PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally pressed park button when the car in motion

Gregzou
07-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Yea, I know this is the last thing you want to do. What happened was, I was at a red light stop, and I pressed park when my car starting to rolling forward and I heard the engage. I was at very slow speed maybe 1-2 mph

Really want to know what happened:(

dwlink
07-13-2012, 02:29 PM
All you likely did was put a little stress on the pin that locks up everything in the transmission. Probably no worse than leaving your car parked on a steep hill without the parking brake. I wouldn't worry about it.

I believe around 5 mph or higher the transmission will not go into park as part of a safety feature. I don't know the exact speed, but certainly don't want to use my car as the experimental device to figure that one out.

Gregzou
07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
All you likely did was put a little stress on the pin that locks up everything in the transmission. Probably no worse than leaving your car parked on a steep hill without the parking brake. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thx man! I was so worried. Now feel much better.

Gregzou
07-13-2012, 02:41 PM

I believe around 5 mph or higher the transmission will not go into park as part of a safety feature. I don't know the exact speed, but certainly don't want to use my car as the experimental device to figure that one out.

Agree with u, I think higher than certain speed that will actually harm transmission the park won't engage then. And if lower than that speed may not harm the transmission that much. Yea, certainly won't test it though

bkun
07-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Maybe, if a member is selling his car, he can test this feature and post the findings on this board. :D

6spdg37s
07-14-2012, 08:08 AM

when I had my 750 I always wondered about this... never had the balls to try it lmao

dwlink
07-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Perhaps something to do the next time you have a loaner...

UltimateDriving
07-14-2012, 09:49 AM
To answer your question guys, this happened to me once in my previous E60.
It was a pre facelift 5 series so it didn't have the electronic "shifter" but instead was the regular one as all cars have.
Looked something like this: http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n593/mikejenkings/1.jpg

Well to make the story short, i was coming to a red light under heavy traffic at around 25kmh so i had the "bright" idea of setting the tranny to "Neutral" but instead of neutral i selected "Park" by mistake while rolling at around 20 kmh since it was night it was kind of hard to notice it but as soon as i selected "Park" the transmission started to make a very very high pitched and very fast ticking noise, i immediately stopped the car and put it back to "D".
I was really scared of blowing up the tranny hahahaha.
Drove that car for 10k miles more and there were no issues, no weird behavior, jerking or noises.

From that day i swore to myself never to do that again in any car . . . :bigpimp:

bimmerrg
07-15-2012, 06:13 AM
At high speeds, it shows "vehicle not stationary" or something like that on iDrive screen. I tried it once!!!

NoQuarter
07-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Nothing will happen. It is no big deal. it is all electronic and computer controlled. The car won't go into park and cause You to crash because a little button was pressed.

bigmacslim
07-15-2012, 07:58 AM
I was backing my car up in the driveway one time, I had the car in reverse and the door was open. I was probably rolling about 2-3 miles an hour and the tranny went into park. Apparently it's a safety feature in the BMW that you cannot move the car with the door open. My tranny made the same sound and came to a halt, nothing happened to the tranny, you should be ok.

TangoRed
07-15-2012, 08:55 AM
I was backing my car up in the driveway one time, I had the car in reverse and the door was open. I was probably rolling about 2-3 miles an hour and the tranny went into park. Apparently it's a safety feature in the BMW that you cannot move the car with the door open. My tranny made the same sound and came to a halt, nothing happened to the tranny, you should be ok.

Learned that the hard way. If you have the door open and you're rolling slowly, make sure you don't let off the brake because this will happen.

///Mariani
07-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I belive Mythbusters tried this, well reverse while in motion, and it would just shut off and give a check eng light. They also tried with a manual and it wouldnt even engage in reverse. I still dont have the testicular fortitude to try it though.