PDA

View Full Version : How to make 08 550 a tad louder?

yahtzee
06-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Love the sound of the exhaust at startup. Read about the vacuum workaround but don't think it exists on my 550. Any other suggestions. Not looking to spend a ton of money if there is something on the lower end that I can dabble in. Thanks.

ODBmw
06-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Is this what you want? I haven't tried it yet:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606636

Arctic-Rodz
07-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Magnaflow weld on Muffler #14816
Did it on mine, great upgrade on looks and sound.

sdg1871
07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
RPI exhaust. There is no substitute

borderchris
07-01-2012, 08:46 PM
+1 on RPI- Sounds very refined but agressive. Dinan sounds great, too, if you have the coin. There are some used E60 systems on the list every now and then- I may try to snag one of those...

LRuano
08-10-2014, 08:11 PM
How happy are you still with your magnaflow?
Did you leave the rest of the exhaust intact and only replaced the muffler
What kind of sound did you get with the 14816?
Reply will be appreciated, I don't want to drop so much $$$ for rpi which I see everyone else is recommending
Thank you in advance

Arctic-Rodz
08-11-2014, 03:59 AM
How happy are you still with your magnaflow?
Did you leave the rest of the exhaust intact and only replaced the muffler
What kind of sound did you get with the 14816?
Reply will be appreciated, I don't want to drop so much $$$ for rpi which I see everyone else is recommending
Thank you in advance

I don't have this car anymore but yes I did use the Magna flow 14816.
Sound was great! Low grumble, I'd say it sounded "sport touring" where it's not annoying to daily drive and when you got on the throttle it was just aggressive enough to be noticed and gave out a very nice burble when slowing down and down shifting.

I highly recommend it. You can't beat it for the price.

And yes, the entire exhaust system remained the same, just had the muffler shop remove the OEM muffler and weld on the new magnaflow. The exhaust tips looks great poking out of the bumper.