PDA

View Full Version : Nav DVD Player Not Working

uwhusky
07-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Been experiencing problems lately where my maps won't show up on my screen, instead it shows a bunch of numbers as if there was no nav DVD in the player. It's been hit and miss, sometimes showing the map and other times not. It might have to do with heat overall but it hasn't been unusually hot where I'm at and it didn't do it last summer.

I tried swapping out DVDs but it still happens.

I'll be calling my SA later this week. Anyone else had this problem and if so, what was the fix?

jim165
07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
DVD drive replacement is probably necessary. Very common problem and I'm right there in the same boat. The heat definitely affects the drive unit and often I can't get it to work until the interior has cooled down. Since my aftermarket warranty doesn't cover it, I'm looking at about $150+core. Install looks to be easy, but I'm too ham-fisted so off to a stereo shop for mine..

uwhusky
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Took my car in yesterday for the Navigation issue. As reminder, when it's hot it doesn't work and when it cools down it does, like clockwork. I have tried two separate DVDs and same problem both times so I think it's the unit itself.

Dealership called me last night to say they think it's the nav DVD and not the reader or unit. I call BS on that but they said they're going to do more testing on it today. If it's the unit, that would be covered under warrant (3rd party AUL) but I don't think the nav DVD is covered, which means I'd have to pay out of pocket if their diagnosis is correct.

uwhusky
07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Dealership is officially claiming it's the DVD. They're not going to charge me anything for the diagnosis but warranty does not cover a new DVD and they sell the DVD for $199.

I'm thinking I may just buy their DVD because then if it happens again, they'll return the DVD and admit it's the unit itself and replace it but if I don't buy their DVD and it happens again, they'll just claim it's a faulty DVD.

uwhusky
05-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Anyone have experience in replacing their Nav DVD drive? Was told today the Nav DVD drive is the problem so I need to replace it. They quoted about $500 - $600, which isn't worth it to me but I would like to have it working for cosmetic as well as re-sale reasons, just not for $600.

Anyone know who sells them for cheap and is it a tough install to do?

KLR4LIFE
05-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Anyone have experience in replacing their Nav DVD drive? Was told today the Nav DVD drive is the problem so I need to replace it. They quoted about $500 - $600, which isn't worth it to me but I would like to have it working for cosmetic as well as re-sale reasons, just not for $600.

Check eBay, im sure you will find a bunch.

jim165
05-20-2014, 02:27 PM

LOL, you got 2 more years of use out of it since your last post, eh?
PN is 65839273195
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NW13&mospid=50119&btnr=65_1453&hg=65&fg=50

ECS Tuning has one here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335i-N54_3.0L/Interior/Navigation/ES2643128/

BMW of SouthAtlanta supposedly has one for $137 with your old unit as a core:
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/REMAN-DVD-DRIVE/9896555/65839273195.html

uwhusky
05-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Mine works if the temperature is low and stops working when the temp gets hot. So about this time of the year, it stops working and then will work in the mornings or late evenings but during the day it's too hot.