PDA

View Full Version : Is PPG the same thing as OEM?

dontaewsu
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm on the phone with people and i'm getting bit confused in their answers.

I want the glass that was in my car originally (OEM or OE) but they are saying the glass is PPG OEM or they are the same thing and that this is the glass from the manufacturer.

Is this true or what?

sirstopher
06-29-2012, 12:23 PM
BMW glass is stamped BMW not PPG, so I would say no, it's a replacement not OEM.

dontaewsu
06-29-2012, 02:41 PM
BMW glass is stamped BMW not PPG, so I would say no, it's a replacement not OEM.

So does this glass get stamped with BMW logo? see this is where i'm confused

Apparently after talking with this lady (who doesn't sound real sure of herself).

PPG makes the glass for BMW. However i've got the glass at a nice at cost price from the dealer.

collins912
06-29-2012, 05:55 PM

I just took a look at mine. PPG is stamped right under BMW in the lower corner of the driver side.

Also a couple of months ago I had my rear side window on my Tahoe changed out by the city (free of charge) because of a rock being thrown in from a city lawn mower. I as well talked to the shop as I wanted it to be oem. I was told that all vehicle windshields/windows are PPG certified.

csmeance
06-30-2012, 02:37 PM
There is 3 types of glass that is made for cars:

1. Factory/OEM Glass - This glass is the same stuff the factory uses/used; it's stamped with the maker's names (PPG, AP Tech, etc) and then the logo for the car maker (BMW, Honda, Etc)

2. OEM Supplier Glass - This glass is the same exact thing as #1 execpt that it DOES NOT have a car maker logo (BMW, Honda, Etc). Usually this is cheaper as most cars use the same glass (such as the Acura TL and Honda Accord, Infiniti G37 and Nissan, Toyota and Lexus, etc) so one windshield fits multiple cars exactly. It's made by the BMW supplier such as Pilkington, PPG,etc.

3. Replacement Glass - This is made by other companies than what the manufacturer chose to use, and may vary in quality from exactly like OEM to better than OEM to really bad glass.

I'd honestly go with option #2 and have in the past, option #1 is great if you HAVE to keep the car as close to original or factory, or if you have money to burn and want piece of mind.

dontaewsu
06-30-2012, 02:42 PM
There is 3 types of glass that is made for cars:

1. Factory/OEM Glass - This glass is the same stuff the factory uses/used; it's stamped with the maker's names (PPG, AP Tech, etc) and then the logo for the car maker (BMW, Honda, Etc)

2. OEM Supplier Glass - This glass is the same exact thing as #1 execpt that it DOES NOT have a car maker logo (BMW, Honda, Etc). Usually this is cheaper as most cars use the same glass (such as the Acura TL and Honda Accord, Infiniti G37 and Nissan, Toyota and Lexus, etc) so one windshield fits multiple cars exactly. It's made by the BMW supplier such as Pilkington, PPG,etc.

3. Replacement Glass - This is made by other companies than what the manufacturer chose to use, and may vary in quality from exactly like OEM to better than OEM to really bad glass.

I'd honestly go with option #2 and have in the past, option #1 is great if you HAVE to keep the car as close to original or factory, or if you have money to burn and want piece of mind.

Thanks, this is why i love this forum. You guys just know your stuff. I'm going with option 1. :)