PDA

View Full Version : Blind spots

Space grau 550i
07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Does anyone else have trouble with the blind spots in their e60? I find my ginormous beast a bit hard to see out of at times. Coming from an Infiniti G coupe, I struggle a bit when making multiple quick lanes changes. With my prior car, I only required one check over the shoulder, but with this car it's 2 checks over the shoulder or more. For me, the left pillar obscures my vision a bit.

Maybe it's just me still not getting used to driving such a bigger car after a year and half of ownership...

etnav382
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Have you tried setting up your mirrors like this video? I did and it helped a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyL-SjuJ8p4

Dking078
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
The E60 indeed has a large blind spot, big C pillar, smaller windows (compared to the E39).

Campfamily
07-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I've noticed that the head rests from the export seats create the biggest blind spots. Combined with the relatively small outside rearview mirrors, and making quick lane changes can be a bit of a challenge.

NoQuarter
07-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Public Service Announcement:

Nearly everyone has their mirrors adjusted incorrectly. Watch that video!

If you can see you own car in the side view mirror you need to learn how to adjust them properly!

bimmerrg
07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I agree with video on mirror settings. I got a letter from Statefarm long back on how to set the mirrors. To set the left side mirror, lean over to the glass on your driver side door window, adjust the mirror so you barely see your left side of the car. To adjust the right side mirror, lean over to the center of car, middle of rear view mirror, and adjust right side mirror so you barely see your right side of car.

These settings make you see a car coming behind thru rear view mirror first, then starts showing on either side of the mirror until it starts showing up on your direct eye on either side. You pretty much get 360 view with this setup. Very useful. I would not recommend stop looking over shoulder but this setup helps a lot. :thumbup:

Campfamily
07-13-2012, 02:29 AM
I really like the rear view mirrors that are on cars in Europe, where they are progressively curved the farther out the mirror you look. Really helps with viewing the blind spot. In driving a Ford Mondeo this week in the UK and the difference in the design of the mirror is very noticeable. Apparently, though, our safety geniuses won't allow those on our cars in the US.

Keith

boramkiv
07-13-2012, 09:35 AM
I always find it weird that the side view mirrors are referred to as rear view mirrors
and many people set them that way. You shouldn't be seeing the car directly behind you while looking in those mirrors while centered in your seat, that's what the mirror above the center windshield is for.

jim165
07-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Does anyone else have trouble with the blind spots in their e60? I find my ginormous beast a bit hard to see out of at times.

Maybe it's just me still not getting used to driving such a bigger car after a year and half of ownership...

:rofl: Com'on man, you make our cars sound like they are Buick Roadmasters!:rofl: These cars as smaller than an 8th gen Honda Accord sedan..:)

heffdiddy
07-13-2012, 10:47 AM
I've noticed that the head rests from the export seats create the biggest blind spots. Combined with the relatively small outside rearview mirrors, and making quick lane changes can be a bit of a challenge.

i agree that the headrest makes the biggest blind spot. i have almost backed into oncoming traffic a couple of times and almost pulled out into an oncoming car because i couldnt see them. i always check twice though and picked them up the second time. when seated regularly in the car and looking through the back passenger side window the headrest blocks more than half the view.

Space grau 550i
07-13-2012, 10:58 PM
:rofl: Com'on man, you make our cars sound like they are Buick Roadmasters!:rofl: These cars as smaller than an 8th gen Honda Accord sedan..:)

Definitely not a Roadmaster. lol. I just tend to feel the weight and size from time to time.

Wow, I'm shocked that the Honda is larger.