PDA

View Full Version : cost of scheduled maintenance (from year 4 to year 6)

mikewebq
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Hello All,

I am trying to decide if I should get the Maintenance Upgrade plan for $1895. My 2008 528i is a CPO so I already have an extended warranty. I have 35k miles on my car now and I think I will be adding about 9-10k per year.

iDrive shows that I will have to replace my front brakes in 11,000 miles and back in 17,000 miles so it looks like this is something that will come up in the next 2 years. BMW of Sterling charges about $850 for each of those repairs. I may have to do 2 oil changes as well. it looks to me that I will break even. I am trying to figure if there is any advantage in paying this amount in advance. Is there anything else that I may have to do as part of scheduled maintenance for the next 2 years?

I am not a DIY person and I dont know of a good indy mechanic so the dealership seems to be the only option for now.

sea6speed
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
There are several well regarded Indy mechanics within a few miles of BMW of Sterling. If you're already out in Loudoun county, the dealer is just one option.

bimmerfan52
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Might also see brake fluid (unless you included that with pads and rotors), engine air filter, cabin filters and belts.

If you want to keep the car long term you should be have one oil change done at your expense in between the dealers 12K-15K drain intervals. Unless you are doing almost purely highway driving 15K (or even 9K in your case if the CBM is prompting you to do oil changes once per year) is too long to be sure your oil additives haven't largely disappeared before the oil is changed.

mikewebq
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Any suggestions if I should go with the maintenance plan based on my situation?

How much would it cost if I go to an Indy mechanic?

boramkiv
07-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Well the CPO takes you to 100,000 miles and you have about 65K left. The CPO adds an additional 2 years. I think it may be a little too early to buy an $1800 warranty (which is very good pricewise). You could wait until you're almost out of CPO before purchasing another. A big factor is if you plan on keeping the car for the next 2 years because you may not drive 65k in 2 years. Even with the CPO you still want to find a good indy as not everything is covered. Basically if you could throw $1800 into a warranty now, you should save it for those minor repairs that "will" arise and not covered under CPO. *cough* bushings *cough*

bkun
07-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Any suggestions if I should go with the maintenance plan based on my situation?

How much would it cost if I go to an Indy mechanic?

I bought mine from Sterling last summer and purchase the maintenance plan. I guess, they quoted your 200$ less. I think the investment is recovered if both breaks and pads are replaced during the period. This doesn't include any other regular maintenance that CBS may indicate.

Neubs1
07-07-2012, 06:46 AM
When I purchased new in Jan of 2009, I added the extended maint to 100,000, thinking about the approx break-even aspects with a complete brake job around 70,000 miles, and the oil and brake fluid changes. I also perform Old School Maint on my own.

I just had the Dealer perform an oil change because it had been 12 month since they had done one.

I had forgotten that the oil change interval was CBS or time-based.

Cheers,
Neubs

dolfan13
07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
About the cost of a new corolla.

rijc99
07-07-2012, 12:36 PM
It seems like everyone says at best you'll break even. If you're only going to break even why do it? Keep your money and pay as it comes up. It limits your option of going somewhere else or doing your own work. Plus you may or may not keep the car that long.

The services covered by the extended maintenance program is very short. If you were debating an extended warranty then I'd say maybe.

bkun
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
If the time machine rollback to last year, I wouldn't buy the maintenance plan again.

mikewebq
07-07-2012, 09:54 PM
I am wondering the same as rijc99: if I just break even then there is no advantage in paying up front. I understand I won't get roadside assistance from BMW :) . I guess if I have to replace belts or spark plugs in the next 2 yrs then I might save some $ otherwise based on the comments it doesn't look like a good idea to purchase the maintenance plan.

Does the CPO extended warranty becomes void if an Indy mechanic works on my car? If so then I guess il have to stick with the dealership.

@bkun: $1875 was quoted by pacificbmw (not sterling)

mikewebq
07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
If the time machine rollback to last year, I wouldn't buy the maintenance plan again.

why?

mikewebq
07-13-2012, 08:29 AM
I had been to the dealer and these are the services that will be needed (and the costs), I thought I'd post it in case someone else is in the same boat as I am :)

Standard scope $75
Statutory Vehicle Inspection $165
Engine Oil $165
Front Brake $900
Rear Brake $900
Brake Fluid $150
Vehicle Check $160
Intake Silencer $180
Microfilter $225

heffdiddy
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
pay as you go. even better would be to find a good indy for that stuff and then you will save even more.

tiger16
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Intake Silencer $180
Microfilter $225

These two items are easy to remove and replace. If you are a novice just you tube a video and save lots of money:D