PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket side lenses?

teej09
07-13-2012, 03:44 PM
So here's the deal, I'm looking to purchase aftermarket side lenses for my 08 535i. Specifically these: http://www.bimmian.com/WeissLicht-LED-Side-Lenses-for-BMW-E60-5-Series

My question is what experience have people had with these if any, and did they experience any installation/error code issues? I know there was a threat on this a couple months back where people had mentioned flickering. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this and whether the problem continued for those who had?

If anyone knows better options or other dealers I am more than happy to hear about them. Thanks guys

borderchris
07-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Don't worry about codes - The side markers are not connected to CANBUS. I tried some single LED bulbs with no resistors and had no issues. I ended up removing them because they just wern't bright enough, in the day. Make sure you shop around- Don't be impressed with Weisslicht just because of their name- They're not German, and import all of their stuff from China, just like everyone else. Ebay has some decent LED examples for around $30, as do most other forum supporters as well.

boramkiv
07-13-2012, 07:31 PM
I got a cheap smoked LED set on eBay that said they didn't throw codes. I got them because the old ones were fading and ugly, you know. I can't remember the name as its been 2 years I've had them. The only issue is a short flashing on startup, but they're good and throw no codes. They serve their purpose and they look good. I think this should be an upgrade for everyone because the stock ones make the car look MUCH older than it is even with a mirror finish on the car!

CLE_BMW
07-16-2012, 09:50 AM
I have the smoked amber WeissLichts from bimmian. They were backordered when I bought them a few months ago, so they took a while to be delivered. A little pricy IMO, but I wanted LEDs and couldn't find anything else. Install was really easy - just pop them in similar to OEM units. Not sure if they flicker on start-up as I haven't checked while in the car, but there are no codes. Overall, I am satisfied with these and the smoked lenses complement the tinted windows.

Jaycal3
07-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I got my clear LED sidemarkers from JLEVI. They flicker slightly on startup only and are really bright. No codes. Great replacement and I would recommend them.

Rebound X3
07-16-2012, 08:20 PM
I got my clear LED sidemarkers from JLEVI. They flicker slightly on startup only and are really bright. No codes. Great replacement and I would recommend them.

Those are WeissLicht's. They are $5 cheaper, though.

Singhe60
07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Just ordered a set of smoked side markers for 28 plus 25 shipping off of eBay. I will let you know how it goes...

burnie35
07-19-2012, 02:39 PM
$25 shipping? Wow!

Singhe60
07-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Forgot to add that I'm Canadian! :)

booyaazaa
07-19-2012, 10:00 PM
$25 shipping? Wow!

Wow I was going to say the same thing.

teej09
07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
thanks for the input guys. definitely gonna shop around eBay before making any decisions.

another question: thoughts on smoked amber v smoked white? car is sapphire black and I'm just wondering if a white blinker may look out of place. i like the idea of having it pop though.

Singhe60
07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey,

I think the smoked white would look good.

I too have a black e60, I ordered the smoked side marker with chrome bulb (so no orange showing) but the bulb is actually amber. I want to look into a white bulb that would fit..

boramkiv
07-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I think smoked white would be nice, but I like keeping with local VA laws as they are insane at times. You are actually not supposed to modify your vehicle in any way. :rolleyes:
I got these on eBay for $25 over 2 years ago. I like how they light up and love the look when off. They came with a chrome trim.:thumbdwn: I threw that out. Wheather amber or white smoked is the way to go though.

gcvt
07-21-2012, 02:37 AM
I've purchased sets from both JLevi and Trinity. Both products were satisfactory.