PDA

View Full Version : Bra or not?

Xena
07-01-2012, 12:16 PM
I have had my 530i for about 4 months now. No matter what I do to stay away from trucks I am tired of getting rocks pelted at me and I am getting really pissed at the chips to my front end. I am considering a bra for the front. Any recommendations? I sure don't want to put 1 on if it's going to have a negative impact on my paint. But I also don't want to have a meltdown at the next truck that does it.

NoQuarter
07-01-2012, 12:31 PM
How about the clear bras? 3M product I think. Never used one but would do that before some strap on bra.

Xena
07-01-2012, 12:59 PM
That's what I was trying to decide. There are clear ones but I'm sort of skeptical about whether not they're going to yellow. The black ones well frankly I used to laugh at people with them. Now I'm going to have to do something because I am not going to tolerate 1 more chip.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

gcvt
07-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Everyone I know with clear bras seems to like them. Never seen one go yellow yet. Not sure what brand they have though - I'm sure some are better than others.

TangoRed
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
That's what I was trying to decide. There are clear ones but I'm sort of skeptical about whether not they're going to yellow. The black ones well frankly I used to laugh at people with them. Now I'm going to have to do something because I am not going to tolerate 1 more chip.

I used to laugh at those too. I had a clear bra on an E46 330i that I used to own. It didn't yellow, but it definitely became more hazy as time goes on. The line where the clear bra ended became very apparent about 2 years after installation.

NoQuarter
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
rock chips are ugly. Strap on bras are even uglier. Protecting the paint that you can't see by covering it with something even worse never made any sense to me.

Seasonal touch up paint and compound/polish does the trick for me.

Neubs1
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I have had a 3M clear bra since new and I'm at 86,000 miles. No yellowing. I will do this again on any new car.

As much of my driving is at typical Interstate speeds, I'm glad to have had this protection. I wish my windshield looked so good.

My 535i is titanium silver and that's a good color for a clear bra - I barely see the back edge approx 14" from the front of my hood. I would think that a darker color might show a more-pronouned edge.

Cheers,
Neubs

Xena
07-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks Neubs. Mine is the same color so I will checkout the 3M. Don't even get me started about my windshield as it is going into the glass man tomorrow due to a footlong crack it developed from a chip last week.

booyaazaa
07-01-2012, 04:21 PM
The 3m PPF is definitely a good clear bra to go with. I have one on my AW 535i and it has saved me from many paint chips and bug splatter damage. As long as you use a sealer or wax that does not have any dye's you should not have any yellowing of the bra. Also keeping it sealed will help prevent road contaminants from doing damage to the clear bra. Make sure that you go to a shop that knows what they are doing and ask to see vehicles that they have installed a bra on to get an idea of their workmanship. I went to a place called Premier Protective Films in Fremont, CA. They are pricey compared to many other shops but they did a great job of installing a full custom front bra on my car. There are no seams on the entire front except for around the head lights.

TRS550
07-01-2012, 06:02 PM
This thread is not what I had hoped it was about. :(

TLO03
07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Clear bra is the way to go, but my installer will not install on white cars b/c it will yellow.. and he owns a aw 335 no clear bra..

booyaazaa
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Clear bra is the way to go, but my installer will not install on white cars b/c it will yellow.. and he owns a aw 335 no clear bra..

The newer 3m ppf are good at not yellowing but if it is not properly maintained it wont matter how good the film is.

TLO03
07-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I didn't realized a aw chimed in , i'll have my friend look into it.

Xena
07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Sorry trss550. Its about chips and not t*ts.

Hugs.

booyaazaa
07-02-2012, 07:54 AM
This thread is not what I had hoped it was about. :(

That's funny.

terrystu
07-02-2012, 08:18 AM
I think a clear bra would look great under a see-through blouse.

Xena
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Okay boys. I can see that this thread is degenerating fast. I actually think a black bra is better under a see through blouse. Leaves more for the imagination!

booyaazaa
07-02-2012, 08:35 AM
okay boys. I can see that this thread is degenerating fast. I actually think a black bra is better under a see through blouse. Leaves more for the imagination!

Sent from my droid bionic using bimmer app

+1

terrystu
07-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Okay boys. I can see that this thread is degenerating fast. I actually think a black bra is better under a see through blouse. Leaves more for the imagination!

Women drivers! :rofl:

booyaazaa
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I didn't realized a aw chimed in , i'll have my friend look into it.

Okay back to business. From the research I did before getting the 3m PPF, using a wax with dyes or carnuba wax or using an abrasive type compound are big causes of the yellowing. I am a little extreme in that i seal the PPF once every other month just to keep it sealed and smooth. It also helps with making all the road crap and especially dead bugs wash off with ease. If you do get one do a full and not a half. My buddy did a half on his cayenne gts and you can really see a line across the hood. :thumbdwn:

Sorry about going off topic but did you install those M5 side mirrors yourself? They look awesome.