PDA

View Full Version : Owners of Black Cars chime in...talk me into a black/black M Sport

Mototifosi
07-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Bare with me on this and read thru. I am well aware of how hard it is to find exactly what you want. BMW (as all manufacturers) had some really poor sales in 08 and 09 when the "shyte" hit the fan. So there are not alot of lease returns or trade ins out there as a result.

I told myself after buying my new 83 SAAB 900-S in "black" that I would never ever buy a black car again. I have been looking for 3 to 4 months to find an 09 535 with Sport, Nav,PDC, L7, Split folding seats, Sat, iPod USB, Comfort Access in light / light colors. Found several that came close but no cigar until yesterday. Of course it's black / black and an "M"Sport to boot.:mad:

I have heard that BMW now has materials in the glass and elsewhere that reflects heat but don't know if that's true or if so, available on the 09's.

So here is where I could use your help in pushing me over to the "dark side". How do you guys keep your black car clean (no swirls) waxed and cool? Maybe you officienado's can tell me of some tricks, products, etc...that will help living with the black. To keep the heat down, the car has tinted windows already. I use a reflective shield for the front windshield too. Nothing looks as dramatic as black when polished up right. I am anal and black is WAY to hard to keep up not to mention the heat here in Nor Cal. I am in and out of the car almost everday and dread the heat build up via the metal and seats.

Let the feedbackening begin!

Thanks in advance...

mikeriley
07-04-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm a fan of black and light colors. From my e pertinence the black e60 is outstanding!

gcvt
07-04-2012, 01:09 AM
I see we live in the same area, but SJ is a bit warmer than SF. My first black car was purchased in the mid 1980's. Swore I'd never do that again! Then I bought my black 550 a year and a half ago. I spent a few hundred bucks on http://www.griotsgarage.com and have everything I need to keep mine looking like glass. It's not that hard, but I actually enjoy detailing my car.

If you found a car you really want, buy it! Deal with heat and detailing issues later.

Mototifosi
07-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Deeeaaaammm that looks nice gcvt ! Appreciate your input. But I know whats involved. How do you keep yours clean and swirl free? Or is it "swirl" free? I am anal so I know it would take me hours. I have given in with my Silver e39 and have been taking it to the car wash. Its got 165k on the clock and frankly its worth the $15. as I don't have lower back pain for a few days! :rofl: But I'm pretty sure I would never take this car to a car wash, especially being black.

How does the "Parked Car Ventilation" work on a scale from 1 to 10? You guys in AZ, NV, TX, So Cal? Does it do a good job of negating the heat? How do you handle the heat generated from "black/black? Do "tinted" windows make a difference? Was I correct about BMW putting UV repellent in their windows or paint?

So tell me what your secret is for keeping it pristine? New waxes out there or finishes that have stuff melt off? What are you guys using to keep them clean? What is your routine? How do you keep the swirls at bay while washing? Leave it in the garage is my guess.

With so many views and only 2 responses I think the "silence" is telling me something. They all know! huh.

Thanks again in advance.
On the fence....

borderchris
07-04-2012, 09:05 AM
With so many views and only 2 responses I think the "silence" is telling me something. They all know! huh.
On the fence....

It's silent because you've been asking the same questions since the beginning of June. So get off the fence and go buy a car, man!

If you need a forum to help you decide, then you're not ready to purchase- Sorry for being direct, but that's how this works. Buy a car, then talk about it. Until then, you're asking questions that you already know the answers to...

My point is that nobody is going to say "don't buy it" (at least sincerely). Good luck in your travels.

Oh- and yes, buy it.

Mototifosi
07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Border Chris! Thanks for your input! It appears you are a man of your word. "You can be a pain"! :rofl: I'm sure that was not your intention. I feel your pain when dealing with the public.

Now cut me some slack here, I have not asked the same questions if you did your research. Black and how to take care of it were never posed. And the few questions I did ask (wheels, gas mileage) were asked while searching for a car that had all the options and colors that were right for me. I had no idea how difficult it would be. Sorry, thought that this was an informational site where folks shared their experiences and knowledge....yes?

As I stated, it has taken me several months to find a car with all the googads on it that I want and now that I have found one it's just my luck it happens to be black/black. The 2 colors I really didn't want. Hence my seeking feedback from folks who have them and what thier experiences are, what thier routine might be and products to help ease the work load of owning black.

From your avatar yours appears to be black. Any tips or tricks to share?

l1tech
07-04-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm in Phoenix so the heat i ssomething we live with. Mine is black/black and honestly it is no worse heat wise than my light colored Tundra. Naturally the windows are tinted 5% on the rear doors and rear glass and 15% on the front doors. When the car is parked I have a BMW sunshade that does an incredible job of blocking the heat. The parked car ventiliation gets set to come on at a certain time and run for a certain amunt of time so unless you know when you are going to be coming out to your car it is uselss adn the manual states be careful of how you use it because of it draws alot of juice from the battery, with that said I have never used it and don't plan to.

As far as washing it goes...black sucks unless it is metallic. The metallic paint helps detract from the swirls that you are going to get no matter what you do and if you are a busy person there just simply isn't enough time in your schedule to properly maintain the appearance of the car yourself, now add that to the 100 degree heat at 9 am in Phoenix and doing the car yourself becomes an impossibility. I am fortunate enough to have a very good mobile detail guy that comes to my shop every 2 weeks to do our vehicles and every 6 months the car gets polished and waxed, sure it cost alot more than your local car wash but the results are not compareable adn it frees up time for me to spend with the family so it is well worth it.

After my last black Lexus I swore I would never buy anopther black car and was looking for a white E60 when I came across the one I have now which was too good of a deal to pass up, and lets face it black/black when it is properly cared for just can't be beat.

PaschkeBMW
07-04-2012, 11:53 AM
I have 2010 E60 535ix in carbon black with black interior and live in Cincinnati. We have had 90 & 100 degree days and the car after sitting for several hours is unbearable! I have no easy solutions except the windshield shade and cracking the sunroof? My car is more of a deep blue in the sun and black in the shade, but struggle with the same issues keeping it clean. I have the M pkg with M wheels, so the cars looks great when clean. I keep it waxed, every 3 months or so will help keep it looking good longer between washes. My biggest issue was the brake dust on the silver M wheels that came with the car. I recently upgraded to actual M5 19" wheels that are hyperblack which hides some of the dust.

Good luck deciding, my opinion is the black pros out weigh the cons!
Thanks,
Scott

Jaycal3
07-04-2012, 12:19 PM
A little tint, and a little more time spent cleaning and waxing and there is NOTHING better than a black car... just do it already!

TRS550
07-04-2012, 05:54 PM
My last Bimmer was triple black. That car was hot even in the dead of winter.

My 550 is Monaco Blue withe the tan interior. Much better in terms of how hot the car feels but more importantly, how quickly it cools down. How much of that is a function of a better AC system in my E60 vs the old E36.....?

Hobbes57
07-04-2012, 07:28 PM
New to the boards and I can't speak to a black exterior, but even with a black interior..in the South...only takes a couple of minutes on Max AC to cool down.

motodood79
07-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Only drive it at night. It will always shine.

borderchris
07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Only drive it at night. It will always shine.

'Zactly. Then rinse it off and dry it with about 100MPH. ;)

bbetner
07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Impossible to keep clean is right, but I love my black on black 09 535xi. When clean it is sooooooooooooo nice. Pull the trigger. You'll love it. And enjoy the 30 minute meditation session each week cleaning it. I have a nice self wash booth around the corner and take my own detailing products and chamois. A black car detailing spray/wipe is a must.

w5lx
07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
There is nothing more dramatic than black.

Keep it garaged.
Never let your dealer wash your car. Most use rotating brushes in their car wash.
Use brushless car was only.
Dry with clean chamois. Towels collect dirt/dust particles and will scratch.
Don't wipe dust off with your micro-fiber or any other kind of rag.

All the above will help you avoid leaving swirls on black cars.

Keep a coat of quality wax on the car. I wax at least twice a year. Once before winter, and once before summer.

Don't get upset if you see some minor imperfections in bright sunlight. No one else will see them.

Enjoy your black car. They are beautiful.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/w5lx/528ifrontcloudy.jpg

DaIceCreaMan
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I live in atlanta and there is No way around the heat man... It is what it is. I had a black truck previously with tan interior and the BMW is just as hot but cools down a lot better. Mine is black on black 550i with tinted windows and m wheels and yea i dislike the brake dust more so than the heat but that's just me.

firemedic521
07-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Tucson AZ, black on black 750i. I have been using optimum sealant. Carnuba wax and turtle wax black car quick detailer. I give it a once over every day with a California duster. The car turns heads and looks mean, when I can get it away from my wife- I detail it she drives. In Tucson it is impossible to beat the heat but 5% tint all the way around helps a lot. It's not legal here but I take my chances.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

mcwoods
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I have a 2008 550i, Jet Black on Black with Anthracite Headliner. I like the "cave" feel that it creates, the lack of glare or brightness inside the car keeps my eyes rested. It looks incredible and, in reality, doesn't get any hotter than my friends tan interior.

To stay cool: put a good tint on the windows, crack the sunroof, and set the parked car ventilation (a nice sounding feature that never seems to do much). When you get inside, roll the windows down for a minute and turn the AC onto Max --- cools off in no time flat. Better yet, park in the shade.

They are fantastic cars, you can't really go wrong with any color combo, just buy one and enjoy.

Mototifosi
07-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to share your experience, advise and humor! Everyone had valid points to consider.... and when clean, there is "nothing" as dramatic as black to be sure.

Will update thread when purchased.

gcvt
07-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Deeeaaaammm that looks nice gcvt ! Appreciate your input. But I know whats involved. How do you keep yours clean and swirl free? Or is it "swirl" free? I am anal so I know it would take me hours. I have given in with my Silver e39 and have been taking it to the car wash. Its got 165k on the clock and frankly its worth the $15. as I don't have lower back pain for a few days! :rofl: But I'm pretty sure I would never take this car to a car wash, especially being black.

Thanks for the compliment! I bought the 6" Random Orbital from Griot's along with their polishes. I am completely swirl-free thanks to this setup. They have a good video on Youtube you may want to check out :thumbup:

BMWFAN275
07-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Most important thing is to find a wash that does it by hand. I use Splash and get a great wash including the wheels for about $20. I remind them to use clean mitts before each wash. The car still looks brand new. I use a quick wax once per month and once in a while, use a good carnuba wax.
Heat is not a factor for me. I rarely leave the car in the sun. When you unlock, hold the key fob on the secong squeeze, all the windows and sunroof will open.

themust
07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Black Sucks!!!! That's the bottom line. I'm here in the South Bay and Peninsula, so have similar climate to SJ. It is beautiful, however, when clean. I sometimes wash mine twice per week! The break dust is the worst. Swirls are difficult but I just tried a cheap wax from Turtle wax specifically for black cars. Seems to help a bit but don't do it when the car is warm as it will leave streaks. I park mine in the garage at home and at work, so temp isn't an issue really. Windows are tinted so that helps and the A/C is strong. Never used the auto-vent system so can't speak to that. Have you already gotten the car? If not do it and don't look back. I had a silver e39 (528i) as well which I loved and this one is superior in almost every way.

550i/memphis
07-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Hand wash. 2 car wash buckets and mitts. one for the car and one for the wheels due to brake dust materials . DO NOT MIX them up! Metro blow/vac combo. Blow dry the car. The less you touch the car, the clear coat stays Prestine. For the Wax, check into "Swiss Vax" on line. Alittle pricey but worth it.

Gilgorm
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
I just traded my 08 535i with Black Sapphire/Nat. Brown. Clean the car and wait for the first fly to pass over and crap on your car. You will see it. But the car when clean is the best.
BTW, 35% tint cuts down significantly on the interior heat.
Never used the 'parked car ventilation' because of battery concerns and inability to time when returning to car. Double push on key fob lowers windows to quickly cool the really hot stuff before you get in.
Don't forget you are inside when driving so go for it if its what you want.

Mototifosi
08-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Thought I would update the thread...

Thank you "ALL" for taking a minute to share your hints, tips and tricks! Last week I purchased a "Neptune Blue" 09' Sport with tan interior, 25k on the clock and "Certified till the end of 2015". The car only lacks M Sport body kit and split folding seats.... which i will be adding (not the seats) soon and style 172 rims from 550i Sport. It has brand new Bridgstone RE 050A Potenza's of which are for sale in the "Classified" forum. They have 300 miles on them. TireRack is $1400. shipped for these, I'll take $850 / offer if anyone is interested. Looking for the "Style 172's" if you know of any.

There is a lot of great info from you all even if the car is not black and I will use a lot of it.

Thank you again for your comments.

Cheers,
Steve

Theduke
08-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Post a pic - love to See it. I don't think you will be sad about not getting a black car - it is hands down the biggest pain in the ass to keep clean. It does look good, though.

PaschkeBMW
08-26-2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.oemwheelsplus.com/

Great place to get replica BMW wheels. I have 2010 535ix with M package and upgraded to 19" wheels and bought them from there. I receive comments all the time, even from BMW dealership.

Kswan23
08-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Thinking back, the last 4 cars I've owned have been Blk so comparative speaking, I may not be your best source. I live in Atlanta and have a Blk on Blk 530i. All in all, my car doesn't get that hot. Of course, I have tented windows (as dark as legal is).

In regards to detailing, the previous owner of my car kept the paint immaculate. No blemishes at all so when I bought it, I wanted to keep it as pristine as he did. I started doing alot of blog searches on detailing Blk cars. Keep from swirls, 2 bucket wash always. Try to touch the car as least as possible when you can.

I also bought detailing spray from Zaino. The z-6 and z-8. I'd have to say I do not condone these products. I believe there are better ones out there.

After all of this, i still get minor swirl marks. I don't know how the previous owner did it but Blk cars are just sexy and worth it.