PDA

View Full Version : If you have a 2004-2005 545i with high miles tell me how your car is doing

foxvader
07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Hello,

I am looking to buy a 2005 BMW 545i with 84,000 and lots have told me not to for various reasons......

So what I am asking if you reply to this thread telling me how your car is doing and if you love it, also how many miles. Hopefully, your miles are over 84,000. I really want to purchase this car but I am concerned with what I have "heard" about this model.

A quick I have this model and with this many miles and it's still going strong with only minor issues (or major).

Thanks

WillInDenver
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
72,000 miles on my 2005 545. I bought it in October 2007 with 29,000 miles.

Very premature bearing wear at about 30,000 miles. Replaced under factory warranty.
Transmission fluid leak repaired under CPO warranty at about 55,000 miles. This was the mechatronics sealing sleeve replacement, and it may have been expensive to pay for myself. At the same time I had the transmission reprogrammed at $135 to me.
It needed a thermostat replacement at about 65,000 miles, which cost $109 at my indy mechanic.
A bad alignment tore up a set of rear tires way before their time. Not the car's fault.

That's been it so far. I think it's been a good car, probably a little less trouble than my E53 X5 was. You might want to see about the mechatronics sleeve on the one you are looking at. Many of us have had this leak, which affects transmission performance. I've read reports of as much as $4000 to fix that.

foxvader
07-10-2012, 06:26 PM
thanks Will

the mectronics transmission sleeve has been replaced before they put it up for sale by the dealer.

Otherwise you are happy with the car?

I drove it and fell in love with it but I want to make a smart decision. I don't mind some maintenance for a car of that luxury but I don't want to be foolish either.

WillInDenver
07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
thanks Will

the mectronic transmission has been replaced before they put it up for sale

Setting that aside, mine's been extremely inexpensive to keep running. Knock on wood.

I will say that 75% or more of the miles I've put on the car have been to and from the airport, 45 miles each way at 75 MPH the whole time. Maybe the optimal usage pattern for car longevity.

I love the car. It's effortlessly capable and looks great. I'm reaching the point where I've had it a long time and I think about a lot of other cars - but mine is long since paid for, and I shudder at the thought of having to cough up $50,000 or more for a recent model CPO F10 that I might not like that much more.

bimmerfan52
07-10-2012, 07:45 PM
2004 545i AT Sport, Logic7, Cold Weather pkg
Purchased at 76K miles with 4 months left on Easy Care b-t-b warranty
Presently 83K miles - running well - Trans fluid, rear diff fluid, plugs, cabin filters, oil & filter since purchase

Repairs after purchase
78K Miles - Replaced flickering iDrive screen ($300 owner cost for labor out of $1800 total cost)
78K - Replaced original battery , reprogrammed entire vehicle ($269 owner cost) during iDrive screen repair
76K - Coolant Reservoir Tank and water temperature sensor o-ring ($350 under warranty)

Repairs by previous owner
75K – Front end thrust bearings and 4-wheel alignment, replaced coolant hose
75K - Leaking lower timing case cover gasket prompted dealer removal of engine and replacement of valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, upper timing cover gasket, lower timing cover gasket, upper oil pan gasket, oil pump to upper pan gasket, intake manifold gasket, valley pan cap cover, the “dreaded” water pipe, alternator bracket gasket, brake booster vacuum pump, water pump gasket, crank shaft front seal. Hoses, motor mounts, water pump, and internals of engine were all inspected and OK’d. ($6K paid by extended warranty)
74K – Replaced transmission pan and mechtronics sealing sleeve
65K- Replace vacuum supply line and oil pressure switch due to leak and computer fault
47K- Windshield washer pump replaced
34K - Replaced Xenon headlamp
32K- Replace AC air compressor and drier element
24K- Replace front and rear door frame seals

Damon54
07-11-2012, 08:43 AM
2005 / 545i with just over 100,000 but much of that has been a 35 mile trek each way Highway commute till now.
Had a mechatronic under warranty at around 95,000. I am not talking sleeve here, though that had to be replaced as well.

Have spent around $1500 on suspension parts post warranty. Half of this was the dealer looking for ways out of having to fix the tranny. $800.00 or so recommended by the Indie Mechanic I have chosen post BMW Warranty. Still tight & I love it. I knew going in there was going to be maintenance cost involved. This site helps me keep it in check.

Now of I can just get my desert racing friend that is sponsored by All German to work a few favors on that coolant part.

Do live in fear of having to fix the manifold coolant issue someday though.

WillInDenver
07-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Do live in fear of having to fix the manifold coolant issue someday though.That's on my mind as well.

dolfan13
07-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Wise old BMW owner once told me these cars are not for "The Faint of Heart".Needs to be almost a love affair.

repoman75
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
85K miles, 2008 535xi.

Bought it with 42K miles a year and half ago, not sure what the previous owner did.

Besides maintenance (tires, coolant flush, alignment) and mods (upgraded AEs, 3M invisible bra) and an accident (new front bumper which worked to my benefit), I've had the recall for the injectors done (no charge), a transmission leak fixed ($700), and now some hoses ($300) related to "Engine malfunction, reduced power" warning.

foxvader
07-11-2012, 12:00 PM
@repoman75
You are satisfied with the car? Does it feel strong and still like new? the one i drove was in showroom condition and had tons of power. What's your overall impression?

repoman75
07-11-2012, 12:07 PM
@repoman75
You are satisfied with the car? Does it feel strong and still like new? the one i drove was in showroom condition and had tons of power. What's your overall impression?

Love it. Besides the 2 issues (I don't care about the recall) that I've had to pay for, it has been superb. The power of this car when doing 70 and then accelerating is awesome. Not to mention the handling.

The only thing I would say is I really don't think the XI part is worth it... still slides a bit in the snow. So if you can get a 535i, do it.

It has all the options I wanted so I plan to keep it as long as it will go without serious maintenance.

mwhiteknight
07-11-2012, 03:15 PM
04 545 I. Bought 2 years ago now has 110 k miles on it. Replaced one coil. $45. One plastic valve $30. The rest is regular oil change. Tires It is very nice to drive and very reliable. I drive a lot more than my other car

foxvader
07-11-2012, 05:01 PM
04 545 I. Bought 2 years ago now has 110 k miles on it. Replaced one coil. $45. One plastic valve $30. The rest is regular oil change. Tires It is very nice to drive and very reliable. I drive a lot more than my other car

now that's what I would be hoping for

550iMarine
07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
It seems like buying our cars, we are at the mercy of how well it was maintained previously

foxvader
07-12-2012, 08:37 AM
@mwhiteknight
No leaking on the engine?
No coolant leaks?

mwhiteknight
07-12-2012, 09:20 AM
no coolant leak, last year summer I was driving slow in local road and message come on saying engine over heat . I pull over right away and open the hood very very worry since I have the whole family in the car and it over 110 degree outside. I do not want the engine to die at this moment. I open the hood and coolant reservoir is low so I top it up, wait 1 minutes and start the car again and everything is back to normal since then.

For oil leak, yes I do have slow oil leak on the valve cover gasket. The leak is slow enough to not concern about . Indy want about $600 to replace the gasket. I just keep driving like that and change my oil every 7K miles. My last car 740IL has the same engine and also oil leak . If the leak is slow enough that will NOT required adding more oil before oil change service then I will not be concern about it.

sunny 2005 bmw
07-12-2012, 09:20 AM
2005 545i owned it one year 67k.
Replaced water pump and resivor tank
Drive belt
Ccv
Thrust arms
Both front and rear window trim rubber seal
And now there is a very minor oil leak on the passenger timing cover.
I love the car and have done most of the work my self. I would get the car inspected very very carefully and put some money away for unexpected repairs. Just my tow cents

bimmerfan52
07-12-2012, 09:21 AM
It seems like buying our cars, we are at the mercy of how well it was maintained previously

I think so. Much more than other cars I have owned. Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Nissan are tough to kill, no matter what you do to them.
Porsche, MB, and certainly BMW are more sensitive to maintenance. The 15K drain intervals set up by BMW have caused real trouble, and every used BMW, especially leased ones, are suspect.

But if you are a "driver", the BMW fun factor is off the charts, and I'd say worth the trouble to pick through the chaff to find the used cars that were maintained.
If you are not a "driver" and just buy a BMW as another luxury car I would say get an Infiniti or Lexus instead. Many less headaches.

Extended warranty companies think so too. I priced a 545i and Lexus SC430 (roughly the same price new) of the same year and mileage for extended warranty coverage. The 545i was 2.5 times as expensive as the Lexus for exactly the same coverage.

mwhiteknight
07-12-2012, 09:24 AM
good point and that is why I do not buy lease return cars. People leased car beat the hell out of them and do not take care of them knowing that they will dump the car in 2 years and it will become someone else problems to fix.

jlsiber
07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Bought at 70k, I'm up to 77k now. Megatronic sleeve leak replaced under warranty. Idle surges a little at times they said it was normal. Reduce engine power light came on once but reset the next startup. Rear window trim rot fixed for $35. Nothing but oil change so far. I cleaned the MAF and throttle body when I got it just out of habit.

foxvader
07-12-2012, 11:24 AM
What is the MAF?

sunny 2005 bmw
07-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Mass air flow sensor. It controls air and fuel mixture

jlsiber
07-12-2012, 01:14 PM
And fox Vader I'm guessing your friends drive hondas

foxvader
07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I drive a Toyota 4runner which I have had no problems with ever and my friends recently are driving BMW's. that's what started the "fever"

My buddy has a newer, 2009 328xi, and my other buddy just bought an older, 2002 5 series with 148,000 miles on it.

My intent was to buy a 2009-2010 3 series but when I drove the 545i I could drive the 3 series.

dolfan13
07-12-2012, 05:00 PM
No way even close are your odds on a BMW being as trouble free as a Toyota.BMW are more like domestic in that respect,more hit or miss.Also something Toyota lacking if it fails on one it will fail on all.This is definitely a German car trait not Toyota!That being said I drive a 545i and have always driven a 5.The wife and kids are in the Toypta.

stilltheloc
07-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey man my '05 545i w/ 86,000 is doing well, all except for a knocking issue that the dealer says is a bad IBS sensor. Car usually drives like a million bucks and I love it. I would recommend getting a manual (that's what I have) because I hear of all sorts of transmission issues that I will never have! Its an awesome car just be prepared to love it(spend some money when minor things start to need replaced. I recommend getting the service manuals, Bentley Publishing makes them(two volumes) and are available on amazon.com for alittle over $100.

Enjoy!