PDA

View Full Version : Door leather Glue?

rkruz
06-29-2012, 09:32 PM
The leather around the top of the rear door was not attached well and when the blinds rise n they catch the loose material and go off track.

Its easy enough to glue down the leather to the metal door top and I used contact cement applying to both surfaces and allowing to dry that pressing the leather in place.

After a 1 week the material has come loose again.

Is there a recommended glue or one you have had success with that will hold up for this application?

Appreciate the tips.

Suri [TBR]
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
I used good old Loctite Super Glue and it's held up well so far. But there may be something better :D

mrbmwx5
06-30-2012, 11:33 AM
;6926458']I used good old Loctite Super Glue and it's held up well so far. But there may be something better :D:thumbup:

Or http://www.liquidnails.com/pro/index.jsp

MDuke77
06-30-2012, 01:38 PM
I had this same thing happen. I used super strength gorilla glue the second time i did it. The problem is the intense heat inside the cabin in the Texas heat will literally melt most glue. A good epoxy super glue should have a heat distortion temp of around 350F dry heat temp.

I found the gorilla glue at Advanced Auto parts and so far its held up well. Goodluck!!

rkruz
06-30-2012, 04:26 PM
something not to try

Loctite professional spray on adhesive. Supposed to survive high temp and bond metal, plastic leather etc etc.

Didnt work from the get go.

Wallace754
07-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I have the same problem. I'm thinking about trying to staple it in place. I just want to use a short staple to proven it from coming through the other side.

1bad540
07-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I had this happen under warrty, and the door card was replaced. Get a good glue and use a clamp with a towel to keep it in place while it dries.

rkruz
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
as a followup.......I had the car into BMW dealer for other reasons and had them look at the door vinyl lifting on rear doors. Its $215 for them to remove the door card, glue the vinyl down with some special glue and replace the door cards. I could purchase the glue but he thought best to have tech do it with proper tools to remove the door card. Apparently vinyl life on rear door is common problem. Even then he said it will probably come up again over time but the door cards are so expensive its not economical to replace them. Its not covered under my after market warranty and I caved and had them do it after it had failed after 2 of my attempts to glue it down.