PDA

View Full Version : From a First Time BMW owner

Obiplay
06-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey guys. I just purchased a 2004 530i with 58K miles for 15900 in immaculate condition, and since then ive been trying to baby it. This is my first BMW and for far lives up to its name.
I have a few questions and thoughts id like to get out.

1. Theres a noise coming from "what seems" like the dash board/control panel/suspension(?!?) that sounds like a clunking noise when i drive over uneven roads. Took it to the LIttle garage in NY and they couldnt figure out what it was, but said it wasnt a safety concern. However driving down queens blvd today (worst road in the developed world), they noise just drove me crazy!!! anyone know what i can do??

2. Steering wheel has a little squealing/ squeaking noise at low speeds and at rest. Again dealer just sprayed some silicone or something on it and said to give it a few days. 3 days later, no changes.

3. Finally, I want to know the one essential service i can perform on my car which would give me a smoother, quieter yet more thrustful acceleration. Ive heard things ranging from engine oil, VANOS something or the other, tires ( i have non-runflats), type of gas etc. i dont mind spending 2000+ to have the engine working quieter and smoother.

All in all i love the car. WHen i got it 2 weeks ago, a 2006 525 owner said it was the cleanest 2004 e60 he'd seen.
Any answers to the above questions would be greatly appreciated. And id love to meet any fellow bimmerfest regulars in the NYC area. Thanks.

Nube1kenobi
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
This could be your answer to #1... keep digging here on the rest.

Obiplay
06-29-2012, 10:31 PM
WOw that was quick. Thank You

risaac530i
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I noticed the same thing....it sounded like a rattleing noise, as if something metal was moving around....the problem was when the sun shade was pulled back and the moonroof was closed...the noise was comming from a piece of metal hitting up against the moonroof. While driving if put your hand up and around where moonroof is near the map light, you can feel ametal plate and that has some play. This is what was making my noise over bumps on the rooad. I will try and post some pics.