PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn your AC off?

uwhusky
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
This is a somewhat pointless question but for some reason I always turn my AC off (by pressing the button) a minute or so before I turn the car off. I'm not sure why I do this but I do and I can't remember if someone told me it's better on your AC system if you do this or if I just got in the habit on my own.

Anyone else?

550iMarine
07-02-2012, 08:18 AM
I do the same thing. I forgot where I picked this habit up from. But I have been doing it for years.

boramkiv
07-02-2012, 08:49 AM
:rofl: I do the same. For me it started when I realized that BMW's default climate setting is on, and I don't like the AC coming on as soon as I start the car. It takes about five seconds after start for the compressor to kick in if the AC button is on, but i'd rather do it myself.

HihoBrian
07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm poppingin from the e46 forum,but the reccomendation to turn the ac off a little early is to allow the ducting to purge out the cold air to avoid condensation and a musty smell over time. The same thing is done in home central air units automaticaly.

NoQuarter
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm poppingin from the e46 forum,but the reccomendation to turn the ac off a little early is to allow the ducting to purge out the cold air to avoid condensation and a musty smell over time. The same thing is done in home central air units automaticaly.

+1 :thumbup:

booyaazaa
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
That makes sense. I will have to start doing that.

themust
07-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I've always done that and now have a good reason.... It was also pointed out to me by a friend recently that, on hot days, I have no qualms about driving with my sunroof open and the AC on. I don't see why not and he said he was raised that you always have all windows, etc. closed during AC usage. Sure, the car won't cool as well, but why not have my cake and eat it, too?

burnie35
07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I've never turned the A/C off first for any car I've owned (that had A/C) ... never had any musty smell ... and I live in Florida!

All said and done, it sort of makes sense and may be a good idea.

Nube1kenobi
07-02-2012, 05:45 PM
^^^ +1... except for being in Florida. :)

TheThirdLaw
07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I always turned it off as well. I guess you can attribute it to habit.

Obiplay
07-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Dear God,
Thethirdlaw that has to be the cleanest e60 ive ever seen. what year is it?

miotoo
07-03-2012, 02:44 AM
The car I learned to drive on didn't have electronics to delay the compressor start, so my tutor told me to always make sure the a/c (as well as other power consumers like audio, lights etc) were off before shut down. This to make sure the battery is fully dedicated to cranking the engine for next start.

I have the habit since...

Mototifosi
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I too have always been in the habit. Depending on how hot it is outside I tend to turn it off when exiting the freeway and use windows and sunroof in the city....unless to hot out. When I do turn it off i crank the fan up to high to blow out the remaining cold air and re-aclimate the temps in the tunnels and tubes mostly to prevent the funky smells.

Amazing the bloke in FLA "don't have no funky smellzzzzz" as that most assuradley creates that moldy aroma leaving it on all the time.

I tend to not use it in the city for MPG reasons as well (e39 528i).

Turning off all the accessories was the norm back in the day for reasons stated above but I believe in the last 10 years or so when cranking over the car, all googads are on delays and do not drain the battery or pull power when starting. Correct me if I'm wrong.

TRS550
07-04-2012, 06:55 AM
If I am on the highway, the windows and sunroof are open. Even in this stretch of 95 degree and matching humidity days, I enjoy the outside air. AC comes on when I get in town and am going from light to light though as the heat/humidity is just too brutal at that point.

TheThirdLaw
07-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks Obiplay! It's an '04 and she is mostly garaged that's why.

w5lx
07-05-2012, 07:40 AM
I've had 4 BMW's over the past 12 years and the AC has never been turned off in any of them since the day I drove them off the lot with no ill effects. I've never had any foul odors from any of them as a result.