PDA

View Full Version : 2004 530i DIES after a few seconds

CORY52
07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi im new to the forum got my BMW about 6 months ago and love it. Now it was time for an oil change i changed it. ran fine when going through the reset steps for the service light went to the FGSNTR menu I backed out of it now it will start then shut down after a few seconds I read possibly key issue but then i switch keys and it will start and stay running but runs rough and will die if i rev it up any help with what it could be would be great NEED HELP ASAP supposed to drive 12 hrs to NY tomorrow

dwlink
07-02-2012, 04:57 PM
I'd just get a rental and deal with it after the holidays. Chances are that even a competent dealership wouldn't be able to fix this within a 1/2 day. Besides, even if they did fix it would you really want to risk a 12 hour drive with that car right after being out of the shop? Much better to drive it around town a little bit first to make sure its really fixed rather than being stranded in 90+ degree weather.

Gonna take a shot in the dark, but I'm gonna say alot of bad misfiring. Do you have an engine fault code reader? That would certainly help narrow things down.

CORY52
07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
that might be my only option I do not have a reader but it does not show a check engine light or any warning light for that. the only light that is on durring a system check is a passenger restraint system failure alert any other ideas.

It runs and idles rough with rpms going between 1000 to 500 in a constant cycle. if you turn the ac off it idles at a even 700 but once any throtle is applied the rev cycle starts again. im thinking it might have something to do with the alternator but not sure any other help?

CORY52
07-02-2012, 08:13 PM
taking it in to the shop tomorrow ill let you know what they say