PDA

View Full Version : Rumored: Your Next BMW Could be built in the Netherlands?

tim330i
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
BMW is in talks with Japanese auto manufacture Mitsubishi to build cars at their Dutch based factory. The factory is currently producing the Mitsubishi Colt and Outlander SUV but production is scheduled to end at the end of the year.

BMW has been tight lipped on the details but with the growing number of cars in the pipe line BMW production capacity must be limited. It is also possible BMW could use the factory to build the growing line of MINI cars and SUVs.

Would a BMW built in the Neatherlands bother you? Would it be more or less appealing then a BMW's currently built in South Africa?

Source autonews.com (http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120628/COPY01/306289896/1193/bmw-says-it-is-in-talks-to-build-cars-at-mitsubishis-dutch-factory)

tturedraider
07-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I can't see how it would be any different than building them at the Magna Steyr plant in Austria, so, no I don't think it would be an issue for many consumers.

sea6speed
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
At least these cars will have the air intakes mounted a bit higher.

ProRail
07-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Where exactly would this be? If anything is better than Germany, it's the Netherlands.

Andrew*Debbie
07-16-2012, 06:46 AM
NedCar
Op de Baan 8
6121 SG Born
The Netherlands

News reports here say BMW is talking with Nedcar about a short term contract to assemble MINIs.
Nedcar is due to stop building cars for Mitsubishi at the end of 2012. BMW needs additional capacity but only until the expansion of their UK plants is complete.

Nedcar could be ideal. They are a complete all-in-one plant with a press shop, body shop, paint shop and final assembly all at one site. Nedcar is the old DAF plant. It became a Volvo plant when Volvo took over DAF. At some point the plant became a joint venture with Mitsubishi. We owned a US spec Volvo V40 that was built there.

http://www.nedcar.nl/content/view/164/77/lang,en/

ProRail
07-17-2012, 06:22 PM
NedCar
Op de Baan 8
6121 SG Born
The Netherlands

News reports here say BMW is talking with Nedcar about a short term contract to assemble MINIs.
Nedcar is due to stop building cars for Mitsubishi at the end of 2012. BMW needs additional capacity but only until the expansion of their UK plants is complete.

Nedcar could be ideal. They are a complete all-in-one plant with a press shop, body shop, paint shop and final assembly all at one site. Nedcar is the old DAF plant. It became a Volvo plant when Volvo took over DAF. At some point the plant became a joint venture with Mitsubishi. We owned a US spec Volvo V40 that was built there.

http://www.nedcar.nl/content/view/164/77/lang,en/

Aside from being the capital of smelly cheese, can someone please tell me where Limburg is? I could look it up on Mapquest, but I feel that people who bring it up should provide information.

Mandeville
11-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Limburg is the southern most province of Netherlands. At the center is the narrowest part of Netherlands, only about 5. km wide. The southern most large city and airport is Maastricht.

I spent a week in the Maastricht area during late Sept. It's a lovely area, not at all as crowded as many other areas, all above sea level and also the sunniest area of Netherlands.

Mandeville