PDA

View Full Version : Considering some simple mods...

CleanE60
07-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I am new to the Bimmer world but i am in love with my car and its potential. My car is a 2010 535i xdrive.

it has 43k on it and all of the original maintenance and warranty coverage to 2016 or 100k. I don't plan on doing anything crazy so there is no need for me to consider upgrading turbo's/running meth but I would like to know you opinion on this setup and the longevity of it with normal Bimmer abuse/TLC! :)

BMS Dual Cone Intake
AFE Silver Bullet Throttle Body Spacer
COBB BMW AccessPORT( I was going to use their stage 1 map)

With this being said and know I won't consider any further upgrades(maybe a downpipe...) and I will drive my car moderately hard and plan to bring it to the dealer to keep it maintained; should I run into issues or nightmares with components? After researching information on multiple sites it appears that the cobb is very easy to use and easily removable before going back to the dealer... I have came to somewhat of a solid conclusion. will my car throw endless codes? what type of ramification should I be concerned of after these upgrades?

thanks for your time!

Arctic-Rodz
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
those are good mods, especially since its relatively "do-able" to return to stock if you wish.

mermar
07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I assume you will remove the DCI before going to the dealer - it is obviously a very visible mod that they wont like.

Im getting ready to mod my 09 535 - deciding bewtween CObb and Vishnu tunes. Not sold on the DCI. Wish there was something to give the car a bit more of a performance exhaust note - but no droning, and other noise in the cabin.

booyaazaa
07-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I assume you will remove the DCI before going to the dealer - it is obviously a very visible mod that they wont like.

Im getting ready to mod my 09 535 - deciding bewtween CObb and Vishnu tunes. Not sold on the DCI. Wish there was something to give the car a bit more of a performance exhaust note - but no droning, and other noise in the cabin.
I agree with you on the DCI. IMO the factory intake is well designed for our car. The only thing i did was add a rpi scoop to direct air into the intake opening. The cobb is the route I'm taking since it is pretty easy to use and you dont need to take take cabin filter apart to install/uninstall. Look into a Remus exhaust. My brother recommended it since he had one on his e39 and he said it was just a tad louder then stock in the cabin but sounded nice outside.

ModBargains III
07-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I've copied and pasted a response from someone who has COBB in another thread. Here's the link for reference, what he said of course, and my response to it as it really does pertain to you as well on the tune:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630656

install/ removal: cobb
customer service : Cobb
ease of use: procede (map switching etc)
features (gauge hijacking): procede
logging : cobb
power/drivability: procede ( this is really true for 535'S)
updates/self tunning: cobb
resale: im not sure what the proceed v5 gose for, and that vin lock think Shiv dose but, used cobs go for like $600 +

These are just my observations after owning them both and watching what the 335 guys are doing. and personally i sold my proceed still have cobb and jb4. So id say cobb. but look and see whats more important to you.

That's a good un-biased way to do it. The truth is, the 5 employee's here who have a 335i or 135i, all have COBB, unfortunately I'm not one of them, but I've had the pleasure of driving them around and I've had the ability to play around with the interface. Install is a breeze as mentioned above, installing and uninstalling takes 15 minutes. I would stretch to say that COBB might have a good point to add in about drive-ability as well as they have different throttle mappings for your comfort level if you want a smooth and linear power output, or something more aggresive.

With that said, just check out the ease of use, it's insane how easy this thing is to use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXMHBSZc3JY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMbC7mcCcQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQZZ0JnlEc

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Products/Cobb%20AccessPORT/Cobb-AccessPORT-135i-335i-535i-Dyno.jpg (http://www.modbargains.com/Cobb-AccessPORT-ECU-Flash-BMW-N54-135i-335i-535i-AP-BMW-001.htm)

More info can be found below:
*Cobb AccessPORT ECU Flash Tuner BMW N54 (135i/335i/535i/1M/Z4) (http://www.modbargains.com/Cobb-AccessPORT-ECU-Flash-BMW-N54-135i-335i-535i-AP-BMW-001.htm)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! :thumbup:

CleanE60
07-02-2012, 05:59 PM

So this is also news to me, the dealer won't like the intake along with the Throttle body spacer. is it even worth getting both or just doing the cobb?

I guess I'm trying to weight the most convenient options...

Thanks gents.

booyaazaa
07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
So this is also news to me, the dealer won't like the intake along with the Throttle body spacer. is it even worth getting both or just doing the cobb?

I guess I'm trying to weight the most convenient options...

Thanks gents.

I just ordered my Cobb through Jurrian at Modbargains, thanks again for your help Jurrian, and I don't plan on doing any other engine mods until the warranty is over:angel:. I can let you know how the car drives with just a Cobb which I am expecting to still be pretty fun.

CleanE60
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
so it looks like I will be leaning towards the cobb only!

the throttle body spacer doesn't provide enough of a performance increase and the work to put it on and off; it would be more of a hassle than its worth.

damn just a factory airbox (it must be designed well). Dinan doesn't even offer any overpriced ****!

Keep me posted on your car, hopefully you have some good results.

CleanE60
09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
I just ordered my Cobb through Jurrian at Modbargains, thanks again for your help Jurrian, and I don't plan on doing any other engine mods until the warranty is over:angel:. I can let you know how the car drives with just a Cobb which I am expecting to still be pretty fun.

Did you ever install this Boooyaazaa

booyaazaa
09-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Did you ever install this Boooyaazaa

Yep. I've had it installed for the past 2+ months. It has definitely improved the power output of the engine. Depending on what octane of gas or e85 availability you have you can run he aggressive map which really makes the engine lively. In the end it is money well spent and it's easy to use. :thumbup:

CleanE60
09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
outstanding that's what I like to hear

Bandem
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
All the breathing mods you are doing, don't actually make the car accelerate harder, it just tries to keep your torque closer to peak for further up the RPM range. You'll get slightly better 0-60 and 1/4mile times, but you'll never feel a harder *back to your seat* effect with these mods.

If you want real gains and something that makes your back hit the seat harder (aka fun), add boost to that turbo. I can't garentee reliability, but if you take it to dinan and get a stage 1 or stage 2 turbo boost...

It will put a smile on your face, that you'll never be able to get rid of.

Infact, a stage 2 Dinan 535ix will accelerate harder at torque peak than an E60 M5 ever will and so therefore, you will get a much better push into your seat (due to gearing and weight). An M5 will still demolish you in a drag race easily, but won't give you nearly as big of a push effect. And IMO, for me...what makes a fast car a fun car, is that effect.

However, if you're look just for better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, then breathing mods may very well help.

booyaazaa
09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
All the breathing mods you are doing, don't actually make the car accelerate harder, it just tries to keep your torque closer to peak for further up the RPM range. You'll get slightly better 0-60 and 1/4mile times, but you'll never feel a harder *back to your seat* effect with these mods.

If you want real gains and something that makes your back hit the seat harder (aka fun), add boost to that turbo. I can't garentee reliability, but if you take it to dinan and get a stage 1 or stage 2 turbo boost...

It will put a smile on your face, that you'll never be able to get rid of.

Infact, a stage 2 Dinan 535ix will accelerate harder at torque peak than an E60 M5 ever will and so therefore, you will get a much better push into your seat (due to gearing and weight). An M5 will still demolish you in a drag race easily, but won't give you nearly as big of a push effect. And IMO, for me...what makes a fast car a fun car, is that effect.

However, if you're look just for better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, then breathing mods may very well help.

Dinan does have some great tunes however IMO the best bang for buc either a Cobb AP or JB4 tune. I think he is looking at tunes but ones that are easy to install/uninstall.

CleanE60
09-18-2012, 02:03 PM
dinan is bigg bucks. how bout 2 Gt40 r's and a custom kit.... i know what do if i had tens of thousands to play with but i dont. thanks for the knowledge

MIA530i
09-18-2012, 05:24 PM

So cobb over vishnu??? I have some friends that swear by vishnu, but then again they want me to change plugs clean vanos etc.....

Cobb seems a lot easier to put back to stock for those dealer visits

booyaazaa
09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
So cobb over vishnu??? I have some friends that swear by vishnu, but then again they want me to change plugs clean vanos etc.....

Cobb seems a lot easier to put back to stock for those dealer visits

The Vishnu is a pretty good tune. However it is a piggy-back system like the jb4 so depending on the service you're having done you'd have to uninstall the unit to ensure nondiscovery. I am going to look into a Vishnu or a jb4 but after the warranty period of my car. For now the Cobb is the most convenient option.
Ideally giving your car a tuneup before you install a tune would be good. Putting any tune in a car doesn't messup a car it just points out the weak points since it puts the engine under more stress. So far my Cobb tune has been running great and have not had any errors or issues. Currently I have about 38k on the ticker and I'll be due for a tune up soon. :thumbup:

MIA530i
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
The Vishnu is a pretty good tune. However it is a piggy-back system like the jb4 so depending on the service you're having done you'd have to uninstall the unit to ensure nondiscovery. I am going to look into a Vishnu or a jb4 but after the warranty period of my car. For now the Cobb is the most convenient option.
Ideally giving your car a tuneup before you install a tune would be good. Putting any tune in a car doesn't messup a car it just points out the weak points since it puts the engine under more stress. So far my Cobb tune has been running great and have not had any errors or issues. Currently I have about 38k on the ticker and I'll be due for a tune up soon. :thumbup:

Yeah didn't think about the install or uninstalling part. Pretty sure in case of a breakdown how much time would I have to remove the that part.

So the Cobb is basically a plug and play system.

My car has 29k so I am ok I think...