PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Oil Consumption and Solution

suntan
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi! I've not been posting very much, but have benefitted a lot from the information from other members, so now it's my turn to share! My wife's 2006 550i recently developed an excessive oil consumption issue - basically, the car would consume a quart of oil every 1000 miles or less. That seemed ridiculously high to me. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a crankcase ventilation valve issue. They replaced the valve for around $200 (I know, yikes!). They also did an oil+filter change at the same time.

After this was done, however, the situation actually got worst! It took no more than 10 days for the iDrive to pipe up again about us needing to fill-up with a quart. We did so, then took it in to the dealer. This time, they drained out all the oil (said it was actually 1 quart in excess!), and then measured the amount properly and put back the correct amount that should be there. They also mentioned that it could be an oil sensor issue, and to come back if we get the low-oil warning again.

So far, after 1000 miles, the oil level is still at maximum (5 bars!). So, seems that the crankcase ventilation valve was the issue after all. Not sure why we got the warning above; am guessing things probably needed to be reset or something.

Anyway, hope this info is helpful!