PDA

View Full Version : H&R springs for M5 fit 545i??

thejodz
07-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey all. There's a guy in my area selling a H&R spring set for a 2005 M5 for a good price. Would these springs work okay on a 2004 545i?

The part number is 50463 and if you go on the H&R website that's the part # for a 2005 M5 alright, but if you look up the part # for a 2004 545i it's 50460. I did notice however that a 2005 550i also takes the same part number as a 2004 545i though.

Anyone know why the M5 kit would be different than the 550i? Any guesses what would be different between the 2 kits? Ride height? Spring seat design?

Thx
JT

borderchris
07-10-2012, 08:09 AM
The weights of the cars are different, as well as the spring rates. A set of Eibachs or H&Rs arn't exactly expensive- Just put on the right parts. You'll end up second guessing yourself. Also, used springs, especially of of an M5, can be trouble. The rear forces involved in a hard launch and front stress in hard braking are factors you should consider. Me personally? Seeing how cheap springs are, I wouldn't ever bolt on used ones.

thejodz
07-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Theyre not used theyre new in the box for $250 so about half price. Thats why Im interested. All I can think of is ride height.

borderchris
07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Theyre not used theyre new in the box for $250 so about half price. Thats why Im interested. All I can think of is ride height.

Whatever, bud- There are two part numbers for a reason. Different cars, different weight ratios, different spring rates. Trust me on this, though- You're driving the wrong car if you're looking to save a few bucks on springs.

There are going to be some repairs down the road that are going to be closer to $2000, not $250, so stand by. Again, just put the right parts on it; it's a BMW.

Happy motoring.

thejodz
07-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Sorry my money tree hasnt fully matured yet and isnt producing quite the amount of fruit as some other peoples. You dont think I know theres gonna be some expesive fixes down the road? Thats exactly why I want to save money where I can but do it sensibly and not compromise the car.

As it turns out there is a difference. The spring perches are a bit different due to the M5s adjustable suspension settings.

If your going to resond to a post at least have actual info instead of just assumptions like "there must be 2 part numbers for a reason" and financial opinions like "if youre not gonna spend money on springs you shouldnt be driving this car". I asked if anyone had technical info on what would be different between the two, not judement on how I spend my money---bud.

borderchris
07-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Sorry my money tree hasnt fully matured yet and isnt producing quite the amount of fruit as some other peoples. You dont think I know theres gonna be some expesive fixes down the road? Thats exactly why I want to save money where I can but do it sensibly and not compromise the car.

As it turns out there is a difference. The spring perches are a bit different due to the M5s adjustable suspension settings.

If your going to resond to a post at least have actual info instead of just assumptions like "there must be 2 part numbers for a reason" and financial opinions like "if youre not gonna spend money on springs you shouldnt be driving this car". I asked if anyone had technical info on what would be different between the two, not judement on how I spend my money---bud.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OK, there, professor. Last time I checked it was you trying to urban-engineer some non-model specific parts onto your car. Remind us all not to buy a used car from you, newb.