PDA

View Full Version : Trinity 12W Angel Eyes w/pics Installation Comments

uwhusky
07-07-2012, 06:04 PM
After a little headache, I was able to get my new angel eyes installed. They are the new 12W from Trinity.

I was unable to find video online showing anything other than complete removal of the headlamp. I did this on the first install but please note, for newer e60, you absolutely DO NOT need to remove the headlamp. On the second headlamp, I was able to easily do the install without removing the headlamp.

First picture: the new hardware next to the old, burnt out bulb.
Second picture: new angel eye vs oem angel eye
Third picture: both new angel eyes.

Pictures are taken in my garage with the garage door open, about 5:30pm in the evening and a bit overcast but not much. It's definately not pure sunlight.

The outer ring is definately dimmer than the inside ring. The pictures seem more dim than in real life...not sure why.

I'm a little concerned about the wires and plastic pieces bouncing around inside the headlamp. I did notice some glass pieces in there. I put them in such a way that I'm hoping they won't become dis-lodged. Anyone have any recommendations on this as to what they did or is it nothing to worry about?

Please respond back or email me with any questions or comments.

ims0sikh
07-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey, I just bought these lights too and was wondering could you describe how you did it with out removing the headlamp? I think I found the same video as you with the guy pulling out the whole headlamp...

BTW your car looks awesome with the new AE's. You have a night shot of them?

rijc99
07-09-2012, 06:31 PM
On LCI cars. If you look on the top of the headlight unit you will see in the middle, a black screw cap about the diameter of a coke can. Unscrew this and you'll see a H8 bulb. When I get a chance tonight I'll post some pics.

Once you open the screw cap, the light bulb is exposed and removed by turning it toward the center of the car. Once you've unlocked the bulb just pull it straight back and replace it with the LED unit.

You can't miss it. It's the only large removable cap on the center of the headlight accessible from the top. It's positioned about 45 degrees and angled toward the center point of the engine.

rijc99
07-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Alright. Not exactly in the middle. But the cap is pretty obvious in the picture.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy211/lemontree2004/e7f1225f.jpg

BY THE WAY. This is the drivers side.

ims0sikh
07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Wow! Thanks for the quick response.

I see the cap you're talking about. I went and checked it out on my car. So I don't have to unscrew anything? Just remove the cap and replace the bulb?

I don't have time to do it now but I will try later on and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help. I'm at noob at this kind of stuff...

rijc99
07-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Yep. It's right behind it. Remove the cap and you will see the bulb. Open the hood and remove the cap. Let it sit for a few minutes before you go to work on it. It will be hot. If your car is outside and the humidity is high then leave the cap on and cool it with just the hood open. It'll take longer but you won't risk condensation getting in there.

uwhusky
07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Hey, I just bought these lights too and was wondering could you describe how you did it with out removing the headlamp? I think I found the same video as you with the guy pulling out the whole headlamp...

BTW your car looks awesome with the new AE's. You have a night shot of them?

I'll post pics of a night shot later tonight (have to wait for night time :)). You already got your answers on how to replace the bulb. It's easy.

gixman
07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
After a little headache, I was able to get my new angel eyes installed. They are the new 12W from Trinity.

I was unable to find video online showing anything other than complete removal of the headlamp. I did this on the first install but please note, for newer e60, you absolutely DO NOT need to remove the headlamp. On the second headlamp, I was able to easily do the install without removing the headlamp.

Pictures are taken in my garage with the garage door open, about 5:30pm in the evening and a bit overcast but not much. It's definately not pure sunlight.

The outer ring is definately dimmer than the inside ring. The pictures seem more dim than in real life...not sure why.

I'm a little concerned about the wires and plastic pieces bouncing around inside the headlamp. I did notice some glass pieces in there. I put them in such a way that I'm hoping they won't become dis-lodged. Anyone have any recommendations on this as to what they did or is it nothing to worry about?

Did you get any radio interfernce after installing these LED's?

nigel1959
07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
do you know where i could get an orginal key for 2009 538i. bmw parts has it but it is too expensive 299 pus 1hr labor to program it. thank you in advance

burnie35
07-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I can't believe you're so far off topic!

300zxmuro
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
I can't believe you're so far off topic!

hahahaha indeed!

ims0sikh
07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the help guys.. Hopefully I don't run into any problems or mess up anything.

As for the replacement key, I think BMW is the only place to get it and the price seems right. My mom had to get one for her Mercedes and it was around $300 too.

300zxmuro
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Your pictures look like my car with the BMS 4 LED. Not bad for the inner ring but the outer ring sucks. I am sending mine back and wait until something better comes out. I will meet with a guy who has the LUX V3 and it is promising for 245$.

uwhusky
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Gixman - no radio interference.

I agree, the outer ring is pretty lame but I'm going to keep them and live with it.

Just out of curiosity, how much is a replacement OEM bulb? If I were to return my 12V Trinity bulbs, I would probably just go OEM.

ims0sikh
07-10-2012, 03:29 PM
After seeing those LUX V3 I wish I had passed on the Trinity bulbs...

uwhusky
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
After seeing those LUX V3 I wish I had passed on the Trinity bulbs...

Me too but for $100 more I'm not sure they're worth it. That being said, I can still return my Trinity's and wait for the LUX V3 to come back in stock.

ims0sikh
07-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I think it would be worth it. Gives the car a more elegant look.

I might just keep the Trinity ones now because they charge a 25% restocking fee for returns.. maybe upgrade in the future.

rijc99
07-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Gixman - no radio interference.

I agree, the outer ring is pretty lame but I'm going to keep them and live with it.

Just out of curiosity, how much is a replacement OEM bulb? If I were to return my 12V Trinity bulbs, I would probably just go OEM.

Try this. Tune to a station that has a signal that is not as strong. Turn your DRL off via the iDrive interface. See if the signal improves.

A station with a strong signal won't display the signal loss as clearly.

booyaazaa
07-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Me too but for $100 more I'm not sure they're worth it. That being said, I can still return my Trinity's and wait for the LUX V3 to come back in stock.

Hey what's up uwhusky. You already don't like the trinity ae lights? The only ae light that can really overcome the light distribution issue with our ae lights is going with a hid kit. However you will have a lot more stuff to deal with like the ballasts and extra wiring. Hey did you get the message I sent back to you about the maps?

rijc99
07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Regarding the outer ring, try shifting from side to side. I found that all LED angel eyes have a very limited viewing angle where they look good. I was hoping the Lux units would be better but I've also seen on another post where the owner of a Lux unit said that when he saw his lights outside in the sunlight he lol'd.

uwhusky
07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
booyaazaa - I'm fine with my lights, not in love with them but don't hate them. I was expecting them to look more like the F10s but that is unrealistic and I'm fine with them and will keep them. If I was going to do the AEs all over again, I might reconsider but not certain.

I just took a picture of my AEs in the dark and I like them better now. :) I will post it tomorrow on this thread.

I got the PM you sent regarding the maps. I'll shoot you a PM back (I thought I did but maybe not).

rijc99
07-10-2012, 09:52 PM
booyaazaa - I'm fine with my lights, not in love with them but don't hate them. I was expecting them to look more like the F10s but that is unrealistic and I'm fine with them and will keep them. If I was going to do the AEs all over again, I might reconsider but not certain.

I just took a picture of my AEs in the dark and I like them better now. :) I will post it tomorrow on this thread.

I got the PM you sent regarding the maps. I'll shoot you a PM back (I thought I did but maybe not).

This is where we're all at. Hopefully someone will come up with something.

dhaf
07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I just installed them - took 10 minutes; but I'd installed the 6W ones from John at Motorcepts before. These *aren't* really much - if at all - brighter. As someone mentioned on another thread - higher watts does not equal higher lumen output. I do like that they are instant on and fade/dim somewhat vs. the flickering I got with the 6W. Going to play around with them tomorrow evening to see if there's an optimum position for them to maximize brightness.

burnie35
07-11-2012, 07:12 AM

Me too! I got my AE's from BMS, but I think they're the same ... not bad though!

They certainly look better than OEM ...

uwhusky
07-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Here's a picture taken last night. Not sure why it's so blurry and you can't see the AEs rounded like the first picture. It may be due to using my iPhone camera and not the Canon I used in the first picture at the top of the thread.

ims0sikh
07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Looks awesome! I can't wait to put mine on.

ims0sikh
07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm trying to install mines right now but I'm having some trouble. Can you tell me if I have everything plugged in properly? What do I do with the red and white wire?:dunno:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ng4j6x.jpg

ims0sikh
07-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Never mind. I figured it out.. It wasn't hard at all and looks awesome. :thumbup:

booyaazaa
07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Here's a picture taken last night. Not sure why it's so blurry and you can't see the AEs rounded like the first picture. It may be due to using my iPhone camera and not the Canon I used in the first picture at the top of the thread.

They look good. I personally like the light output of the LEDs. The AE's were never meant to be a road path light source like headlights. I prefer them to be accent lighting. Actually one of the guys in NY from the 5series forum put PIAA ion yellow h8 fog lights in his AE's. Check it out, http://forums.5series.net/topic/124837-black-yellow/ I really liked the look soo much that I switched mine out and now I have really yellow AE's. I'm sure I'll put the lux back but right now my car looks possessed. :D

uwhusky
07-12-2012, 08:31 AM
ims0sikh, just out of curiosity, what did you do with the red and white wires? I didn't do anything with them. They're hanging free (if I remember correctly).

uwhusky
07-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I apparently don't have permission to view those pictures of the yellow fox in the AE location. Can you post some here as attachments?

dhaf
07-12-2012, 08:33 AM
ims0sikh, just out of curiosity, what did you do with the red and white wires? I didn't do anything with them. They're hanging free (if I remember correctly).

Not to butt in, but that's exactly what I did - leave it unhooked/free. I taped these up with electrical tape for some insulation but other than that, just let them be.

dhaf
07-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh yeah, and one other thing - the two wires that need to be hooked up (White & Blue), make sure you tape up the connection. The one on the passenger side popped off for me, and the light stopped working while I was driving - which threw an error code. Initially I thought I'd burned the headlights or something awful by monkeying around :yikes:.

ims0sikh
07-13-2012, 09:27 PM
I just left the red and white wires hanging in there. Taping them up would actually be good idea.. just in case.

colonelburke
12-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Good evening. I hate to resurrect this from the dead, but I was trying to install these earlier. I am having trouble inserting the new angel eye connector into the bulb receptical. I have a 2008 550. Did y'all have to kind of force it or anything? Thanks for the info on the pink and white wires. :thumbup:

colonelburke
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Just writing a follow-up as I figured it out, I just had to bend the contact just a hair. Everything looks fantastic. I noticed the outer ring thing people have mentioned, but I also noticed the outer ring wasn't as bright with the stock bulb either, so no big deal. I think its a great product and thanks to Nerwyll at Trinity for the help. :beerchug:

poliva21
12-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Guys it seems you know about this lights.. Question I saw som angel lights online from jdmtoy.com... I thought its a bit expensive.. Are they good? Can I find them cheaper? I have a 2010 528i

colonelburke
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Guys it seems you know about this lights.. Question I saw som angel lights online from jdmtoy.com... I thought its a bit expensive.. Are they good? Can I find them cheaper? I have a 2010 528i

Remember, cheaper does not always mean better or equal, and likely means less than adequate. I don't have vast experience, but I like these from Trinity and feel the price was good for the light and ease of installation. Anyway, good luck, I'm sure some others on here will share their experiences.

bdavid13
01-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Check out www.umnitza.com. I use both if their Ice Vxx for my e39 and e60. Love them both. $120 not a bad price....

poliva21
01-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks I will check it out

Beemer7077
01-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Hey there, nice 5 series it's very similar to mine.