PDA

View Full Version : '08 550i stick bogs in mid range

jminock
07-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I bought an '08 550i 6 speed stick in March. The throttle response is much slower than my '03 540i was. But lately (during hot weather) I've noticed that the engine seems to bog from around 2500 to 4500 rpms on acceleration - sometimes it even feels like it's missing - and then takes off like a turbo at the higher revs.

I'm taking it in to a dealer next week for that and a couple other things.

Any ideas in advance on the bogging problem appreciated.

John

rijc99
07-11-2012, 11:44 AM
I have similar issues with my 09 535i auto. Have been to the dealer numerous times and each time they tell me there is no problem. Which is BS because I can duplicate the issue. Let me know if you get some sort of resolution.

jminock
07-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Dealer #1 said they can't replicate it. But I can. So it's off to dealer #2.

Space grau 550i
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Dealer #1 said they can't replicate it.

BMW service lives by these infamous words, and will eventually die by it.

550Mocap
07-23-2012, 03:15 PM
It might be your clutch slipping. How many miles are on the car?

jminock
07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Only 38k miles, not the clutch. It feels like it is flooding, sometimes even missing. Then at 4500 it takes off like a turbo kicked in.

ArtchredTTU
07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
same issue but on the automatic. I might change the spark plugs and see if it helps. It has 56k miles

kelhasna
07-24-2012, 08:35 AM
John,
most likely your car needs a software update. take it to the dealer and have them drive it and see if they can duplicate the problem, if so then that is a good enough reason to update the DME (Digital Motor Electronics). you have to push for it.
I had a similar problem in the past whereas the car felt as if it had an RPm limiter at 4500 rpm, once they put in a new software it drove like a BMW is supposed to...
/K

Space grau 550i
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
John,
most likely your car needs a software update. take it to the dealer and have them drive it and see if they can duplicate the problem, if so then that is a good enough reason to update the DME (Digital Motor Electronics). you have to push for it.
I had a similar problem in the past whereas the car felt as if it had an RPm limiter at 4500 rpm, once they put in a new software it drove like a BMW is supposed to...
/K

OP, is your car still under warranty or is it a CPO?

I have had issues with my car not directly related to the OP's, but jerking and slaming into gears, and not coming to a smooth stop. I know that a DME update would probably be a resolve, but the dealer has refused to do it. They have told me twice at two different dealers that they can't replicate my concerns. Not to mentions the BS they tried to feed me of "that's how the sport transmissions behave". GTFO, that's a bunch of crap. Oh, and I have BMW extended warranty.

How do you "push for it" short of wanting strangle the SA at the dealerships?