PDA

View Full Version : bmw over heating..

ggates
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
i have an 07 7 series with under 60.000 miles. my car started to overheat< i check the fan it works, i check for leaks no leaks i check to see if fluids low, fluids were a little low so i added fluids, car got me home with no prob but when i went to start it up this morning went to the store came back and the overheating came back,wat can be the prob never had the issue can someone help,thanks.

csmeance
06-30-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd check the coolant level again! If it's at the right level, then start checking the thermostat and water pump!

DFEL750I
07-01-2012, 05:03 AM
I'd check the coolant level again! If it's at the right level, then start checking the thermostat and water pump!

+1 the thermostat should fail in the open position so I would suspect it would have the opposite effect on the car if it fails i.e preventing the car from getting to the right operating temperature. Still worth checking because you never know.

If there is no check engine light on the car I would lean towards a mechanical problem with the water pump as the source of your issue. The coolant would have to be really low for the car to start to overheat that quickly.

red1KRR
07-04-2012, 06:39 PM
So what was your out come? Was it the water pump? Please let us all know.

alpinaman24
07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
no check engine ?! highly doubt it .. whats the code ?? = fix problem

Expo BMW
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
so what was your out come? Was it the water pump? Please let us all know.

+1

mikewerks
07-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Did you check the Fan Clutch or just the electrical fan? I can tell you after owning many Mercedes having a fan clutch that locks is important. The way to check is get the car up to operating temp. Take a rolled up newspaper and try and stop the fan from spinning. If you can stop it replace the fan clutch. I just did mine today just because the car has 120,000miles on her and 140.00 for a Behr(O.E) fan clutch why take a chance. That said Im not sure if yours has a fan clutch as I just noticed yours is an 07' sorry if my info is inaccurate for your car..

red1KRR
07-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Anybody know where this is located and if it's easy to change? Could this be causing the fan to not turn on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Temperature-Switch-Sensor-Radiator-Cooling-Fan-/300521190569?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item45f87574a9&vxp=mtr

FKKM
07-22-2012, 08:14 PM
"Engine overheat" came my way the other day. I read all the messages the computer threw at me. I checked the coolant level, and added some to maximum level. The next day, on my way to work, the prompts came up again. "Pull to the side slowly, turn off engine to allow it to cool off". I was about a mile to my work place so decided to keep on driving with the hood released. The engine compartment started to steam like crazy, but kept on driving my lovely 2006 750Li to my destination, parked and turn off the engine. At this time, I heard some hissing coming out from the engine compartment, and then it happened: the hot coolant started pouring out on to the ground. I was so embarassed by the whole incident; a flat bed came and conveyed my beauty to the dealership. It has 93000 miles, but drives like a brand new 750Li. I take good care of it.
The expansion tank, and a couple of the hoses also got damaged. The service tech insinuated that the auxillary fan was not functional, and so was not able to kick in to cool the engine; the outside thermostart registered between 89-102 degrees F for a week. The remedy? a new expansion tank and hoses, a brand new auxillary fan and thermostart was used solve the problem. It has been three days now and all is well.