the outer ring would light up the same. I am not sure if keep them or send it back and get the LUX H8 V3. Who can guarantee the LUX will light up all rings as they claim they will? i do not care paying the 245. I also noticed they are out of stock today.
What would you do?

The outer ring light output is due to the design of out AE and they will always appear dimmer. If you want since you are local we can meet up and you can see the lux in person for a side by side comparison.

rijc99
07-07-2012, 01:38 PM
When did you buy the lights? The only thing I can recommend is have them exchange them out but first see if only one or both AE lights are causing the interference. Umnitza, any input?

Bought them about two months ago but they've only been in the car for about a couple of weeks. I was able to verify the interference by toggling the DRL lights in the menu.

Umnitza?

rijc99
07-07-2012, 01:39 PM
What would you do?

I'm in the same position as you. LED just seems to have a very limited view angle when compared to halogen. Let me know how your meet up goes.

SunnyandRich
07-08-2012, 06:16 AM

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html

booyaazaa
07-08-2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html
He is not having interference with his iPod connection. It is a issue with weakened radio reception when his newly installed AE umnitza led lights. Also you shouldn't need that noise filter for your iPod if you are using a BMW type iPod cable, 30 pin to aux&usb connection.

300zxmuro
07-10-2012, 01:02 PM
The outer ring light output is due to the design of out AE and they will always appear dimmer. If you want since you are local we can meet up and you can see the lux in person for a side by side comparison.

Where are you located? I am in Fremont.

booyaazaa
07-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Where are you located? I am in Fremont.

I live in San Ramon but I work in San Jose so I drive by Fremont all the time. I'm always making a coffee stop at the Starbucks on warm springs next to the Denny's.

bambam45
07-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Subscribed... in the market for AE's.

Pieson32
07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Hey, where is the best spot to purchase the LUX, I'm looking for the exact ones you have. Thanks, Brad

booyaazaa
07-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Hey, where is the best spot to purchase the LUX, I'm looking for the exact ones you have. Thanks, Brad

Everyone has them for the same price, $245. I bought my pair from sv concepts, http://sv-concepts.com/index.php/5-series/e60-2004-2010/lighting/lux-h8-led-angel-eye-upgrade-version-3.html. I got it from them because they had them instock. You can also find them at Bimmian or Modbargains.

rijc99
07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Well, I give up on the Umnitza 4 led AE lights. The radio interference was bothering me too much.

I just got my Lux H8s in and am liking them more than the Umnitza's so far.

Definitely recommend spending the extra money in order to avoid the interference issue and also to get better support services. Umnitza decided to never chime in on the interference issue so interpret it however you will but I'm taking it as they are not interested in after sales support.

umnitza
07-31-2012, 11:47 AM
We've never had any of these units on the E60 have RF interference, so if you got a bad unit, we would exchange it for you.

Dmfischer
07-31-2012, 12:23 PM
I had Umnitza install Orion V2 on my 528XI and wow they are awesome:thumbup:! Definately worth the $$ so far so good! If I knew how to take good daytime photo's I would post a few, any suggestions?

7amadabmw
07-31-2012, 05:44 PM
I wonder if it's possible to just install the F series' AEs on on our E60s. Are they H8 as well?