PDA

View Full Version : Is BMW paint special?

midair
07-05-2012, 03:59 PM
By special, I mean magical. Why does it attract bird poop and plenty of it within hours after a wash and detailing?

burnie35
07-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes

NoQuarter
07-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Mine is always in a straight line with multiple hits like I was strafed!

bikerdib
07-05-2012, 05:38 PM
When I visit my girlfriend at her house I park in front of her garage under a tree. If I"m on one of my bikes or in my truck it's no problem, I walk out to a clean vehicle. But in my 5 it is a 50/50 chance that it will be "painted" when I walk up to it. :rofl:

karlallen90
07-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I just thought it was because my car was bright red and maybe birds had an attraction to it.

Mac Hadley
07-06-2012, 04:35 AM
I just thought it was because my car was bright red and maybe birds had an attraction to it.

I've seen this issue of bird droppings and paint colors recently raised, and some colors attract birds more than others. URL to a British study is below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/21/these-car-colors-attract-the-most-bird-poop/

ChrisTO
07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
where's the correlation to % of cars sold with that colour?

well i guess like reading material for humans...they prefer different colours. :)

I've seen this issue of bird droppings and paint colors recently raised, and some colors attract birds more than others. URL to a British study is below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/21/these-car-colors-attract-the-most-bird-poop/

Mac Hadley
07-07-2012, 04:25 AM
where's the correlation to % of cars sold with that colour?

well i guess like reading material for humans...they prefer different colours. :)

Yes the correlation and break out of % of red cars, etc. in the study is needed, but unfrotunately unmentioned. I was unable to find another study, save the one done by the Brits.

midair
07-10-2012, 03:58 PM

The study also doe not explain how all birds independent of type can precisely calculate, while in mid-flight, the required speed and angle of attack to maximize coverage with minimum volume of a dropping. NASA doesn't even have computers that can do this!

I'm convinced it's not the vehicle color but directly related to its cleanliness. When was the last time you saw an ol' dirty beater that was splattered?