PDA

View Full Version : M5 or M3?

karlallen90
07-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm getting ready to go back to Afghanistan and when I come back I want to get another car. I'm kind of up in the air about a new M3 or an older M5. It sucks that I have to go back again, but it allows me to go out and pay cash for a car that I want. I picked up a 525i not to long ago, I would keep that because I drive a lot for work and I'd rather put miles on that instead of a newer nice car. Anyways what do you guys think? I really like the M5 but a few of the pilots that I work with have the newer 4dr M3 and they're pretty sick. I haven't driven an M5 though, I don't get taken very seriously at the dealership when I go in there asking to look at a used M5. I always have to get a sales rep, they never come to me. Any input would be great, thanks.

phlfly
07-03-2012, 05:41 AM
M3 is more nimble, M5 is more power and a really good cruiser. You need a test drive. Just tell them you want to test drive, and if they say no, go another dealership.
I drove both cars, but I will go with M3, although I like M5 power, but reliability is worry me a lot, at least what I heard about.

crypto
07-03-2012, 07:00 AM
If they say 'no' then tell them to go f@#$ themselves and ask again. :-) Just explain exactly what you said above, that you're thinking about selling/trading your 525i and then ask to test drive both. Chances are your dealership is not going to have both an M5 and M3 of your liking in stock.. at least that's how it is here anyway. I was getting my car serviced at BMW of Sterling yesterday and test drove a 2006 M5 they have yesterday.. the only one they had in and they have no M3s on hand. I gather they sell quickly. They did have a brand new M6 in the show room though. Pretty nice looking but > $120,000... that one they might tell you 'no' to test driving without some kind of proof you're willing and able to purchase.

karlallen90
07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
They see that I'm only 22 and I guess they think I'm just there for a joy ride, I also don't really look much older then that either. I've even told them if they want to go ahead and run my credit score because I know what it is and I know I can afford to buy this car if I really wanted too. I've only had one person take me seriously and it was a younger girl, but it wasn't her call to let me test drive what I wanted to too. I do like the M3 though, it looks more aggressive. I think it has this look that says "I'm ready to destroy everyone". I'd go to another dealership but the only one close by is Nashville and I already have to make an hour drive for that. I do go on vacation to Chicago soon, they should have a good selection.

phlfly
07-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Like another member said just tell them this and ask for manager and explain him that you can pay.

550iMarine
07-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Was Red a color option on the 5 series in 2004? I have never seen a Red one before.

chelseafc
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
imola red is a great color.

karlallen90
07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't think red was an option. When I bought the car it had an 11 or 12 page car fax report just from the previous owner having routine maintenance done, so I knew it was taken care of pretty good. I also noticed that in a few spots there was white around some of the hinges. The dealership said the guy before me had it painted red because he was tired of white. I like it, I have yet to see another red E60. Its a bird poo magnet though.

dolfan13
07-06-2012, 06:03 AM
M5!

themust
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
First of all, you don't say whether you are going back to Afghanistan as serviceman or contractor. Either way, I thank you for your service! Secondly, as to your question, the other responses here are accurate as to performance differences. For me, the personal preference for the 5 has to do with luxury and size, both of which are important factors to me. No mistake to be made here.

booyaazaa
07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
First of all, you don't say whether you are going back to Afghanistan as serviceman or contractor. Either way, I thank you for your service! Secondly, as to your question, the other responses here are accurate as to performance differences. For me, the personal preference for the 5 has to do with luxury and size, both of which are important factors to me. No mistake to be made here.

I agree. Also it seems that I see M3's very frequently out here in Cali and not too often do I see a M5. But when I do see a M5 it looks magnificent. :bow:

TRS550
07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Anyone with a job can afford to buy an older M5.

Damn few can afford to maintain one though.

karlallen90
07-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks, I'm going back with the army, not a contractor. I wish though, you have guys making 5-6x doing the same thing I do. Anyways, yeah maintaining one is what I was kind of worried about, but I always keep around 8g just sitting there for emergency car purposes. As much as I would love to take that money and do upgrades and cool stuff, I know something would break and I won't have the money because I was using emergency fix money. I think 4g a year would be more then enough for routine maintenance. I'd rather pay to keep up with the car then not pay and have to fix something that is super costly because I wanted to be cheap.

UltimateDriving
07-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Honestly nothing beats the M5 V10 with an aftermarket exhaust. :bigpimp:

Any choice would be good, personally i would wait the new M3 comes out to see what they come up with, unless you want to grab an E90-92.