PDA

View Full Version : Indicator Light

Felishad1968
07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
When I start my 2005 530i, for the last few days an indicator light comes on that sort of looks like a sun. I have searched my manual and don't know what it means. Does anyone know?

Additionally, occasionally, when it is warm outside, my check engine light comes on. Then when the weather is cooler it just goes off. I was told it could be the thermostat sensor by one mechanic. Then another told me I needed a new thermostat. Any ideas? It's hard to trust people nowadays, especially when I am a woman and have no clue who's telling the truth are trying to take my money...

Any assistance would be helpful....:drive:

rijc99
07-05-2012, 12:20 PM
The only indicator light that looks like a sun that comes to mind is the light failure warning.

Does your car overheat or take a longer time to warm up? That would tell you if the thermostat is good or not. If it takes a long time to warm up it could be the thermostat is stuck open and this will trigger a light. If it on occasion sticks closed it will overheat.

Felishad1968
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Ok my left front light is out. Thanks

No it does not overheat or take long to warm up. It starts fine and runs fine. I want to take it on a road trip, but I am concerned with that Check Engine Light coming on periodically.

rijc99
07-05-2012, 01:06 PM
If the car drives fine and only the light comes on intermittently it should be ok. It could be an evap system leak or gas cap neither of which will seriously affect drivability.

If you feel the car doesn't drive normal or shakes or hesitates then it could be something to have it further diagnosed. Most parts store can pull the code for you. Post the code.

Felishad1968
07-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Code?

rijc99
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Check engine light means there is a code stored in the computer. Go to an auto parts store. They will connect a reader to your OBDII (On board diagnostic) port and read the historic, active or pending codes. They should do it for free.

Post the codes here.