PDA

View Full Version : Cobb install time

burnie35
06-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Installed Cobb the other day ... ver 301 Stage 1 Drive, Stock Throttle. The full install took about 1/2 hour (includes download of OEM ECU data).

Last night I thought it would be interesting to install the Beta ver 401 of Stage 1 Drive. It was my first map reflash. The instructions said it should take about 1 minute to flash a new map, but it actually took 10 minutes! Needless to say, got a bit nervous.

Has anyone else run into that situation? Since I've never even reflashed a v301 to another v301 map before, I'm wondering if the long install time is because I was going from v301 to v401, and they had to reinstall all (or most of) the ECU data.

I had a battery tender connected during the installation/flash, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with a possible battery problem. 2009 535i Sport, 3 1/2 years old, original battery.

mbur
07-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I installed the Cobb sport v301 on my 2010 535i last month and am very happy. Haven't changed my map so I can't help with your question about the time involved. But I would be very interested in your feedback on V401 software.
Thankn

burnie35
07-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Well, I'm taking a 1,300 mile trip up north, and since I haven't had much Cobb experience to date, decided to unistall it for now (don't want to be experimenting with software when I'm out of my local area). I'll probably reinstall when I get to my son's house and fool around with it then since I'll be there for a couple of weeks.

nickp3
07-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Every time i have changed a map it takes a few minuets.

burnie35
07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
What I'm talking about is going from version 3 to version 4.

xclone
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Burnie, make sure your Cobb AP is on an updated ROM. I can say it's normal going from a v3 map to a v4 map to take longer then a minute. Nop reason to be nervous about it.

burnie35
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Burnie, make sure your Cobb AP is on an updated ROM. I can say it's normal going from a v3 map to a v4 map to take longer then a minute. Nop reason to be nervous about it.

I updated the AP firmware when I first got it ... it's v1.6.5.0-4044.

I sort of figured the flash of a version 3 to a version 4 would take longer (it took 10 minutes). But since I had not yet reflashed with a different map from version 3, I didn't have any reflash experience, and I thougtht 10 minutes was a bit much.

Since the car is 3 1/2 years old on the original battery, and the original install took about 30 minutes (instead of 20 minutes as stated in the documention), I was concerned that it was the battery that slowed things down (even though I used a battery tender).

I'll be trying again, this time reflashing a version 3 map with another version 3 map.

uwhusky
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
I came home tonight to my Cobb AP in the box. I flashed my car with a Stage 1 map. There were several installed on the Cobb, including an "Aggressive", "Sport", "Drive" and I think there were two of each for the stage 1 maps. Being anxious, I installed a Stage 1 Aggressive and all went fine. I went on a short drive and could feel the new power right away, it was definately noticable and very exciting.

I'd like to get all the new maps for my Cobb AP but it's confusing on their website picking what ECU I have (I'm assuming the ECU is the car or is the Cobb AP) and I also want to pick a good map for my 70% freeway driving and 30% residential or city driving. Not sure yet what that is but I'll stick with my current map for the time being. I don't have easy access to anything other than 91 octane, which is why I'm sticking with Stage 1 for now.

Is there a good website that describes all the N54 maps?

booyaazaa
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
:thumbup:I came home tonight to my Cobb AP in the box. I flashed my car with a Stage 1 map. There were several installed on the Cobb, including an "Aggressive", "Sport", "Drive" and I think there were two of each for the stage 1 maps. Being anxious, I installed a Stage 1 Aggressive and all went fine. I went on a short drive and could feel the new power right away, it was definately noticable and very exciting.

I'd like to get all the new maps for my Cobb AP but it's confusing on their website picking what ECU I have (I'm assuming the ECU is the car or is the Cobb AP) and I also want to pick a good map for my 70% freeway driving and 30% residential or city driving. Not sure yet what that is but I'll stick with my current map for the time being. I don't have easy access to anything other than 91 octane, which is why I'm sticking with Stage 1 for now.

Hey uwhusky, the cobb site says to run 93 octane when you are doing the stage 1 aggressive maps. I'm not sure what issues there might be but I know the higher octane might be needed for the increased boost (if thats what that map does). On a side note glad to see you got your cobb. Hopefully mine should be arriving on thurs.:thumbup:

burnie35
07-03-2012, 07:27 AM
I came home tonight to my Cobb AP in the box. I flashed my car with a Stage 1 map. There were several installed on the Cobb, including an "Aggressive", "Sport", "Drive" and I think there were two of each for the stage 1 maps. Being anxious, I installed a Stage 1 Aggressive and all went fine. I went on a short drive and could feel the new power right away, it was definately noticable and very exciting.

How long did it take to do your initial install?

Did you use a battery tender?

Did you leave the doors and windows closed (like it says in the video)?

The two maps for each stage are "stock throttle" (unlabeled in v301) and "linear".

xclone
07-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Your ECU is your "engine control unit" - essentially the computer that controls your engine. Your Cobb AP should tell you exactly what ECU you have when you first plug it in. Make sure you plug it into your computer and insure the ROM is up to date before you try new maps.

Each map adjusts the timing of the engine and the boost level. Drive is the tamest tweak with aggressive being the, well, most aggresive. if you only have access to 91 then I would highly recommend NOT using the aggressive map. The octane rating of the fuel is critical when tuning cars and while the ECU should see that your car is not running right, and override the timing adjustments, it's just not a good idea as you have nothing to gain from it (and if something went wrong, everything to lose).

There is really no website that goes over all the maps, but there is a great thread on e90 post (it's a 3 series forum but the information for the most part translates to the 5 guys as well - except for car mods). http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472813

uwhusky
07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I thought stage 1 was for 91 octane and stage 2 was for 93 octane. Apparently I'm wrong on that so I'll change maps tonight when I get home. What maps should I run then for 91 octane?
What ECU version should I have if I have the most up to date ECU version?

How long did it take to do your initial install?
About 30 minutes total time for uninstall and install.

Did you use a battery tender?
No. What is that?

Did you leave the doors and windows closed (like it says in the video)?
I didn't follow the video, I followed the small manual/pamphlet that came with it. I closed the doors but windows were open. It didn't seem to matter.

The two maps for each stage are "stock throttle" (unlabeled in v301) and "linear".
I don't quite understand.

xclone
07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
The octanes are drive (87/89), sport (91) and aggressive (93). The stage 1, 1+, 2 & 2+ are for cars that have bolt on modifications (aftermarket intakes, downpipes, intercoolers, etc). If you want to run stage 1 aggressive, then you'll need 93 octane. If you want to run stage 2 aggressive, you'll need aftermarket downpipes, an intake and 93 octane. If you want to run stage 2 sport, it would be downpipes, intake and 91 octane. Make sense?

The initial install takes a while. Each car is a little different so if yours takes a bit longer, then don't worry about it.

A battery tender is just used to keep your battery from draining during the install, as all of the cars systems are on, draining the battery, but the engine is not running to re-charge it. I have not used on but others have needed it - all depends on the age of your battery.

Keep the doors closed. Windows can be done but don't open the door when it's programming. I just left my windows down, hung the ap outside of the car and went inside while it was installing.

The two "maps" are actually throttle maps (linear & stock). A stock pedal has more power lower in the throttle.. so at 30% throttle depression, you may be getting 65% of the power (not sure of the exact #'s). A linear map is 30% depression, 30% power. It comes down to taste. I'm running stg 2+ and stock is honestly, too much for my taste. I like being able to absolutely walk away from traffic at a light but I don't want to ALWAYS do that, so linear allows me the same power when I need it. On the flip side, the car feels less aggressive. Try them both out and see what you like best.

uwhusky
07-03-2012, 10:35 AM
So if I have none of the mods you've discussed (no downpipes, intakes, etc.) what map should I be running and what will it say on the Cobb AP? I was a bit confused last night looking at the various maps but thought I recalled all stage 1 maps were for 91 octane. Apparently not. So is the best map I can currently run called a Stage 0 Sport Map?

Any idea what the latest ECU is?

booyaazaa
07-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Run stage 1 sport map. If you like how the throttle feels now leave it stock.

xclone
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Run stage 1 sport map. If you like how the throttle feels now leave it stock.

Exactly...

There is no "latest" ECU. Plug the AP into your car BEFORE you download any maps. It will then find your ECU and store the version on your AP. Then check it from the AP software and download the maps for that ECU.

uwhusky
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
OK. I think I'm getting the hang of this. I was able to figure out I have ECU I8A0S and from there could easily figure out what maps I can and can't use.

So I installed Stg1 Sport I8A0S v301 first with Linear throttle (took about 1 minute) and then decided I wanted Stock throttle instead (so that install only took another minute). The linear throttle is clearly designated while the Stock throttle isn't that I could tell so I installed the non-linear throttle and am assuming it's stock. We'll see. I haven't driven the car yet since I re-mapped it.

booyaazaa
07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Cool. Let us know how it goes.

burnie35
07-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Well this evening I reinstalled Cobb using Stage 1 Drive, Stock Throttle ... took 27 minutes for the full install.

Then I reflashed with Stage 1 Sport, Stock Throttle ... took 1 minute and 36 seconds.

Both maps were the same version (301) thus the fast reflash. So as noted in earlier posts, doing a reflash while changing major versions is much the same as the full install.

Took the car for a ride, and think I'm going to keep Stage 1 Sport loaded ... it's much quicker than Stage 1 Drive with a lot more torque (feeling) at the lower end ... I love it! :D

xclone
07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Burnie - in your AP software, allow "beta" firmware to be loaded then look for the red "beta maps" link under the ECU version page on the cobb website. Download the v401 maps - much smoother all the way around. I've been running it for 5 months with zero issues and am pushing my car alot harder then you are yours.

Also - just to clarify a point. The maps are the same for each ECU, it's just the coding has to be different in each ECU version (which is why they are all listed).

burnie35
07-04-2012, 11:52 AM
I had tried loading a v401 map as I noted above. Because it took so long to load (replacing a v301 map), that's why I started this thread. I'll try v401 when I get back down to Florida in a couple of weeks ... thanks for the info!

booyaazaa
07-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I had tried loading a v401 map as I noted above. Because it took so long to load (replacing a v301 map), that's why I started this thread. I'll try v401 when I get back down to Florida in a couple of weeks ... thanks for the info!

OK. I think I'm getting the hang of this. I was able to figure out I have ECU I8A0S and from there could easily figure out what maps I can and can't use.

So I installed Stg1 Sport I8A0S v301 first with Linear throttle (took about 1 minute) and then decided I wanted Stock throttle instead (so that install only took another minute). The linear throttle is clearly designated while the Stock throttle isn't that I could tell so I installed the non-linear throttle and am assuming it's stock. We'll see. I haven't driven the car yet since I re-mapped it.

How's the Cobb doing for you guys?

burnie35
07-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Love it so far ... Stage 1 Sport, Stock Throttle ... but I think my mileage has gone down! :D:D:D

uwhusky
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
So far very happy with it. Stage 1 Sport, Stock Throttle (just like burnie35). My wife doesn't like driving with me as much because I'm driving more like a race car driver on the freeway, on onramps, coming up the hill to our house and anywhere where I can test it out. I'm sure I'll settle down at some point but right now I can tell the difference and am enjoying the extra pulling power!

xclone
07-07-2012, 07:07 PM
You should also note Cobb recently released ATR - which is essentially tuning software for the enthusiast. Now, you can blow up your car if you don't know what you are doing but there is a great thread on e90 post with some great resources to ask for help. And, unlike most everything else for BMW's, it's free.

booyaazaa
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
We have lift off!

booyaazaa
07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Love it so far ... Stage 1 Sport, Stock Throttle ... but I think my mileage has gone down! :D:D:D

Well that will happen when you constantly mash it. :)

burnie35
07-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Really? :rofl:

booyaazaa
07-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Really? :rofl:

Hey did you ever get map v401 installed?

booyaazaa
07-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Burnie - in your AP software, allow "beta" firmware to be loaded then look for the red "beta maps" link under the ECU version page on the cobb website. Download the v401 maps - much smoother all the way around. I've been running it for 5 months with zero issues and am pushing my car alot harder then you are yours.

Also - just to clarify a point. The maps are the same for each ECU, it's just the coding has to be different in each ECU version (which is why they are all listed).

Thanks for the info xclone. I uploaded the sport v401 map today and i like it better the v301 map i was running.

burnie35
07-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Hey did you ever get map v401 installed?

I'll probably wait till I get back to Florida next week.

xclone
07-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info xclone. I uploaded the sport v401 map today and i like it better the v301 map i was running.

Sure thing.. and, if you were interested, there are a few threads on e90post.com about how to mix e85 with 91 octane to up your octane rating enough to run an aggressive map. I just played with it on mine (using a custom map) and, holy hell... :thumbup:

uwhusky
07-09-2012, 01:59 PM
In a nutshell, what's the difference between v301 and v401 maps you guys have switched to?

TEXASTECH
07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Selling my accessport for $800. located in dallas texas. PM if if you are interested.

booyaazaa
07-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Sure thing.. and, if you were interested, there are a few threads on e90post.com about how to mix e85 with 91 octane to up your octane rating enough to run an aggressive map. I just played with it on mine (using a custom map) and, holy hell... :thumbup:

Nice. I have a gas station that I drive by everyday on the way to work and they dole out 100 octane at the pump. :yikes: Do you think that this is a better way to go or time to break out the chemistry set and mix some lightning.

xclone
07-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Nice. I have a gas station that I drive by everyday on the way to work and they dole out 100 octane at the pump. :yikes: Do you think that this is a better way to go or time to break out the chemistry set and mix some lightning.

Depends on the cost of the 100 octane and your willpower to keep a constant eye on the mix. The E85 here is 3.15 a gallon so its a no brainer for me. If you were planning a big day (track day) or just wanted a little zoom zoom for a week or two, i'd say go for it.

booyaazaa
07-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Depends on the cost of the 100 octane and your willpower to keep a constant eye on the mix. The E85 here is 3.15 a gallon so its a no brainer for me. If you were planning a big day (track day) or just wanted a little zoom zoom for a week or two, i'd say go for it.

Hey xclone, I decided to check out the gas station that lists it has 100 octane at the pump. When I got there I found that there was not only 100 octane on tap but a whole buffet of choices. 333500

Needless to say no need for calculations for mixing octanes. :)

Oceans10
07-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Guys,

E85 is 85% ethanol and is between 105-110 octane depending on various factors like the season and production source. Higher octane means less detonation at higher boost levels, so it is safer to use for highly boosted turbo cars. It also burns cooler, so overall is safer and better for the engine. The downside is that ethanol is very corrosive and might affect various seals and plumbing. So far nobody has reported any complications and it seems that mixing 30-40% is quite safe. Some are on 50%. BMW warn against higher than 15% ethanol content, but they are pretty conservative.
Another thing to be aware of is that it burns faster, so your gas mileage will suffer slightly. Since it is cheaper than regular gas you probably come out even on $ per mile.

Mixing 1/3 E85 to 2/3 93 produces a 98-100 octane mix. A tuned 535 motor just loooooves that. It runs smoother and stronger, happy happy car.
Overall ethanol percentage of this mix is around 30%, probably fairly safe for long term use. Some people have voiced concerns over the HPFP, but it is covered anyway under extended warranty, 10 years/120k miles. I think if there were ill effects of higher concentration of ethanol someone would have had failures by now and warned the community.

hp jnkey
07-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Guys,

E85 is 85% ethanol and is between 105-110 octane depending on various factors like the season and production source. Higher octane means less detonation at higher boost levels, so it is safer to use for highly boosted turbo cars. It also burns cooler, so overall is safer and better for the engine. The downside is that ethanol is very corrosive and might affect various seals and plumbing. So far nobody has reported any complications and it seems that mixing 30-40% is quite safe. Some are on 50%. BMW warn against higher than 15% ethanol content, but they are pretty conservative.
Another thing to be aware of is that it burns faster, so your gas mileage will suffer slightly. Since it is cheaper than regular gas you probably come out even on $ per mile.

Mixing 1/3 E85 to 2/3 93 produces a 98-100 octane mix. A tuned 535 motor just loooooves that. It runs smoother and stronger, happy happy car.
Overall ethanol percentage of this mix is around 30%, probably fairly safe for long term use. Some people have voiced concerns over the HPFP, but it is covered anyway under extended warranty, 10 years/120k miles. I think if there were ill effects of higher concentration of ethanol someone would have had failures by now and warned the community.

Oceans
I'm currently using Cobb Stage 1 91 in my 535 but I just bought a JB4 so I can start occationally using E85. I love the Cobb but we only have 91 octane in Socal and Cobb doesn't have any maps for running E85. According to BMS, Map 5 will auto adjust depending on the octane of the fuel and is the map to use with E85. Terry said to run a 50-50 mix but I think I'll try pumping 5 gallons in with a fill of 91. My only mod is a DCI with the Cobb.
Sounds like you are using E85 now, how do you like it?
Is it worth running E85?
Should I run on Map 5 all the time or just with E85?
Wanna take it to the local 1/8th mile track to see what the difference will be with E85.
Drop me a line please.
Thanks

Oceans10
07-20-2012, 07:28 AM
I suggest running 40% E85, set JB4 to Map 5. Do some hard pulls to redline in third gear so JB4 adapts initially. 4-5 pulls should do it.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised, though I don't want to start another tuner war in this forum.
Also make sure you have the latest firmware, 6/23. This requires the data cable for JB4 which I highly recommend since BMS is constantly pumping out new enhancements and features. Mine is routed through the glove box for easy connectivity to laptop. Do this in one install so you don't have to strip the cowl down twice.

Excellent that you already have DCI, those will add another 10-15 hp north of 4,000 rpms. It all adds up.
I am using a bunch of hijack options for my gauges, PM me if you want to discuss further.

burnie35
07-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Back from my trip up North, and finally installed Cobb Stage1 Sport v401.

Had an engine light for a while, but now it's gone ... these N54's are powerful mutha's when they're tuned! Love it!

NoQuarter
07-20-2012, 02:25 PM
I have uninstalled all my gear and put it back in recently and in the process brought in a 50/50 mix of E85 and 93octane.

I normally run a procede with water/meth injection and before I turned on the meth again, I tried an E85 map (with no meth) and it feels like when I was previously running meth!

I agree on the no tuner wars here! Lets prove we can have a fun conversation with three tunes here and stay focused on the E85 part of the message :)

booyaazaa
07-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Guys,

Hey Oceans,

I like the Cobb but it looks you guys with the jb4 and procede have a little more fun with the different fuels. The guy at Cobb I've been talking too said they dont have a map the really supports e85. I might have to stick with the 94octane juice. At least I'm not stuck with just the 91 crap only.

ModBargains III
07-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Back from my trip up North, and finally installed Cobb Stage1 Sport v401.

Had an engine light for a while, but now it's gone ... these N54's are powerful mutha's when they're tuned! Love it!

Yes, they certainly are powerful aren't they? Good stuff!

crypto
07-21-2012, 04:14 AM
A few things I've noticed and a question (if anyone knows).

I just got my Cobb AP yesterday and flashed my ECU earlier today. I went with Stage 1 Aggressive (93). There seemed to be a few choices for each map on mine.. for example a Stage 1 Aggressive that referenced 93 octane and then a Stage 1 Aggressive that mentioned "primium gasoline" <- note that it doesn't say "premium." I found that a bit weird. I figured this mean 91+ but I see people saying Sport = 91 .. so not sure.

To download my ECU onto the device it only took maybe 5-6 minutes. However, to put the new map on, it took maybe 12 minutes or so.. about double the time. I've not tried to reflash. Fortunately I read advice online about how the dash board will light up and not to open the doors during the install. All went well and the car feels pretty bad ass but I am not pushing it too ridiculous hard yet. I fiddled with the Cobb Monitoring of the boost and seems on the highway I peaked at 16.5 PSI for one of my acceleration bouts. Not bad if the stock normally does ~7PSI?

My main question if anyone knows:

I see others mentioning their ECU came up as I8A0S. However, mine came up as IJEOS. I couldn't find a clear mapping to know if this is good, bad, or just what it is.. any ideas? Is it just based on your year (2010) or specific model n54 with xDrive/AWD is IJEOS? Obviously the maps worked but I really didn't have any idea what IJEOS was in terms of validating that it was correct.. and still don't really.. other than assuming something would go wrong/not work if this was not the case.

burnie35
07-21-2012, 09:41 AM
The ECU ROM version that I have is also IJE0S (2009 535i Sport).

It's interesting that when installing the Cobb AccessPort, the question "verify that identified vehicle is correct" seems a bit out of place, since without the AccessPort's help, I wouldn't know what version the ECU ROM is anyway.

booyaazaa
07-21-2012, 10:05 AM
A few things I've noticed and a question (if anyone knows).

I just got my Cobb AP yesterday and flashed my ECU earlier today. I went with Stage 1 Aggressive (93). There seemed to be a few choices for each map on mine.. for example a Stage 1 Aggressive that referenced 93 octane and then a Stage 1 Aggressive that mentioned "primium gasoline" <- note that it doesn't say "premium." I found that a bit weird. I figured this mean 91+ but I see people saying Sport = 91 .. so not sure.

To download my ECU onto the device it only took maybe 5-6 minutes. However, to put the new map on, it took maybe 12 minutes or so.. about double the time. I've not tried to reflash. Fortunately I read advice online about how the dash board will light up and not to open the doors during the install. All went well and the car feels pretty bad ass but I am not pushing it too ridiculous hard yet. I fiddled with the Cobb Monitoring of the boost and seems on the highway I peaked at 16.5 PSI for one of my acceleration bouts. Not bad if the stock normally does ~7PSI?

My main question if anyone knows:

I see others mentioning their ECU came up as I8A0S. However, mine came up as IJEOS. I couldn't find a clear mapping to know if this is good, bad, or just what it is.. any ideas? Is it just based on your year (2010) or specific model n54 with xDrive/AWD is IJEOS? Obviously the maps worked but I really didn't have any idea what IJEOS was in terms of validating that it was correct.. and still don't really.. other than assuming something would go wrong/not work if this was not the case.

The stage 1 aggressive maps require 93+ octane gas and sport maps require 91+ octane. I would do map change to sport map if you are running 91 where you are at. The whole ecu thing is what ever the ap tells you when it is installing for the first time. It is to tell you what ecu you have so you can download updated maps from Cobb, install the ap manager on a pc to facilitate. It's normal for your dashboard to light up, noises under the rear seats (fuel pumps), and exhaust valve opening and shutting to occur during the installing and reflashing process. It is definitely a fun improvement with the tune. You can also try out the linear throttle feel which I prefer in sport or aggressive maps due it's much smoother in power delivery, IMO. Have fun.

booyaazaa
07-24-2012, 10:51 PM

Hey xclone Im running stg 1 aggressive map now that I've been feeding the beast 94 octane which it loves. I was wondering what mixture of e85 are you running on your car. I know you are running a much more modded car then I am but I'm looking to see where I should start with the e85 mixing to boost the ACN91 to 93/94. This would be a easier way, not to mention easier on my wallet, for me to boost the octane since e85 is easier to find in Cali then 93+ octane at the pump.

xclone
07-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Hey xclone Im running stg 1 aggressive map now that I've been feeding the beast 94 octane which it loves. I was wondering what mixture of e85 are you running on your car. I know you are running a much more modded car then I am but I'm looking to see where I should start with the e85 mixing to boost the ACN91 to 93/94. This would be a easier way, not to mention easier on my wallet, for me to boost the octane since e85 is easier to find in Cali then 93+ octane at the pump.

The short answer is 3 gallons of e85 then fill with 93. I don;t have the octane calculations handy but they are easy to google.

It's important to note I am running a custom map on my Cobb now (so I am on a stg 2+ platform running a customized boost map) which is giving me a different set of needs & results.

booyaazaa
07-28-2012, 07:35 AM
The short answer is 3 gallons of e85 then fill with 93. I don;t have the octane calculations handy but they are easy to google.

It's important to note I am running a custom map on my Cobb now (so I am on a stg 2+ platform running a customized boost map) which is giving me a different set of needs & results.

Did you use ATR or did you send cobb a data log for your custom map? I

cordoor
07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I installed Cobb today in my stock 2008 535xi auto. I installed v301 stage 1 sport stock throttle. I feel like the car pulls smoother but I don't feel like there is a dramatic improvement in overall power. I am in Utah at 4500 feet with 91 octane.

I tried a few 0-60. The first, I was not aggressive at all and Cobb told me 6.8. The second, I was slightly more aggressive with DTC all the way off and 1800 RPM before launching. That got me 6.4. I think I might suck at 0-60. Or maybe high altitude. I'm afraid to do more than 1800 RPM before launch because it seems hard on breaks and tranny. But I was disappointed nonetheless. I have not tried 0-60 on stock stage 0 yet to compare.

I want to try stage 1 aggressive. I can't find 93/94 octane here in Utah. But there is 100 octane in south Provo. Will that work for me?

xclone
07-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Did you use ATR or did you send cobb a data log for your custom map? I

I used ATR. There's some great tuning information on e90post about ATR. As always, a disclaimer - you can do really bad things with ATR if you aren't familiar with tuning so tune at your own risk.

ModBargains III
07-31-2012, 09:08 AM
I installed Cobb today in my stock 2008 535xi auto. I installed v301 stage 1 sport stock throttle. I feel like the car pulls smoother but I don't feel like there is a dramatic improvement in overall power. I am in Utah at 4500 feet with 91 octane.

I tried a few 0-60. The first, I was not aggressive at all and Cobb told me 6.8. The second, I was slightly more aggressive with DTC all the way off and 1800 RPM before launching. That got me 6.4. I think I might suck at 0-60. Or maybe high altitude. I'm afraid to do more than 1800 RPM before launch because it seems hard on breaks and tranny. But I was disappointed nonetheless. I have not tried 0-60 on stock stage 0 yet to compare.

I want to try stage 1 aggressive. I can't find 93/94 octane here in Utah. But there is 100 octane in south Provo. Will that work for me?

The guys over here running stage 2 are in the low 4's, so given that you have a larger car, a 535, and that you're running stage 1, I would say you should easily be able to get into the 5's at least, but of course I'm not sure how hard you want to push the xi given it's AWD. it's certainly a great start though! :thumbup:

Oceans10
07-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Xdrive is actually better for 0-60 launch due to the improved AWD traction. If you don't know how to launch, your times will suffer horribly. A couple of seconds go by in a hurry!
Official 0-60 times for 535 are 5.6 secs for RWD and 5.5 for AWD, but IMHO such numbers are silly as it all comes down to driving skills. You can easily lose a second or more with slight wheel spin for example. Other factors are tires, surface, temperature, humidity, elevation......
I think for our cars the 60-130 mph times are more revealing. The 535 is too large and heavy to ever do well launching from stand still. A tip for doing this well is to put in 2nd gear and brakeboost to 3,000 rpms with traction control off. Then let the tires hook before giving more gas. No shifting should occur as you hit 60 mph in 2nd. 0-100 you would end up in 3rd gear.

uwhusky
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
cordoor - you can get 100 octane at the pump in Taylorsville also. Just mix the 91 with the 100 if you want to average out to 93+ in whatever ratio you want. I simply go with a 50/50 split to keep things simple.

cordoor
07-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Still on the stage 1 sport 91 octane stock throttle, I went and did the Squaw Peak hill climb here in Utah County (it's about 1900 feet elevation gain over 4 1/2 miles: http://bit.ly/OzNFLv). I do feel a difference above 3K RPM. I don't feel much difference below 3K RPM. This is somewhat of a disappointment since I was hoping to feel at least a marginal improvement in low end torque, which is what you feel mostly during daily driving.

I found the attached chart that shows mix ratios of 91 and 100 to get whatever octane you want in between. I'm low on gas, so today I think I'll first use some seafoam to try and clean out the engine a bit, and then do a 93/94 octane mix and switch to stage 1 aggressive 93 octane map, then give the hill climb a try again.

-Corey

CleanE60
07-31-2012, 12:21 PM
where r u guys from? why can't you find 93? also i only run shell vpower, are there stats on the stage 1 sport vs the stage 1 aggressive map.

i own a 2010 e60 under the original warranty. the car is stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Bimmer App

CleanE60
07-31-2012, 01:15 PM
damn phone app. i didnt see the graph above

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Bimmer App

burnie35
07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm running Stage 1 Sport, Stock Throttle, but using 93 octane and notice a big difference even over Stage 1 Drive. Of course, I'm in Florida where the highest elevation is probably 30 feet.:)

booyaazaa
07-31-2012, 04:57 PM
I used ATR. There's some great tuning information on e90post about ATR. As always, a disclaimer - you can do really bad things with ATR if you aren't familiar with tuning so tune at your own risk.

Ah. I think im going to run a tank with 4 gal of e85 and 14.5 91 and the do a data log to make sure im not running lean. I dont know if i want to put down the cash yet for the atr, at least till i start looking at dp and ic upgraded.

xclone
07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Ah. I think im going to run a tank with 4 gal of e85 and 14.5 91 and the do a data log to make sure im not running lean. I dont know if i want to put down the cash yet for the atr, at least till i start looking at dp and ic upgraded.

ATR is free my friend. :)

http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-AccessTUNER-Race-p/atr-bmw.htm

booyaazaa
08-01-2012, 08:48 AM
ATR is free my friend. :)

http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-AccessTUNER-Race-p/atr-bmw.htm

Nice. Thanks for the link. When i looked on their website i thought it said it cost $2-3k. Beta free is nice. Now i just have to make sure i dont blowup my engine. :)

uwhusky
08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I mixed up some 96 octane last night (10 gal of 100 + 8 gal of 91) and installed Stg1 Aggressive V401 Stock Throttle. There seems to be a difference although not HUGE over the Sport map (but I've only driven it once since the change). I'll update my observations on this change after I've driven it more.

It's a bit expensive going this route. The 100 octane cost $9.50/gallon.

cordoor
08-02-2012, 10:01 AM
I mixed up some 96 octane last night (10 gal of 100 + 8 gal of 91) and installed Stg1 Aggressive V401 Stock Throttle.

I went ahead and installed Stg1 Aggressive V401 Stock Throttle yesterday evening and still using 91 octane. I'm at 4,200 feet in Utah, so I figured I would give it a try because the risk of knocking is reduced at this altitude. I have not heard any indication of knocking through about 1/4 tank of fuel so far. It's hard to tell for sure, though.

So I've been trying to figure out data logging. Mostly, I'm trying to figure out where to go to do a WOT in 2nd and 3rd gears without risk of getting pulled over or being unsafe.

Generally, the power delivery seems a bit earlier and a bit more. But there are hiccups in the power delivery when flooring it and hitting around 4K RPM. I suspect my plugs and/or coils made need to be replaced. The car has 72K miles on it and I do not know when they are last changed. Or it could be an over boost problem so the car backs off briefly.

Note that I had these same problems with Stg1 Sport V401 Stock Throttle. So I need to find a road somewhere to get data logged so I can see for sure what is going on.

-Corey

cordoor
08-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh wait, you're in Salt Lake. Funny I would mention I'm at 4,200 feet in Utah when you're already up here :-)

A co-worker here at the office said this is a good stretch of road to open it up: http://bit.ly/M6dEwH

He needs to do a few runs with his car (highly modified WRX) so I'll go over there later this evening and log some data.

-Corey

cordoor
08-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Actually, this is quite funny and coincidental. I just noticed you're also a Husky. I grew up in Bellevue, WA. Transplanted here to Utah about 15 years ago. I've missed the green and water ever since.

uwhusky
08-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey Cordoor, just PM'd you.